WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

OK now onto that article.

So, full disclosure here. I work in engineering and I typically have worked in the oil and gas industry for the past decade. As much as I hate it, it pays well. This is the dilemma but I am hoping to get out of it within the next couple of years.

Why I am saying this is that most people don't realise that plastic is a product of the oil and gas industry. It's a petrochemical. There are many of these oil products about but plastic is the big one. We often don't realise how much plastic and in general oil there is in our lives. Your average household is full of oil, to put it simply. It's even in your clothes - polyester.

Did you know that plastic fiber gets released into the air when you walk wearing polyester and that during a wash cycle plastic fibers get washed into the drain? You're breathing in plastic fiber anytime you're outside around others. The clothing industry has a very bad environmental impact on the planet.

As with all things related to the oil and gas industry they WANT to keep things going as they are. What this means is the 'status quo'. They want us to think recycling, reusing and reducing are the ONLY way to do things. Why? Because it makes them tonnes of money of course and it's a lot easier for THEM. The plastic industry sees 'no reduction' in it's production of polymers in the near future, in fact it sees an increase. This means, you guessed it, MORE PLASTIC.

Companies are slowly (crawling is more like it) to full cycle product production but this is way late in the day. Not only that but companies still to this day just keep producing plastic products without contributing one single cent into it's recycling, reusing, reducing. When I mean companies I mean everything from manufactures of cars to planes to your grocery store (don't get me started with them...) No company is currently taking ANY responsibility for the plastic they produce and expect US and government to HANDLE the situation. They're expecting SCIENCE and others to sort things out FOR THEM.

This is complete and utter BS. Recycling is no longer a viable option and it never really was. Neither is reusing. The simple truth is NOW, reducing and preferably elimination is the ONLY option. Our planet and the life on it (including us) are being overwhelmed with plastic. To suggest that companies are expecting an INCREASE in the use of plastics when we should be going in reverse is obscene to say the least. Not only that but expect US to bear the responsibility for it is even more ridiculous.

But that's what you get when dealing with powerful industries like oil and gas. Keep in mind this the same industry that kept battery tech from getting better and putting clean energy down for decades.

We are so screwed. Especially when you add in the right wing political ideology that 'everything is fine'.

So as much as I like the ideas in the article it is very small comfort in the grand scheme of things. Do I think we should stop working on solutions? Of course not but I think the better one to start with is reducing and eliminating the single use plastic industry all together. That would be real progress. Then clean up, recycle and reuse what's already out there.

Most western countries have pretty pathetic recycling methods so to suggest in anyway we're ready for things is ludicrous. Even China couldn't handle the amount coming in... That should tell you everything.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

OK now onto that article.

So, full disclosure here. I work in engineering and I typically have worked in the oil and gas industry for the past decade. As much as I hate it, it pays well. This is the dilemma but I am hoping to get out of it within the next couple of years.

Why I am saying this is that most people don't realise that plastic is a product of the oil and gas industry. It's a petrochemical. There are many of these oil products about but plastic is the big one. We often don't realise how much plastic and in general oil there is in our lives. Your average household is full of oil, to put it simply. It's even in your clothes - polyester.

Did you know that plastic fiber gets released into the air when you walk wearing polyester and that during a wash cycle plastic fibers get washed into the drain? You're breathing in plastic fiber anytime you're outside around others. The clothing industry has a very bad environmental impact on the planet.

As with all things related to the oil and gas industry they WANT to keep things going as they are. What this means is the 'status quo'. They want us to think recycling, reusing and reducing are the ONLY way to do things. Why? Because it makes them tonnes of money of course and it's a lot easier for THEM. The plastic industry sees 'no reduction' in it's production of polymers in the near future, in fact it sees an increase. This means, you guessed it, MORE PLASTIC.

Companies are slowly (crawling is more like it) to full cycle product production but this is way late in the day. Not only that but companies still to this day just keep producing plastic products without contributing one single cent into it's recycling, reusing, reducing. When I mean companies I mean everything from manufactures of cars to planes to your grocery store (don't get me started with them...) No company is currently taking ANY responsibility for the plastic they produce and expect US and government to HANDLE the situation. They're expecting SCIENCE and others to sort things out FOR THEM.

This is complete and utter BS. Recycling is no longer a viable option and it never really was. Neither is reusing. The simple truth is NOW, reducing and preferably elimination is the ONLY option. Our planet and the life on it (including us) are being overwhelmed with plastic. To suggest that companies are expecting an INCREASE in the use of plastics when we should be going in reverse is obscene to say the least. Not only that but expect US to bear the responsibility for it is even more ridiculous.

But that's what you get when dealing with powerful industries like oil and gas. Keep in mind this the same industry that kept battery tech from getting better and putting clean energy down for decades.

We are so screwed. Especially when you add in the right wing political ideology that 'everything is fine'.

So as much as I like the ideas in the article it is very small comfort in the grand scheme of things. Do I think we should stop working on solutions? Of course not but I think the better one to start with is reducing and eliminating the single use plastic industry all together. That would be real progress. Then clean up, recycle and reuse what's already out there.

Most western countries have pretty pathetic recycling methods so to suggest in anyway we're ready for things is ludicrous. Even China couldn't handle the amount coming in... That should tell you everything.
We've got too many people on the planet. Too many bad habits molded in consumers by companies bent on $$$.
Yup. We are royally and unequivocally ****ed on this one.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We've got too many people on the planet. Too many bad habits molded in consumers by companies bent on $$$.
Yup. We are royally and unequivocally ****ed on this one.

Yes to everything you said.

Hope what I said was a good read. :)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes to everything you said.

Hope what I said was a good read. :)
It certainly was. Pick an industry and it's all the same: the large conglomerates are running the show, making money hand over fist for the execs and shareholders at the expense of consumers.

I don't know if is do much differently if I was born into those seats of power. High end access is certainly addictive.

Yup. Unfortunately unequivocally and unadulterated ****ed we are.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It certainly was. Pick an industry and it's all the same: the large conglomerates are running the show, making money hand over fist for the execs and shareholders at the expense of consumers.

I don't know if is do much differently if I was born into those seats of power. High end access is certainly addictive.

Yup. Unfortunately unequivocally and unadulterated ****ed we are.

It's human nature unfortunately not so much about the money side. It's the 'until it affects me I don't care' attitude. There is a small shift here in Europe but I find the USA it's a prevalent attitude.

Yes the brainwashing of the masses has helped these conglomerates to grow and become a power all their own so they're basically untouchable but that's where as individuals we need to realise what power we have, regardless how small it may seem.

I think anyone growing up rich would have a different take on the world, especially these days, than what us more common people would. I have little doubt some do have a struggle with their thoughts but who's to know?

I grew up basically poor, in a working class neighborhood around factories who more or less polluted the air and water. No idea what it's done to my health, so far I'm OK. Now I guess I'm middle class, whatever that means.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's human nature unfortunately not so much about the money side. It's the 'until it affects me I don't care' attitude. There is a small shift here in Europe but I find the USA it's a prevalent attitude.

Yes the brainwashing of the masses has helped these conglomerates to grow and become a power all their own so they're basically untouchable but that's where as individuals we need to realise what power we have, regardless how small it may seem.

I think anyone growing up rich would have a different take on the world, especially these days, than what us more common people would. I have little doubt some do have a struggle with their thoughts but who's to know?

I grew up basically poor, in a working class neighborhood around factories who more or less polluted the air and water. No idea what it's done to my health, so far I'm OK. Now I guess I'm middle class, whatever that means.
We have always had the power to make changes, but those in power fear this and do everything to make themselves seem powerful all the time and cut us off all the time from accessing our own power.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Mt Etna - We chose this agriturismo place due to its proximity to the south side of Mt Etna which has the cable car and jeeps up the mountain. We went up to 2900m, but you can get up to 3300m if you like hiking and are willing to pay for the guide (about three hour hike to the top and back from 2900m). You can also hike up the mountain from the car park if you’re keen.

View attachment 141179

View attachment 141180

View attachment 141181
That's cool you got to see a volcano.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Tip 3 – Parking in Sicily, even at tourists’ spots, can be very problematic and stressful. Get the smallest car you can. If you can drive a manual car (stick shift) even better. Mt Etna parking was painful but not compared to Taormina. Keep in mind in the winter season people ski down Mt Etna.

Taormina – this is one of those tourists’ towns that’s popular because it’s pretty. If you can get here by public transport, then I’d recommend going however I’d avoid driving in if possible unless you happen to be there in a very low season (not sure that really exists). We went to a nice restaurant for my wife’s birthday and the view was worth it, but the drive sure wasn’t.

View attachment 141183

View attachment 141182

View attachment 141184
That's gorgeous, especially at night.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

These are the remnants of the Greek temples that dotted the landscape of Sicily at one point. Here you will find the best preserved Greek temple. It’s a great place but there are some typical, what I will call, Sicilian issues. A bit disorganized at the ticket office. The plaques at the temples were worn, lack of good maps in the grounds. A few other things. Again, another place to avoid in boiling heat as there’s not much shade. However well worth it if you like this type of thing. It’s difficult to take pictures of the temples outside the place unless you have a very good camera and a zoom lens and know where to stop.

View attachment 141197

View attachment 141198

View attachment 141199
Those are great pictures.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Night and day
1836c7030e38f6f0036adf77e4bf5e49.jpg

803cd87f0bdc9bd7e4aa1227f07f7724.jpg
Those are lovely shots. Where is that?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to be a volunteer at the Cleveland City Kennel as a dog walker. I've always loved dogs but can't have one in my apartment. I attended orientation already and met a few dogs who were absolutely adorable.

I have training later this week, then I'll take dogs for walks to get exercise for them and for me. The kennel has other volunteer opportunities and other programmes for the dogs, including canine enrichment and group play for the dogs. I'm looking forward to starting walking dogs.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to be a volunteer at the Cleveland City Kennel as a dog walker. I've always loved dogs but can't have one in my apartment. I attended orientation already and met a few dogs who were absolutely adorable.

I have training later this week, then I'll take dogs for walks to get exercise for them and for me. The kennel has other volunteer opportunities and other programmes for the dogs, including canine enrichment and group play for the dogs. I'm looking forward to starting walking dogs.
Good stuff, Laura. Let us know how your experience goes.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We have always had the power to make changes, but those in power fear this and do everything to make themselves seem powerful all the time and cut us off all the time from accessing our own power.
Don't forget the distractions. They've learnt those tricks well and we all fall for it.

TV (including streaming services) and social media are perfect for this. Social media is even better because it isolates.

It's a perfect situation for the powerful but let's hope that it can be changed. For our future. The Earth will be here regardless humans on the other hand...

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Mt Etna - We chose this agriturismo place due to its proximity to the south side of Mt Etna which has the cable car and jeeps up the mountain. We went up to 2900m, but you can get up to 3300m if you like hiking and are willing to pay for the guide (about three hour hike to the top and back from 2900m). You can also hike up the mountain from the car park if you’re keen.

View attachment 141179

View attachment 141180

View attachment 141181
Did not know one could take a gondola up a volcano!! Cool

I've been to two. One was in Bali, which was active, but we stood very far away in a restaurant lookout point in a touristy spot.
The other is the circular island of Buhay Dulang, a broken caldera of an ancient volcano. Surrounded by turquoise waters .. quite a sight

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb