WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm still key2 browsing. So I cannot find the regular key2 at a reasonable price, so it seems more likely it'll be the le model. My favorite Hong Kong spot has it for $340 for the black and $380 for the gold one (new). If it were up to me, I'd want the silver dual Sim 128GB key2. That way I could drop two numbers in there and really work. But those are so rare now that I'm not trying to pay out of my nose to get one.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this latest information. That is very helpful to me, since I'm still interested in the V50, which will probably be my next phone. I'm waiting for the prices to drop, though. It's still too expensive now.
I agree. Verizon phones coming GSM unlocked play a bit better on t mobile now than they did in years past. I was tempted to get a Verizon V50 to try it but people are still asking for silly money for it.

Maybe Black Friday will help.

It's a nice phone, I just wanted LG to go up a gear with both the audio and camera features.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Incidentally, the Hong Kong site I use made a radical shift once the first US ban on Huawei hit. They stopped selling all Huawei phones and haven't restocked ANY since. I don't blame them on the one hand, it's just unfortunate as their prices for Huawei stuffs were pretty good.

I'm still glad I kept my Mate 20 Pro. No regrets in buying it when I did. It's been a nice addition and if I lived in the suburbs and drove to work and such, I'd be more inclined to use it as a daily driver.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind the additional real estate for the V40. It's a nice perk, but I still prefer something in the 6" range. I don't mind the 21:9 in the new Xperia 5, but I'm not trying to spend all that money for that device.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just for the record. Using American terminology.

I have played and know the rules (for the most part) of the following sports:

Ice hockey, street hockey, soccer, baseball, football, tennis, table tennis, badminton, volleyball, basketball, handball (team), handball (using wall), netball and golf.

Others track sports, 8 ball, 9 ball, billards using cards, snooker, several card games, darts and bowling.

I can iceskate, rollerskate, rollerblade and ride a bike. I've even tried crosscountry skiing.

I may have missed a few things.

My objection to sports is not the skills or the athletes or even the owners of the club's or that they get paid well. Well maybe they get paid too much...

My objection is the lies about the positive aspects of it for the community. Sports returns very little considering it's popularity and finances.

I also object to the fact that in schools sports is often put first to the detriment of everything else.

That's my objection.
While your gripes have merit, some would disagree. Without sports, this school would not exist:

https://ipromiseschool.akronschools.com/

This school was started by LeBron James. Last time I checked, it wasn't taking any government money - privately funded through his foundation with the focus on a wider enrichment experience for both students and their families. Plus, he's got some scholarships set up to fund college tuition for kids too. Full ride.

There's a ton of philanthropic work being done by many athletes at the highest levels of their sport. Most of the super star NBA players have some foundation that's working in the community providing varies types of programming and enrichment. Many of the top NFL players do the same. Much of this work goes unpublished, partly because some of the athletes want it that way so the focus remains on the work, not the sponsor.

None of those initiatives would be possible without access to sports.

There's also a longstanding tradition of high end athletes using their platform to advance social causes from as far back Jim Brown (and even before him - Jesse Owen's, circa 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany). There's a reason why there has been a tiff the last few years with athletes like LeBron speaking out against DJT and teams an players boycotting going the White House.

I have my own gripes with certain mechanisms within sports culture. But sports still has a relevant place in society and in community development.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
As for milk. My wife is allergic to milk so we've tried everything. I also have an issue with soy.

So we drink oat milk as it's the most bland and close to milk in flavour.

Hemp I can't drink.. I don't mind rice but too watery. Almond if done right is good but only in certain foods or drinks. Same for coconut.

I haven't tried pea milk.

Thanks for this again! Good to know that y'all do oat milk too. So far, it's a go for me as well.

I can get how rice would be really watery.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Verizon phones coming GSM unlocked play a bit better on t mobile now than they did in years past. I was tempted to get a Verizon V50 to try it but people are still asking for silly money for it.

Maybe Black Friday will help.

It's a nice phone, I just wanted LG to go up a gear with both the audio and camera features.
I'm using Verizon now, but the used phones are still almost as expensive as if I were to buy a new one from Verizon.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
While your gripes have merit, some would disagree. Without sports, this school would not exist:

https://ipromiseschool.akronschools.com/

This school was started by LeBron James. Last time I checked, it wasn't taking any government money - privately funded through his foundation with the focus on a wider enrichment experience for both students and their families. Plus, he's got some scholarships set up to fund college tuition for kids too. Full ride.

There's a ton of philanthropic work being done by many athletes at the highest levels of their sport. Most of the super star NBA players have some foundation that's working in the community providing varies types of programming and enrichment. Many of the top NFL players do the same. Much of this work goes unpublished, partly because some of the athletes want it that way so the focus remains on the work, not the sponsor.

None of those initiatives would be possible without access to sports.

There's also a longstanding tradition of high end athletes using their platform to advance social causes from as far back Jim Brown (and even before him - Jesse Owen's, circa 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany). There's a reason why there has been a tiff the last few years with athletes like LeBron speaking out against DJT and teams an players boycotting going the White House.

I have my own gripes with certain mechanisms within sports culture. But sports still has a relevant place in society and in community development.
My main issues with sports culture at the high school level has more to do with the extreme pressure to perform at high levels, especially at schools that are known for their elite sports programs. When kids feel the need to take performance enhancing drugs or kids are prescribed opioids to get through injuries, that's not a good thing physically or mentally.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My main issues with sports culture at the high school level has more to do with the extreme pressure to perform at high levels, especially at schools that are known for their elite sports programs. When kids feel the need to take performance enhancing drugs or kids are prescribed opioids to get through injuries, that's not a good thing physically or mentally.
My gripes are similar to this and how collegiate sports are structured.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My gripes are similar to this and how collegiate sports are structured.
Another issue with college sports has more to do with the culture of the towns where the colleges are located, not just the universities themselves and the students/staff. I watched a documentary called Happy Valley. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2171902/

The entire town was so obsessed with Paterno/Penn State and cared more about statues and number of wins than about the victims of an horrific crime.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Another issue with college sports has more to do with the culture of the towns where the colleges are located, not just the universities themselves and the students/staff. I watched a documentary called Happy Valley. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2171902/

The entire town was so obsessed with Paterno/Penn State and cared more about statues and number of wins than about the victims of an horrific crime.
Stuff like this isn't surprising when the university is the only game in town (pun intended).

It's tough whenever a town has a sole primary employer from any industry. People may be a bit more likely to overlook certain things.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
As for milk. My wife is allergic to milk so we've tried everything. I also have an issue with soy.

So we drink oat milk as it's the most bland and close to milk in flavour.

Hemp I can't drink.. I don't mind rice but too watery. Almond if done right is good but only in certain foods or drinks. Same for coconut.

I haven't tried pea milk.
This is the brand we use. It's the unsweetened vanilla or unsweetened original for most milk stuffs and the original flavor for the half and half. She wasn't a fan of the chocolate (too sweet).

https://www.ripplefoods.com/

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Agreed.

I like Verizon coverage but don't like their prices. I suppose even at this point I don't need 5G speed, as nice as it would be to use.

I use prepaid with them and it works for me. Prices are better without the line access fee. Not amazing though, as I went down in data to have the same price.

Last edited:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Just for the record. Using American terminology.

I have played and know the rules (for the most part) of the following sports:

Ice hockey, street hockey, soccer, baseball, football, tennis, table tennis, badminton, volleyball, basketball, handball (team), handball (using wall), netball and golf.

Others track sports, 8 ball, 9 ball, billards using cards, snooker, several card games, darts and bowling.

I can iceskate, rollerskate, rollerblade and ride a bike. I've even tried crosscountry skiing.

I may have missed a few things.

My objection to sports is not the skills or the athletes or even the owners of the club's or that they get paid well. Well maybe they get paid too much...

My objection is the lies about the positive aspects of it for the community. Sports returns very little considering it's popularity and finances.

I also object to the fact that in schools sports is often put first to the detriment of everything else.

That's my objection.
Afraid of water??
Don't see any aquatic activity in your very long and excellent list!!
I was a soccer kid before moving on to badminton and squash.
One game I did play a bit was a region game 'sepak takraw' a court game with a ratan ball...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This is the brand we use. It's the unsweetened vanilla or unsweetened original for most milk stuffs and the original flavor for the half and half. She wasn't a fan of the chocolate (too sweet).

https://www.ripplefoods.com/
The main reason I haven't tried pea milk is because I haven't seen it here. I didn't see it the UK either. I've only heard of it via sources in the USA.

I'm quite happy with oat. It does what we need and is easily accessible.

There's two oat products we used to buy in the UK that we can't get here but we're hoping they show up eventually. One is a thick cream the other is a creme fraiche.

I would've thought the company that makes them would've been trying to expand their European business by now due to Brexit. They're a Swedish brand called Oatly.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Afraid of water??
Don't see any aquatic activity in your very long and excellent list!!
I was a soccer kid before moving on to badminton and squash.
One game I did play a bit was a region game 'sepak takraw' a court game with a ratan ball...
I can swim but I never did any sports related to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea