WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
What do those fruits taste like?
The size of a fruit can be as big a ping-pong or golf ball.
Gotta peel away the skin to get to the sweet, white and juicy flesh, slightly sourish with unique but mild taste (some say it taste like grape/grapefruit combo!!)
13e1542276b6f318c3164f238deb0758.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Gotta peel away the skin to get to the sweet, white and juicy flesh, slightly sourish with unique but mild taste (some say it taste like grape/grapefruit combo!!)
Ooh, that's sounds delicious! I love both grapes and grapefruits.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
We used to eat this a lot growing up. It's quite delicious.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow...Pocket Casts is now free. On one hand, I'm glad. On the the other hand, I'm like dang, I paid for the browser version just a few months ago. I enjoy the app though and after reading the post why, I understand why they did this. It's an great cross platform (including web!) app.

Edit: Since I paid for the browser version, I get Pocket Casts Plus free for 3 years. That's awesome!

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow...Pocket Casts is now free. On one hand, I'm glad. On the the other hand, I'm like dang, I paid for the browser version just a few months ago. I enjoy the app though and after reading the post why, I understand why they did this. It's an great cross platform (including web!) app.

Edit: Since I paid for the browser version, I get Pocket Casts Plus free for 3 years. That's awesome!
That's great to hear you are getting Pocketcasts Plus free for 3 years. I've never used the web version (and never even it existed), but I use the Android app, which I also purchased.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Been buying a bunch of extras for the hike on Saturday.
Microspikes - there is about 100 ft of ice on the trail.

Red LED headlamp - going to start the hike at 2AM
I have done a short glacier hike with crompons once (Franz Josef, NZ) but haven't tried any mountain hikes with snow or ice before.... and yup, 2am hike sounds wonderful !!!! . I'm excited for you...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have done a short glacier hike with crompons once (Franz Josef, NZ) but haven't tried any mountain hikes with snow or ice before.... and yup, 2am hike sounds wonderful !!!! . I'm excited for you...
I've hiked in snow plenty of times in the last 20+ years. Fresh snow doesn't need crampons. Baden Powell hike in May earlier this year was one of the longest in snow and ice that I have done - about 2 miles and 1600 ft elevation gain in approximately 2 feet of snow. Absolutely needed microspikes. My old crampons were worthless.

This hike only has a small stretch right near the summit. Better to be prepared since this is definitely a bucket list hike.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Been buying a bunch of extras for the hike on Saturday.
Microspikes - there is about 100 ft of ice on the trail.
Water filtration - don't want to carry too much water
Energy gel, energy chews, hydration tabs - again reduce weight
Definitely a new backpack since extra weight for layered clothing
Red LED headlamp - going to start the hike at 2AM
Liner socks - no blisters please
Extra moleskin - my ankles are still blistered from San Jacinto

A few extra things might pop up by Thursday night.
Everything on the list has been purchased except the water filter. About 4 people in the group have one. I might just bring an extra liter of water and be done with it even though it means extra weight.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It's called Ice palm fruit in English. Also used to make toddy in rural India.
Now that would be interesting and worth trying!!
There are several varieties... The common langsat, the duku (sweeter with thicker orangier skin) and my fave the longkong (or dukong, thin skin and sweetest of the lot)
My previous-company had a estate with planted with dukong. We had to harvest 23 tons of fruit, and transport it daily to the markets some 160km away. The fruits has delicate skin, doesn't like multiple handling nor change in temperatures or windy conditions. The skin would bruise and turn dark. I'll be very surprise if it makes it to the foreign markets

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Now that would be interesting and worth trying!!
There are several varieties... The common langsat, the duku (sweeter with thicker orangier skin) and my fave the longkong (or dukong, thin skin and sweetest of the lot)
My previous-company had a estate with planted with dukong. We had to harvest 23 tons of fruit, and transport it daily to the markets some 160km away. The fruits has delicate skin, doesn't like multiple handling nor change in temperatures or windy conditions. The skin would bruise and turn dark. I'll be very surprise if it makes it to the foreign markets
That's what I remember about these fruit as well. The thin skin ones tasted so much better.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So I'm just going to complain (a bit of a vent). Anyone wanting to bypass this please feel free.

I am currently working again. In engineering. I'm actually working in a department that I am not usually in but that's ok my skills are transferable.

Currently on my team I have a guy from the UK, I may have mentioned him before but in case you forgot he's pro Brexit and from the North East of England, not far from where I once lived up there.

I have nothing against older people (considering my age...). However this guy annoys me to no end. Aside from being a rather abrasive person in general he is also a 'know it all' kind of person.

Apparently his years of 'knowledge' will be missed when he leaves at the end of this month. (yes I'm cheering, I'm considering bringing in a cake) but his personality won't be. Also, one person shouldn't be that irreplaceable otherwise you're doing it wrong. Succession learning is a big problem in engineering in general. But that's a whole other issue.

People who I've met in the past like him typically act like he does when they act more knowledgeable then they actually are. Being argumentative, authoritative and 'know it all' are traits I've found in those who typically are not very good at what they do and unfortunately he hasn't shown much otherwise to me.

He's said a couple of things recently (with one interrupting me talking to my supervisor about something) that he had to pass on his knowledge about something. Which is completely wrong I should point out. It had to do with electrical installation (I have over 25 years experience of this) but to avoid an argument I just nodded and rolled my eyes when out of view. I also verified that what he said was wrong by finding the document that he referred to that stated quite clearly had nothing to do with what I was talking about. So I find his so called knowledge somewhat troubling. It could be his old age but I don't know for certain.

The other was just recently. Just something I overheard. He was talking to one of our new hires, she's a recent grad. They were discussing computers. He told her that Windows is still based around DOS (which he called Document Operational System... yeah... rolls eyes) and still relied heavily on the keyboard because of that... and that Apple was based around the mouse so you weren't supposed to use the keyboard...

Now I'm not an Apple user but I'm pretty sure a keyboard is useful for Apple computers too. Either now or in the past. Yes, Windows can be more keyboard oriented but you can use a mouse more than not these days.

Again, I could correct this guy but cannot be bothered. Let him believe that DOS stands for Document Operational System.... Apparently Apple DOS didn't exist in his world.

Anyway, one more week of this guy and hopefully I'll never see him again. If you're wondering why he's leaving, they cancelled his contract because they don't need so many people... he's a contractor anyway and I think a lot came from the fact he's not a French resident (so possible Brexit issue) and maybe some complaints from coworkers.

Looking forward to quieter times.

So end rant...

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I'm just going to complain (a bit of a vent). Anyone wanting to bypass this please feel free.

I am currently working again. In engineering. I'm actually working in a department that I am not usually in but that's ok my skills are transferable.

Currently on my team I have a guy from the UK, I may have mentioned him before but in case you forgot he's pro Brexit and from the North East of England, not far from where I once lived up there.

I have nothing against older people (considering my age...). However this guy annoys me to no end. Aside from being a rather abrasive person in general he is also a 'know it all' kind of person.

Apparently his years of 'knowledge' will be missed when he leaves at the end of this month. (yes I'm cheering, I'm considering bringing in a cake) but his personality won't be. Also, one person shouldn't be that irreplaceable otherwise you're doing it wrong. Succession learning is a big problem in engineering in general. But that's a whole other issue.

People who I've met in the past like him typically act like he does when they act more knowledgeable then they actually are. Being argumentative, authoritative and 'know it all' are traits I've found in those who typically are not very good at what they do and unfortunately he hasn't done much otherwise to me.

He's said a couple of things recently (with one interrupting me talking to my supervisor about something) that he had to pass on his knowledge about something. Which is completely wrong I should point out. It had to do with electrical installation (I have over 25 years experience of this) but to avoid an argument I just nodded and rolled my eyes when out of view. I also verified that what he said was wrong by finding the document that he referred to that stated quite clearly had nothing to do with what I was talking about. So I find his so called knowledge somewhat troubling. It could be his old age but I don't know for certain.

The other was just recently. Just something I overheard. He was talking to one of our new hires, she's a recent grad. They were discussing computers. He told her that Windows is still based around DOS (which he called Document Operational System... yeah... rolls eyes) and still relied heavily on the keyboard because of that... and that Apple was based around the mouse so you weren't supposed to use the keyboard...

Now I'm not an Apple user but I'm pretty sure a keyboard is useful for Apple computers too. Either now or in the past. Yes, Windows can be more keyboard oriented but you can use a mouse more than not these days.

Again, I could correct this guy but cannot be bothered. Let him believe that DOS stands for Document Operational System.... Apparently Apple DOS didn't exist in his world.

Anyway, one more week of this guy and hopefully I'll never see him again. If you're wondering why he's leaving, they cancelled his contract because they don't need so many people... he's a contractor anyway and I think a lot came from the fact he's not a French resident (so possible Brexit issue) and maybe some complaints from coworkers.

Looking forward to quieter times.

So end rant...

I have to agree with you, it sounds like it's good that he's going. He sounds exhausting. May the time zoom by!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos