WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with you, it sounds like it's good that he's going. He sounds exhausting. May the time zoom by!

Thankfully I don't have much interaction with him it's just that he sits near me and I get to hear him regularly. He's not a quiet person.

He's been very 'frustrated and vocal' in the last couple of months. I think he's past that age where he can't really handle a large(ish) project. He has little personable qualities so people dealing with him have been very frustrated as well.

Time is a bit dragging at the moment!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thankfully I don't have much interaction with him it's just that he sits near me and I get to hear him regularly. He's not a quiet person.

He's been very 'frustrated and vocal' in the last couple of months. I think he's past that age where he can't really handle a large(ish) project. He has little personable qualities so people dealing with him have been very frustrated as well.

Sounds like he can't handle large(ish) or small(ish) projects. It also sounds like he's skated by on general knowledge rather than discipline-related knowledge. If he wasn't British I'd swear you're working with my former guesstimator er, estimator.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Wow, what a combo he is. That's good that you don't have to interact with him much.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It seems like there are changes ahead here at work. I learned that another colleague is leaving this year. We are a small staff so this should be interesting. I'm not sure what to expect of 2020 here, considering that we had some colleagues leave this year. One has not been replaced yet and the other has been temporarily replaced, since it takes longer to fill that position.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

You should definitely bring a cake to his Exit from your company.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like he can't handle large(ish) or small(ish) projects. It also sounds like he's skated by on general knowledge rather than discipline-related knowledge. If he wasn't British I'd swear you're working with my former guesstimator er, estimator.
The last time I ran into someone like this was in Australia. Electrical engineer. We had to correct all his mistakes. Drawings, specs, reports, etc. The time before was also in Australia but different project and guy. Though I didn't stick around for that one. He didn't like me questioning things.

Not sure this guy is that bad as he's been at this place for some time and apparently knows what he's doing otherwise they would have got rid of him. (Though this company is weird.)

I think he just sticks to what he knows and believes he's right even if he isn't. Even when it's not his speciality. Which is always a dangerous thing in my view.

Not a good attitude for an engineer.

I think his scope of reality has shrunk too much from all the right wing news he reads. He reads the Daily Mail. Murdock news site.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So I'm just going to complain (a bit of a vent). Anyone wanting to bypass this please feel free.

I am currently working again. In engineering. I'm actually working in a department that I am not usually in but that's ok my skills are transferable.

Currently on my team I have a guy from the UK, I may have mentioned him before but in case you forgot he's pro Brexit and from the North East of England, not far from where I once lived up there.

I have nothing against older people (considering my age...). However this guy annoys me to no end. Aside from being a rather abrasive person in general he is also a 'know it all' kind of person.

Apparently his years of 'knowledge' will be missed when he leaves at the end of this month. (yes I'm cheering, I'm considering bringing in a cake) but his personality won't be. Also, one person shouldn't be that irreplaceable otherwise you're doing it wrong. Succession learning is a big problem in engineering in general. But that's a whole other issue.

People who I've met in the past like him typically act like he does when they act more knowledgeable then they actually are. Being argumentative, authoritative and 'know it all' are traits I've found in those who typically are not very good at what they do and unfortunately he hasn't shown much otherwise to me.

He's said a couple of things recently (with one interrupting me talking to my supervisor about something) that he had to pass on his knowledge about something. Which is completely wrong I should point out. It had to do with electrical installation (I have over 25 years experience of this) but to avoid an argument I just nodded and rolled my eyes when out of view. I also verified that what he said was wrong by finding the document that he referred to that stated quite clearly had nothing to do with what I was talking about. So I find his so called knowledge somewhat troubling. It could be his old age but I don't know for certain.

The other was just recently. Just something I overheard. He was talking to one of our new hires, she's a recent grad. They were discussing computers. He told her that Windows is still based around DOS (which he called Document Operational System... yeah... rolls eyes) and still relied heavily on the keyboard because of that... and that Apple was based around the mouse so you weren't supposed to use the keyboard...

Now I'm not an Apple user but I'm pretty sure a keyboard is useful for Apple computers too. Either now or in the past. Yes, Windows can be more keyboard oriented but you can use a mouse more than not these days.

Again, I could correct this guy but cannot be bothered. Let him believe that DOS stands for Document Operational System.... Apparently Apple DOS didn't exist in his world.

Anyway, one more week of this guy and hopefully I'll never see him again. If you're wondering why he's leaving, they cancelled his contract because they don't need so many people... he's a contractor anyway and I think a lot came from the fact he's not a French resident (so possible Brexit issue) and maybe some complaints from coworkers.

Looking forward to quieter times.

So end rant...
Wow! I'm glad you'll be rid of that fellow soon. He certainly isn't the type to charm any workplace, to put it mildly.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So just a little thought.

I haven't followed Canadian politics since I left Canada. I'm no longer registered as a resident and I don't vote.

I typically only hear some things from my family and what's on the news.

When I heard about the election happening in Canada I was curious to know what's happening there. So I looked into things and with the release of the picture yesterday things aren't looking good for Trudeau.

He's of course not squeaking clean. No politician is, especially one that came from being a 'regular person'. He's made some unpopular decisions and his political opponents are out to capitalize on anything they can get on him. The opposition wants a majority of course.

So the last polling I saw showed that there was a possibility of a marginal win for Trudeau but now I'm not so certain.

Unfortunately, Canadians aren't as smart as people like to think and are just as susceptible to populist nonsense as anywhere else. Canada has very conservative areas in it similar to the South area of the USA. They live off the same kind right wing nonsense as well. Populism has increased in Canada just like everywhere else. Ontario has a populist Premier (similar to a Governor of a state) already and is causing havoc there.

So if Trudeau doesn't win Canada will have an *ss kissing Dump supporter as PM. The Conservatives in Canada have ALWAYS been submissive to the USA and kiss their butts big time, especially when its a Republican president.

Not looking good for the world really. Especially North America.

Ah well.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

I haven't followed Canadian politics since I left Canada. I'm no longer registered as a resident and I don't vote.

When I heard about the election happening in Canada I was curious to know what's happening there. So I looked into things and with the release of the picture yesterday things aren't looking good for Trudeau.

He's of course not squeaking clean. No politician is, especially one that came from being a 'regular person'. He's made some unpopular decisions and his political opponents are out to capitalize on anything they can get on him. The opposition wants a majority of course.

So the last polling I saw showed that there was a possibility of a marginal win for Trudeau but now I'm not so certain.

Unfortunately, Canadians aren't as smart as people like to think and are just as susceptible to populist nonsense as anywhere else. Canada has very conservative areas in it similar to the South area of the USA. They live off the same kind right wing nonsense as well. Populism has increased in Canada just like everywhere else. Ontario has a populist Premier (similar to a Governor of a state) already and is causing havoc there.

So if Trudeau doesn't win Canada will have an *ss kissing Dump supporter as PM. The Conservatives in Canada have ALWAYS been submissive to the USA and kiss their butts big time, especially when its a Republican president.

Ah well.

Well slap me in the face and call me Billy Bob.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ah well.

Uh oh, this is scary.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think I'm itching for a change. I'm good on the tech front.

It's real with the housing thing but now I'm going down the rabbit hole of vehicles. I like my car and I chose to buy one that was 12 years old at the time I purchased it (at the time, the newer models were like $3-4k more expensive, which I didn't have). New cars are a no for me, but with these phones losing headphone jacks, I'll like Bluetooth. That is the only change I would make, aside from the few quirks I deal with occasionally.

I have a transmitter which works decently enough for my needs for this at the moment.

Edit: My car doesn't even have an aux port. I thought I would settle for that but at this point, it has to actually make sense to do that.

Edit2: The car thing is just an outlet. It doesn't make sense for me at this time. My car has been solid to me. I am still itching for a general change.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro