WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I opted for the S10+, rather than the Note 10 or Note 10+, since I didn't want #donglelife or S Pen.

The V50 looks nice, but it was the same price as the S10+, and Samsung is better than LG in terms of updates these days.

What do you like about Niagara Launcher? That's one I haven't heard of. I had always used Nova Launcher Prime, but I'm actually looking One UI on Samsung, much to my surprise.
I've added some screenshots for you to see. For me it is cleaner and lighter looking visually. I still use Nova on my tablet and I like it but since I've gone minimal, this is a better fit. Screenshot_20191019-065315.jpegScreenshot_20191019-065329.jpegScreenshot_20191019-065350.jpegScreenshot_20191019-065424.jpeg

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Some more as I am waiting to board my ultra delayed flight back home in Denver.
fd84d182045c9014ac27588966214bb0.jpg
56f604d02c472a2a049d3499f7fff92c.jpg
c3756268da1baf1b99dc8052cb4b0796.jpg
Not a bad way to use time waiting for your flight!!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I've added some screenshots for you to see. For me it is cleaner and lighter looking visually. I still use Nova on my tablet and I like it but since I've gone minimal, this is a better fit. View attachment 141530View attachment 141531View attachment 141532View attachment 141533
Nice.
On my Nokia8.1, I've tried launchers that mimics WP10 but found it troublesome. I install Niagara, and really like it's simplicity, more so if I have those pesky notification turned off.
I'm on Msft launcher the past month... No compliants.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Went into the msft store to browse and almost walked out with a hp envy 13" book on sale for $600. I was very, very impressed.
As for the Envy 13T, do I think it's worth the $350 to go to an i7 16GB +512GB SSD combo while still maintaining the 1080P touch screen, vs getting the i5 8GB +256GB RAM on sale for $600? I don't know. What I do know is I keep my laptops a long period of time. Over the last 20 years, I've owned a Dell Inspiron, Asus 10" netbook and the T100. I think I still have all 3.

I don't want to be hamstrung without enough power I cannot upgrade. I'll have to look and see if the SSD is removable first. I personally would buy a spare battery and SSD to put away. Even though I don't plan to push it a ton, 8GB of RAM seems restrictive.

I'll likely wait another two months to decide.

I love the Surface keyboards. They were such a joy to test out as they had nice travel to them. I liked the screens too. Really loved the Surface Book and can see why it makes sense. The HP wasn't as comfortable but felt firm enough to stand the abuse. That made me

If it were up to me, I'd want:

1) 16GB RAM + 512GB SSD
2) Port combo that includes USB-A and USB-C that supports USB-C charging (don't need Thunderbolt 3)
3) Touch screen (1080P is fine)
4) Good battery life
2) 3:2 screen, as I feel visually I'd be more comfortable working in split screen mode - I plan to use that a ton
5) Good keyboard
6) Good weight balance
7) Good heat dissipation
8) SD card slot

Audio doesn't matter as much, Windows Hello is nice, gaming performance I don't care about. I wouldn't mind thinner bezels for more screen in a smaller footprint. The Webcam I don't care vout as much as long as the quality is decent.

I want something that's portable where I can run a small business on and all other side projects for a while. I can do some stuff with the T100 which has aged OK, but I need more horsepower.

The short list so far:

1) HP Envy 13T
2) Mate book 13
3) Surface 2 laptop
4) Asus Zenbook 14

Lots of research left to do.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Here are some more random shots for the next three posts using all three lenses. The telephoto can only be used in auto mode. Everything else is in manual mode. 20191019_131532.jpeg20191019_131510.jpeg20191019_131515.jpeg20191019_122948.jpeg20191019_122936.jpeg20191019_122930.jpeg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The more I look at the HP, the more I like it. I'm glad I had self restraint and didn't leave with that one today from the store. I need more time to complete my research.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The more I look at the HP, the more I like it. I'm glad I had self restraint and didn't leave with that one today from the store. I need more time to complete my research.
Wondering if I'm better off getting a Note 10 to pair with the laptop vs a Key2/Key2 LE...The Blackberrys are getting harder to find, especially at the price I want.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if I'm better off getting a Note 10 to pair with the laptop vs a Key2/Key2 LE...The Blackberrys are getting harder to find, especially at the price I want.
I'd suggest playing with them to see how you like them.

My guess is that TCL will never release a new BlackBerry device, and they're just trying to clear out old inventory without announcing anything, so they don't lose even more money in a fire sale.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Lotsa great shots @MSFTisMIA.
At times I wish I had wider angle lens on my Nokia8.1. for those building/Street shots. I usually resort to panaroma mode but there would be an obvious trade off in quality

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I feel like you might miss the keyboard input by not having a Key2. Also would you regret getting a Note 10? I haven't watched any reviews of the Note 10 but I don't know if the battery life will equal.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
As for the Envy 13T, do I think it's worth the $350 to go to an i7 16GB +512GB SSD combo while still maintaining the 1080P touch screen, vs getting the i5 8GB +256GB RAM on sale for $600? I don't know. What I do know is I keep my laptops a long period of time. Over the last 20 years, I've owned a Dell Inspiron, Asus 10" netbook and the T100. I think I still have all 3.

I don't want to be hamstrung without enough power I cannot upgrade. I'll have to look and see if the SSD is removable first. I personally would buy a spare battery and SSD to put away. Even though I don't plan to push it a ton, 8GB of RAM seems restrictive.

I'll likely wait another two months to decide.

I love the Surface keyboards. They were such a joy to test out as they had nice travel to them. I liked the screens too. Really loved the Surface Book and can see why it makes sense. The HP wasn't as comfortable but felt firm enough to stand the abuse. That made me

If it were up to me, I'd want:

1) 16GB RAM + 512GB SSD
2) Port combo that includes USB-A and USB-C that supports USB-C charging (don't need Thunderbolt 3)
3) Touch screen (1080P is fine)
4) Good battery life
2) 3:2 screen, as I feel visually I'd be more comfortable working in split screen mode - I plan to use that a ton
5) Good keyboard
6) Good weight balance
7) Good heat dissipation
8) SD card slot

Audio doesn't matter as much, Windows Hello is nice, gaming performance I don't care about. I wouldn't mind thinner bezels for more screen in a smaller footprint. The Webcam I don't care vout as much as long as the quality is decent.

I want something that's portable where I can run a small business on and all other side projects for a while. I can do some stuff with the T100 which has aged OK, but I need more horsepower.

The short list so far:

1) HP Envy 13T
2) Mate book 13
3) Surface 2 laptop
4) Asus Zenbook 14

Lots of research left to do.

Your list is also useful to me as well so thank you for sharing. My laptop is okay, but I might consider getting a new one since I keep getting a particular error. I need power to run R (which I still haven't touched since Spring semester).
I'm kinda loyal to HP but I wouldn't mind something lighter... with an optical drive lol (this is a nice to have).

Please keep us posted.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I've had the V40 for a while. I'm happy to report, it's been a nice fit. Like the V35 and to some degree, the G7 before it, it's done the job. I have used Niagara as my launcher of choice and it's been nice and clean for the V series and Nova I used in the G7 and liked. Since I have gone back to work at the hospital, my personal cell phone usage has dramatically changed - it's decreased. I'm on my personal phone less.

The bulk of my phone usage in the day is on the iPhone 6S provided by work and that is spent using 5 apps: text, dialer, email, notes and calendar. That's it. 100% productivity based for my work flow. Anything search related or maps related I use my personal phone due to the screen rela estate and iOS annoyances.

So I use wireless headphones now for the commute (music listening is passable enough but call quality is trash). I want to get my Sennheiser HD599 for more personal at home use. So I use the DAC less, but I use it at home. This is why I could transition to something like a Note 10/Pixel 4XL as a daily driver. I enjoy using the manual camera on the V40, but could see why I liked the Pixel 2 on times when I wanted to snap and go.

My habits have changed and thus certain devices fit better. I like hardware wise where LG is. I think it's the same old issue - software, marketing (lack of clear message). Would I go from a V40 to a G8? I don't know. Would I go from a V40 to a V50? If there as a non Verizon model, yes. The V40 is still good, but I'm curious about LG for next year.

I'm glad to hear that the V40 is generally working out for you.
That's interesting that you went wireless really. So how do you handle phone calls? Do you just not do them while on the go or do you use a wired set with the headphone jack?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've retired from the enthusiast game.

There are a few things I will buy to collect, but the retirement is real. No more wheelin' and dealin'. There are some nice value purchase items I would love to try for this yese if the itch was like in the old days - ZTE Axon 10, maybe a Oneplus device, the Asus Zenfone 6 and ROG 2, Xperia 5 and the Mi 9T Pro.

If I were making a purchase though where I wouldn't buy a phone next year...it would be the Note 10, V50 and Pixel 4XL in that order. Yeah, I really, really like the in hand feel of the Note 10. It would be in Aurora White, so I could get an orange Pixel 4XL. That's if I had the cash to spare.

The best value for money from this year is the G8. LG's notches don't bother me and that (relative) compact nature of the phone is cool.

I don't miss it. I'm OK with reading the news and reviews and snoring through a few YouTube videos and don't have the massive itch to go but something. That carries over to the stuff I'm interested in getting such as a Razer 2, Mi Mix 3, iPhone 8 or SE2.

It's really interesting to hear you say this. I kinda guessed that you might be. I feel that and can relate on not having the itch.

I'm interested that you mentioned a SE2. That still possibly interests me but it still depends on various things.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Things are progressing slowly. I'm looking forward to it and I'm good with the pace. Fast isn't always good, at least not in my experience.

This is vague for reasons but it involves getting to know someone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss