WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As for the Envy 13T, do I think it's worth the $350 to go to an i7 16GB +512GB SSD combo while still maintaining the 1080P touch screen, vs getting the i5 8GB +256GB RAM on sale for $600? I don't know. What I do know is I keep my laptops a long period of time. Over the last 20 years, I've owned a Dell Inspiron, Asus 10" netbook and the T100. I think I still have all 3.

I don't want to be hamstrung without enough power I cannot upgrade. I'll have to look and see if the SSD is removable first. I personally would buy a spare battery and SSD to put away. Even though I don't plan to push it a ton, 8GB of RAM seems restrictive.

I'll likely wait another two months to decide.

I love the Surface keyboards. They were such a joy to test out as they had nice travel to them. I liked the screens too. Really loved the Surface Book and can see why it makes sense. The HP wasn't as comfortable but felt firm enough to stand the abuse. That made me

If it were up to me, I'd want:

1) 16GB RAM + 512GB SSD
2) Port combo that includes USB-A and USB-C that supports USB-C charging (don't need Thunderbolt 3)
3) Touch screen (1080P is fine)
4) Good battery life
2) 3:2 screen, as I feel visually I'd be more comfortable working in split screen mode - I plan to use that a ton
5) Good keyboard
6) Good weight balance
7) Good heat dissipation
8) SD card slot

Audio doesn't matter as much, Windows Hello is nice, gaming performance I don't care about. I wouldn't mind thinner bezels for more screen in a smaller footprint. The Webcam I don't care vout as much as long as the quality is decent.

I want something that's portable where I can run a small business on and all other side projects for a while. I can do some stuff with the T100 which has aged OK, but I need more horsepower.

The short list so far:

1) HP Envy 13T
2) Mate book 13
3) Surface 2 laptop
4) Asus Zenbook 14

Lots of research left to do.
I guess what you mean by removable is whether the laptop can be opened to remove it?

Most newer laptops are using the NAND PCI type SSD.

One thing I read about the newer Surface devices is that they say the SSD is removable by trained technicians.

Not sure about other laptops though these days. They make them a pain to do anything to compared to the older ones.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So things went well at the farm. Leaving shortly.

We managed to talk to the builder and we hopefully got things right this time. Likely the quote will go up but I just hope he puts everything in it. He was giving us a few things for 'free' and though that sounds nice if it's not in writing it means nothing.

The other good thing was meeting up with a garden maintenance guy. So that will be very nice to have that maintained.

Lastly, the reason we came down was to get our car paperwork. Thankfully it was here and all is good.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest playing with them to see how you like them.

My guess is that TCL will never release a new BlackBerry device, and they're just trying to clear out old inventory without announcing anything, so they don't lose even more money in a fire sale.
I played with the key2LE a few months ago when it was just launched. I played with the note 10 in the MSFT store yesterday. That aurora white is nice and in person was what I thought - that's the color I'd choose.

I like the key2 because of the security. Samsung security is OK, blackberry would be better as I'd have more control. The Note is great and the cameras offset the key2's keyboard for usage with social media management. Hardware wise, either one can work for me.

I'm thinking about this long term. If I want a portable setup, I will need the ability to sign documents (the in form of consent to services packets) at some point. With a 2 in 1, like the Surface Pro, that's not an issue (sign on the screen and get an emailed copy). With a Envy 13, the Note 10 gives me that ability where I can still carry papers or have them sign on a smaller screen. If I were using a key2, I'd have them sign, scan the copies and they keep the original. The more I think about it, the more I'd want two machines - a two in one and a traditional laptop. The traditional to be the back end brains of the set up and the two in one as really the mobile workhorse.

I know tech is going to age and I will have to make changes down the road but I am thinking about the best setup for the next few years while I focus on the non tech legwork to get this off the ground. I can always add the two in one later.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So I've been quiet because I'm tired of work annoying me the wrong way. There are some skills I need to get because there is a serious dirth of quality mental health providers. As a result I'm researching on how to properly position myself to look past this current job. One area is building a small practice. Another area is larger program design and development.

I'm looking tech to accept payments. Tech to cover secure conversations. Tech for targeted social media management to promote brand growth. Tech to secure files and PHI, so I'm looking at EMRs and EHRs and costs for small businesses to offload some of the back end payment processing. The computer I get now will be 100% work, so I'll use a different account altogether on it with its own subscriptions and Google services email.

Not trying to over complicate things, just trying to be smart. Looking into things like Tele health and licensure cross states and therefore have the ability to get compensated in creative ways to meet service droughts. I was talking to one of my old attednings last week who's practicing in Florida and the dirth there is shocking.

I'm just tired of certain things now. Need to really get on with it. So I'll be in and out as I work on this transition. I like doing medical social work, I just need to find that fit for me. The current job opportunity ain't it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess what you mean by removable is whether the laptop can be opened to remove it?

Most newer laptops are using the NAND PCI type SSD.

One thing I read about the newer Surface devices is that they say the SSD is removable by trained technicians.

Not sure about other laptops though these days. They make them a pain to do anything to compared to the older ones.
I think because my current and near future situation requires a certain degree of portability, I'm not looking at the heavier traditional machines where I can swap out the stuff later. If I'm in a home or a much bigger apartment space, I'd still do a work desktop anyways.

Most likely I need something to go in my current work bag as I build out the stuff I mentioned in the last post post over the next 2-3 jobs.

You're right with most ultrabook makers making certain parts non removable. It's why even though I want to be cost conscious, if I decide on something, I want to be OK spending at a certain level to get a long term set up I want.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that the V40 is generally working out for you.
That's interesting that you went wireless really. So how do you handle phone calls? Do you just not do them while on the go or do you use a wired set with the headphone jack?
The mics on the Sabbat are hot garbage for calls in anything but a quiet environment. Have to cup my hands around the ear to cut down on the wind noise. So I'll use them if I have to, or just turn them off and use the phone. Msuic quality is very good and battery life is good too. The RHAs I have are good but their sound output is too low for both calls and music for my commute. It's the same old mess, really.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Lotsa great shots @MSFTisMIA.
At times I wish I had wider angle lens on my Nokia8.1. for those building/Street shots. I usually resort to panaroma mode but there would be an obvious trade off in quality
That's the industry debate: what's the better secondary lens - wide angle or telephoto? I prefer the wide angle, but since a ton of people prefer taking selfies, the telephoto is a better fit for them. I just don't like how on the V40 in manual mode I don't have access to all three lenses.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I feel like you might miss the keyboard input by not having a Key2. Also would you regret getting a Note 10? I haven't watched any reviews of the Note 10 but I don't know if the battery life will equal.
So I need a business phone. These are my piriorites:

1) Security (good encryption, etc)
2) Good battery life
3) Good software support (security patches)
4) Good radios for network support
5) Strong PIM suite

Music I don't care about. A nice camera for social media management is welcomed. Good typing experience is welcomed too.

Why a Key2?

1) Keyboard for note taking and all sorts of writing. In my current job, the iPhone is a pain in the *** to write notes on for extended periods of time. While my memory is good, sometimes I'll do draft clinic notes on the phone and email to myself so I just cut and paste (after appropriate edits) in the EMR.

2) Security: RIM isn't popular so no one is interested in stealing that. Plus I can get better local PIM control.

3) Headphone jack helps for local payment acceptance options for those who swipe cards.

4) Battery life is what I want

5) Social media is solid enough

6) Radios are still good

7) Well cheaper than the Note 10

Why I'm considering a Note 10 (not the Note 10+):

1) Social media management options are strong, especially with the cameras.

2) S Pen features are excellent for productivity. I like the improvements text transcribing, which gives me flexibility to write or text.

3) Better processing power and overall hardware.

4) Solid enough battery life.

5) More compact than it looks.

6) Radios are solid.

7) Software support has gotten better for carrier models

Just weighing it out. I'll get the computer first before I get the phone, unless I get a super deal. I could add a line through t-mobile to soften the hit, but I don't want to do that. Fi may give me the chance to get an old school north east number like a 201 or maybe a 718.

I have time, as this is all research. Once I decided, it's about getting the $ for the purchases.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

2) Good battery life
5) Strong PIM suite

Music I don't care about. A nice camera for social media management is welcomed. Good typing experience is welcomed too.

Why a Key2?

1) Keyboard for note taking and all sorts of writing. In my current job, the iPhone is a pain in the *** to write notes on for extended periods of time. While my memory is good, sometimes I'll do draft clinic notes on the phone and email to myself so I just cut and paste (after appropriate edits) in the EMR.

2) Security: RIM isn't popular so no one is interested in stealing that. Plus I can get better local PIM control.

3) Headphone jack helps for local payment acceptance options for those who swipe cards.

6) Radios are still good

2) S Pen features are excellent for productivity. I like the improvements text transcribing, which gives me flexibility to write or text.

6) Radios are solid.

Just weighing it out. I'll get the computer first before I get the phone, unless I get a super deal. I could add a line through t-mobile to soften the hit, but I don't want to do that. Fi may give me the chance to get an old school north east number like a 201 or maybe a 718.

I have time, as this is all research. Once I decided, it's about getting the $ for the purchases.
Have you considered an iPad? Those are extremely popular in the medical field, and there are many security options such as MDM. What would be involved re MDM for a private practice would obviously be much different than of one works at a large hospital system. The Apple Pencil might be beneficial too for note taking and signing papers.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

2) Good battery life
5) Strong PIM suite

Why a Key2?

6) Radios are still good

6) Radios are solid.

Having owned a Key2 as well as a Note (not the 10), let me give you some tips. Security is about equal since BlackBerry makes Knox what it is. This was a quid pro quo for the Priv getting its curved display in 2015. If updates are essential, TCL is not Nokia. Not even LG. The radios are on the better side than most phones not named Motorola.

As for using the S-Pen for signature capture, it won’t work as you’d expect unless you open the document in another app. PDF annotation has always been a sore spot with Android and it extends to Chromebooks too. I got a Samsung Plus CB thinking I could take advantage of the S-Pen and I was disappointed. Returned it for the HP x2 CB hoping it was just a Samsung thing but to no avail.

If you’re using an iPhone for work you may want to consider an iPad mini with an Apple Pencil. It really works very well and you can pass documents back and forth between your iPhone and iPad.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered an iPad? Those are extremely popular in the medical field, and there are many security options such as MDM. What would be involved re MDM for a private practice would obviously be much different than of one works at a large hospital system. The Apple Pencil might be beneficial too for note taking and signing papers.
The hospital IT uses MDM. The iPad could be a better secondary device for those reasons instead of something like a 2 in 1.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Having owned a Key2 as well as a Note (not the 10), let me give you some tips. Security is about equal since BlackBerry makes Knox what it is. This was a quid pro quo for the Priv getting its curved display in 2015. If updates are essential, TCL is not Nokia. Not even LG. The radios are on the better side than most phones not named Motorola.

As for using the S-Pen for signature capture, it won’t work as you’d expect unless you open the document in another app. PDF annotation has always been a sore spot with Android and it extends to Chromebooks too. I got a Samsung Plus CB thinking I could take advantage of the S-Pen and I was disappointed. Returned it for the HP x2 CB hoping it was just a Samsung thing but to no avail.

If you’re using an iPhone for work you may want to consider an iPad mini with an Apple Pencil. It really works very well and you can pass documents back and forth between your iPhone and iPad.
That's what I'm saying about TCL. It is the only BlackBerry licensee that's still around. The others are defunct. I suspect that TCL will also pull the plug and are just biding their time until the licensing agreement ends.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm doing this more on a personal setup than anything through the hospital. I may end up having to go the Apple route then. Probably something like the iPhone XR/11/SE2 and an iPad. Maybe a Windows iOS link vs Windows and Android.

I appreciate the feedback from both you and Laura. Lots to sift through still to find what works.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'm saying about TCL. It is the only BlackBerry licensee that's still around. The others are defunct. I suspect that TCL will also pull the plug and are just biding their time until the licensing agreement ends.
I don't doubt that you and Mr. Clue are onto something there. I don't want to get stuck in that if that's the case. As much as I don't like using Apple, unless something uber drastic happens, putting a toe in the walled garden for this project might be the way to go. Especially if I want to do some stuff on social media - that seemingly runs better on iOS than Android these days.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You like to do that. I nee the Nats made the World Series. The Astros gonna roast 'em eventually, the Nats' rotation will keep it interesting.
Haha.
So mean to me! I believe it will be a good series. I hope my Nats will continue to play hard. I have faith in them even though the Astros are good.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
For work stuff I threw in the towel and went Xr and iPad Pro 10.5 route. Make sure you check Pencil compatibility before you get any iPad model. The Logitech Crayon is a good alternative for certain iPad devices as well.

I do have a HP 2-in-1 issued by work as well.

Good luck with your search @MSFTisMIA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte