WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick update. Things aren't looking too good for the job.

The negotiations (which I have little part in) are not producing the results I want so it may happen that I'll turn this job down.

It's unfortunate but I don't really need the job, I already have one. I don't think this has sunk in to the people discussing things yet.

Nobody is going to take a job where they have more responsibility and make less money unless you're really keen on working for that company.

In my situation, I can care less.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The negotiations (which I have little part in) are not producing the results I want so it may happen that I'll turn this job down.

It's unfortunate but I don't really need the job, I already have one. I don't think this has sunk in to the people discussing things yet.

Nobody is going to take a job where they have more responsibility and make less money unless you're really keen on working for that company.

Management always seems to have this affinity with wanting to give people more work for less pay.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ah, UK based for "tax purposes" I'm sure.... I guess Brexit wasn't an issue for them. I wouldn't personally base my company in the UK at this point in time.

Though Bath is nice...

The website still says Mobile Nations though.

Future bought Mobile Nations so both points are correct. One of the choices they made was to remove ads from the forums...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Future bought Mobile Nations so both points are correct. One of the choices they made was to remove ads from the forums...

I honestly didn't know about the change. I should find out what this 'Future' company is. Probably getting user data...

I'm already contemplating deleting my Facebook account and Instagram account. I might keep Whatsapp but not sure. I really want to get away from Facebook and it's other companies. It's unfortunate that they have so many things now. I don't use Twitter or Snapchat.

All these social media companies (along with Google, MS, Apple) are just sucking society dry of any normalcy and intellect.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Management always seems to have this affinity with wanting to give people more work for less pay.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

I work in one industry sector currently and this job is in another sector. They typically have different wage expectations because of this.

However, it's still a supervisor position and still working on pretty large mega/giga projects so I'm not sure what to make of it.

They also have this weird idea I've never run into before. A two month period of a lower wage and then an increase to your proper wage (lower by about €20-30 per day). I don't know if this is the company or the recruiter doing this. It's completely bizarre and adds a level of WTF to the whole thing.

So not looking overly promising at the moment.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It sounds like you have the best attitude. It's disappointing that this is what they are offering.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't fully remember what I said but basically it was more like a feeling, almost like a pull, like I had to meet or be with these people. It's difficult to put into words.

I'm not one for love at first sight or anything like that either. We have chemicals in our brains that purposely trick us into 'falling in love' as it were very quickly (typically lasting for about two years). The idea of 'sparks flying' and chemistry (literally). This is believed to be based on the idea of producing children as soon as possible. It's generally part of our genetic makeup. But of course, nothing is that simple when you're human with all the extra baggage we carry and have created.

Of course biology is messy, there are differences. Hence people with different sexuality etc.

When it comes to meeting people it's always a choice to decide to be part of their lives or not. As MIA put it with the video. Just have fun and enjoy the experiences. I think we tend to get too caught up in things too quickly.

This is true. I'll keep this in mind. It's challenging for me not to do that. I'll really like to avoid repeating what I did last year.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't fully remember what I said but basically it was more like a feeling, almost like a pull, like I had to meet or be with these people. It's difficult to put into words.

I'm not one for love at first sight or anything like that either. We have chemicals in our brains that purposely trick us into 'falling in love' as it were very quickly (typically lasting for about two years). The idea of 'sparks flying' and chemistry (literally). This is believed to be based on the idea of producing children as soon as possible. It's generally part of our genetic makeup. But of course, nothing is that simple when you're human with all the extra baggage we carry and have created.

Of course biology is messy, there are differences. Hence people with different sexuality etc.

When it comes to meeting people it's always a choice to decide to be part of their lives or not. As MIA put it with the video. Just have fun and enjoy the experiences. I think we tend to get too caught up in things too quickly.
A cold hard truth is that quality of life had decreased in comparison to previous generations. As a result, lots of stuff has picked up a premium value. While this idea of love and choice is nice and all, there are lots of intimate relationships governed in a transactional manner surrounding access to resources at all levels. I might argue that making a child with someone else now has far reaching implications than it's had in a long time. Some governments want people to have kids to replenish population numbers. But the cost of the little people are increasing. Some governments only want some ethnic groups to help repopulate.

So while all the tension and pressure has some validity, somtimes you've got to roll the dice to see what is out there. It's about being smart about it, at least to me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I work in one industry sector currently and this job is in another sector. They typically have different wage expectations because of this.

However, it's still a supervisor position and still working on pretty large mega/giga projects so I'm not sure what to make of it.

They also have this weird idea I've never run into before. A two month period of a lower wage and then an increase to your proper wage (lower by about €20-30 per day). I don't know if this is the company or the recruiter doing this. It's completely bizarre and adds a level of WTF to the whole thing.

Ah, I see what you mean. That is interesting, but would clearly not work for you. I had to deal with a similar thing with my current position early on for the same period of time. After passing it, I was notified that I would get my full rate.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
A cold hard truth is that quality of life had decreased in comparison to previous generations. As a result, lots of stuff has picked up a premium value. While this idea of love and choice is nice and all, there are lots of intimate relationships governed in a transactional manner surrounding access to resources at all levels. I might argue that making a child with someone else now has far reaching implications than it's had in a long time. Some governments want people to have kids to replenish population numbers. But the cost of the little people are increasing. Some governments only want some ethnic groups to help repopulate.

So while all the tension and pressure has some validity, somtimes you've got to roll the dice to see what is out there. It's about being smart about it, at least to me.

I was avoiding the economic aspects and just looking at the general biology behind things.

I did mention the baggage and other aspects of relationships. There's also societal and cultural pressures.

There's really no such thing as being 'young and free' anymore.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ah, I see what you mean. That is interesting, but would clearly not work for you. I had to deal with a similar thing with my current position early on for the same period of time. After passing it, I was notified that I would get my full rate.

From a contractor point of view this idea makes zero sense. I'm either hired by the company for the rate discussed or I'm not. A two month trial is simply ludicrous for a contractor. Also not sure what they expect during this two months. I guess to make sure I'm not some psycho?

Not sure about French law precisely but typically contractors have a lot less rights than normal staff positions so set it up so you can get rid of people easier if they are psychos. That's what happens everywhere else.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
From a contractor point of view this idea makes zero sense. I'm either hired by the company for the rate discussed or I'm not. A two month trial is simply ludicrous for a contractor. Also not sure what they expect during this two months. I guess to make sure I'm not some psycho?

Not sure about French law precisely but typically contractors have a lot less rights than normal staff positions so set it up so you can get rid of people easier if they are psychos. That's what happens everywhere else.

I agree with you, it doesn't. I don't know what they expect to gain with doing this.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Based on my past experience it's more the new company thinks you should consider an honor to work for them. I worked for three major companies, Philips, Siemens and Carl Zeiss. Each had this mindset no matter the level of job you wer being offered.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

A monkey in a dress and a monkey in a suit the last time I checked are still monkeys at the end of the day.

Management always likes to use monkey **** to go after employees.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Based on my past experience it's more the new company thinks you should consider an honor to work for them. I worked for three major companies, Philips, Siemens and Carl Zeiss. Each had this mindset no matter the level of job you wer being offered.
That's what happens when companies are quick to remind us of how replaceable we are as employees.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's what happens when companies are quick to remind us of how replaceable we are as employees.

Ooh I read a post kinda related to this on Instagram today. Someone I follow shared it. It was a guy who posted the following:

He quit 5 jobs and given a two week notice each time. He was let go each time before the weeks were up.
"The moral of my story is we are all replaceable.

Does your employer really care about you? Is the extra work worth it? Is the mandated overtime worth it?
We are all disposable. Go home and spend time with your family. Use your vacation time. Take a mental health day. Hit the gym. Make time for your hobbies, interests, passions and personal development. Make time to leave your life. We can't get our time back."

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Ooh I read a post kinda related to this on Instagram today. Someone I follow shared it. It was a guy who posted the following:

He quit 5 jobs and given a two week notice each time. He was let go each time before the weeks were up.

Does your employer really care about you? Is the extra work worth it? Is the mandated overtime worth it?
We are all disposable. Go home and spend time with your family. Use your vacation time. Take a mental health day. Hit the gym. Make time for your hobbies, interests, passions and personal development. Make time to leave your life. We can't get our time back."
Capitalism at its finest. It's why those movies here about breaking out of one's shell or comedies like The Office or Parks and Recreation were so successful. They mirrored the crap that is US industrial work culture.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

In my line of work, and the program I'm working for, I get daily reminders of how disposable my services are. It's that part of the grind that makes it super taxing.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Capitalism at its finest. It's why those movies here about breaking out of one's shell or comedies like The Office or Parks and Recreation were so successful. They mirrored the crap that is US industrial work culture.

Haha true. When I read that, I was like, wow 5?! and then the fact that it happened each time is trippy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05