WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I feel sorry for Americans because they 'believe' in chasing this weird dream of being rich and having the 'American Dream'. They're willing to give away their lives for a company that just uses them and would happily replace them. I know not many chase the American Dream like they used to but it's still in the collective mindset.

The US government has never been 'for the the people', regardless of the slogans. A government that was, would mandate vacation, sick days and better worker rights at the minimum (without going in to healthcare). The US government does none of this. They only care about helping corporations and vice versa. They are pro capitalist. An individual needs to 'prove' their worth to these corporations but a corporation can be crap to the person.

That tells you everything that's wrong with the US.

The US could use some compassion but unfortunately there's a lot of people who just don't get it and actually fight against this. It confuses me. I'll never understand why someone would fight against fairly basic human rights and decency but that the US for you...

In the USA, we fight against big government. If we earn $1 we don’t like the idea of giving up
20-50% to a government bureaucracy. For many the corporation at least creates a job whereas the government is redistribution of earnings for many things we don’t want or believe in. Our culture has always been one that’s based on individualism. Within our borders, we believe in how we define human rights and many times prefer individual choice over group direction.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
In the USA, we fight against big government. If we earn $1 we don’t like the idea of giving up
20-50% to a government bureaucracy. For many the corporation at least creates a job whereas the government is redistribution of earnings for many things we don’t want or believe in. Our culture has always been one that’s based on individualism. Within our borders, we believe in how we define human rights and many times prefer individual choice over group direction.
Yeah. We kinda figured that's the vibe when the "Puritan ancestors" who couldn't hack it in Europe came west, threw the real Americans off their land and kicked the British out because they knew better on how to spend their money that they made by dragging my ancestors from Africa who were minding their own business here to do the backbreaking work for free and get no appropriate economic compensation.

And you wondering how come with THAT mentality a commander in thief got elected to the highest office in the land?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So, a few impressions:

1) I like the Xperia 5! The in hand feel makes sense as a compact. It's narrower than the Xperia 10 and the Xperia 1. It's galaxy S8/S9 kinda narrow. Screen is nice and it's about the same height as the V40. The cameras seem like a lateral move to what I have on the V40. The Xperia 1's in hand feel makes more sense - a bit wider comparatively to give more grip. Wish it had wireless charging though...

2) The Axon 10 Pro has a curved screen. Not as curved as the Mate 20 Pro, but more curved than the V40, and even the S10 line. It was all good until I opened the camera app. Didn't like what I saw in the viewfinder and the camera app layout. I think I'd use third party apps like crazy here.

3) Every time I see the S10+, it gets to be a better fit for the gf. I talked with her about it this week. It's such a nice device... Aint for me though.

4) Asus made some nice **** this year. The ROG II is awesome and the Zen 6 is very capable.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm digging the in hand feel of the Xperia 5. I'd try one for $400, not that crazy Sony price.
I think Sony was smart enough to update their design this way. I just wished they had added wireless charging. I'd love to see them keep this design for another year. Just put the damn power button on the left side next year if you need to keep it separate from the FPS. I don't mind if they skip the USFPS for another year.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Why did I like the Xperia 5? From an in hand feel perspective, Sony nailed what they were going for. Even for someone with large hands, the Xperia 5 didn't feel unwieldy at all. The thumb rested directly on the fingerprint scanner. One handed, it didn't feel as scraped as I thought it would be.

Very impressed, Sony. I can see why you killed the 3.5mm here, gives the phone too top heavy look. I wished they had, by putting it to the bottom.

I still would be more sold on the Xperia 5 if I felt the camera offered something more than LG. I still don't like how Sony's camera app is. I do like they kept the old school navigation buttons. It's a really good device...if the camera offered a bit more, I'd be all in.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Depending on what it is, it is a skill worth practicing.

I believe it. I was talking to my coworker today about things (including the next sentence that follows), and he said that the growth I have had all around has been great to see. I can't elaborate publicly (in case they read these forums, I'm not sure). Essentially, I went out with someone and there were some things I didn't like that they did so I let them know (in a reasonable and clear way). What came of that eventually is that they decided we should not continue talking. I held to my standard and if it's something they don't wish to meet, that's not my issue.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There's so much I can say to this...

Just for the record, I lived next to the US for a large portion of my life. I even took American history in school. Aside from the people I know on here I have had American friends for a long time. I have traveled quite a bit in the US as well.

The way you have phrased everything it's a clear indication to me that you have very little to no idea how the rest of the world works. You are paraphrasing things based on information received by others and have not had any real experience with.

I have no desire to argue about what 'America' is as I never lived in the country and to be very honest have absolutely no desire to do so. I don't think it's a straightforward as you claim it is though. The USA is a big country with varying cultural and political ideas across it. It is nowhere near as homogeneous as you make it seem. All countries are the same in this way.

My personal opinions about the USA is simply that. It's based on what I believe and what I feel. But it is grounded on decades of information.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Why did I like the Xperia 5? From an in hand feel perspective, Sony nailed what they were going for. Even for someone with large hands, the Xperia 5 didn't feel unwieldy at all. The thumb rested directly on the fingerprint scanner. One handed, it didn't feel as scraped as I thought it would be.

Very impressed, Sony. I can see why you killed the 3.5mm here, gives the phone too top heavy look. I wished they had, by putting it to the bottom.

I still would be more sold on the Xperia 5 if I felt the camera offered something more than LG. I still don't like how Sony's camera app is. I do like they kept the old school navigation buttons. It's a really good device...if the camera offered a bit more, I'd be all in.

That's a nice mini review. I personally think my wife would like it as well but with all the hassle we've had it's looking like she just wants to forget about it.

Now if only the fingerprint scanner was better...

I have had a chance to actually hold the 5 without wires attached so maybe (not sure at this moment in time) when/if the 5 ever shows up I may get a chance to.

The cameras on the X5 are the same as the X1. I've never used the LG so can't really compare.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So it looks like the new job is moving forward. Hopefully I'll have the contract today. Plan is to give notice at my current place Monday.

I feel a little sad about that too. I do like everyone here so it will be bitter sweet.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
'Murica is such a lesson in scam psychology sometimes it ain't funny.

I had to sit with one of my senior clients today to do the unenviable task of picking an insurance plan during open enrollment. The best thing that came out of this for me was it forced me to do research and for my own open enrollment for insurance coverage next year, I'll be more methodical in my own needs analysis next fall.

What stands out is that across so many things, the system here likes to put the cheapest overall option with the highest upfront costs. So if you have the capital upfront, you take the hit that way but save in the long run. If you don't, there are options that look cheaper upfront but are drawn out longer to extract more $. It's why the rich have the upper hand. They have the capital upfront to take advantage of the opportunity and can stay ahead.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Just for the record, I lived next to the US for a large portion of my life. I even took American history in school. Aside from the people I know on here I have had American friends for a long time. I have traveled quite a bit in the US as well.

The way you have phrased everything it's a clear indication to me that you have very little to no idea how the rest of the world works. You are paraphrasing things based on information received by others and have not had any real experience with.

I have no desire to argue about what 'America' is as I never lived in the country and to be very honest have absolutely no desire to do so. I don't think it's a straightforward as you claim it is though. The USA is a big country with varying cultural and political ideas across it. It is nowhere near as homogeneous as you make it seem. All countries are the same in this way.

My personal opinions about the USA is simply that. It's based on what I believe and what I feel. But it is grounded on decades of information.
For me, this best summarizes the relationship between those (predominantly old non brown folk) that don't like government involved in their affairs here in the US and the government itself (especially 0:46).

https://youtu.be/9FnO3igOkOk

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site

The homogeneous part of the USA is that we simply prefer individualism over just about everything. I’m from Peru on mother’s side and have traveled extensively there and Mexico plus other parts of Latin America. I’m not paraphrasing anything since I live in the midst of the very culture we’re discussing.

A phenomena of American culture is that we’re individualists so deeply and our differing viewpoints are just that. We’re not conformists and don’t have or want to be.

I’m assuming that by next to USA you meant Canada and that’s perfect example. If America wants to be like Canada, then it will happen. At this point about 1/2 of the American population doesn’t want the complicated trade offs so we remain how we are.

The interesting thing is that we can’t be all that bad if we’re arguing here about having a wall to keep too many people from coming in. Regardless of what the solution is, we have the problem of too many people want in and not enough want out to balance the numbers. That’s a simple observation. It’s one not based on politics but simple mathematics that are nonpartisan.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Yeah. We kinda figured that's the vibe when the "Puritan ancestors" who couldn't hack it in Europe came west, threw the real Americans off their land and kicked the British out because they knew better on how to spend their money that they made by dragging my ancestors from Africa who were minding their own business here to do the backbreaking work for free and get no appropriate economic compensation.

And you wondering how come with THAT mentality a commander in thief got elected to the highest office in the land?

I’d say Trump got elected because he tapped into a silent majority of electoral voters that have felt ignored by politicians from either side of the aisle.

Look at the growth of the registered independent voters in our country who don’t support either party with any enthusiasm.

As far as slavery, let’s not forget there were enough people that disagreed with it, that it became part of a debate of state vs federal rights. Whether the Civil War happened over state rights or slavery itself can never be fully agreed upon but the point was that it did happen and we’ve attempted to move forward as single country for 150 years.

The American way of life is simply one that allows individual choices and consequences. We’ve always resisted big government regardless of everything when it affects our individual freedoms. The system was designed to protect those rights and those rights do exist. It doesn’t mean that people aren’t constantly attempting to deny those individual rights and freedoms we are entitled to by law.

I’m a minority and my brownish to black eyes with my Hispanic features have subjected me to discrimination for years. Funny this, I never realized it since I though I was American, the same as everyone. It was only in recent years, that I’ve realized that everyone discriminated against me, in some way. Hispanic, because I had Caucasian father and spoke little Spanish, and Whites that knew I wasn’t exactly like them. I’m a mixed breed and that’s never stopped me yet.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
'Murica is such a lesson in scam psychology sometimes it ain't funny.

I had to sit with one of my senior clients today to do the unenviable task of picking an insurance plan during open enrollment. The best thing that came out of this for me was it forced me to do research and for my own open enrollment for insurance coverage next year, I'll be more methodical in my own needs analysis next fall.

What stands out is that across so many things, the system here likes to put the cheapest overall option with the highest upfront costs. So if you have the capital upfront, you take the hit that way but save in the long run. If you don't, there are options that look cheaper upfront but are drawn out longer to extract more $. It's why the rich have the upper hand. They have the capital upfront to take advantage of the opportunity and can stay ahead.

Even when people have the money, they still choose by price more than anything since that’s our psyche culturally. People look at everything like retirement planning and insurance of all types as if going to dentist.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
For me, this best summarizes the relationship between those (predominantly old non brown folk) that don't like government involved in their affairs here in the US and the government itself (especially 0:46).

https://youtu.be/9FnO3igOkOk

I’m 49 and brownish carmel like any good half breed Hispanic so I’m not sure where that puts me. I refuse to let that keep me down though as I’m American pure and simple. I like business minded people and can’t stand professional “never had real long-term job” politicians since they have no reason to really exist. They stand around telling everyone how to do it better, instead of just doing it better through actual example.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb