WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
You're not very good with the jokes and sarcasm are you?

Though, yes I'm liberal, it was meant as a bit of very obvious sarcasm.

My thoughts on the idea of countries is a whole other thing. I understand why there's countries in the current state of things but at the end of the day, we're all human. We're all the same. We all evolved from the same place, Africa. Human rights violations should be everyone's concerned and they has no borders, country or religion as far as I'm concerned.

I get the jokes and sarcasm as best they can be expressed over social media. I’m careful with sarcasm only because I’ve racked up so many violation points in my early days that I still have a Mobile Nations parole officer. See what I did there..

Human rights is everyone’s concern. Hitting the like button for pro-human rights causes in social media accomplishes next to zero though. For me, I want to make change, however low in the food chain, in real life. Hence, my focus on where I’m at. Hong Kong riots were awful, but I can better push freedom and democracy in real life in my interactions by practicing it as morally and ethically by example.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Just tried overnight oats for the first time (I bought it) and I'm a fan. It was made with oat milk, chia seeds, cranberries, and pumpkin seeds.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Just learned about a startup that will help you buy a home by buying the home and then charging you rent for it, which reduces as you are building equity in the house. After you have made all of the payments, you are given the title if you want it. I find this to be very interesting. Thoughts?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/star...-buy-a-home-without-a-mortgage-132636216.html

Depending on what the final product actually is, could be interesting with certain regions of country but not others. Right now, many unknown variables. The comments section of the article had many pro/con opinions that create unusual but distinct scenarios.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Depending on what the final product actually is, could be interesting with certain regions of country but not others. Right now, many unknown variables. The comments section of the article had many pro/con opinions that create unusual but distinct scenarios.

Hm, you do raise a good point. That would make this interesting. I'll have to look at the comment section.

Edit: You're right, the comment section wasn't too bad for once lol.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So the good news the house drama is officially over! We now have our money back. So that's done.

Now if I can only get the rest of the nonsense sorted that would be good.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Morning musings.

So it looks like the Tories won the election with a major majority. Looks like Brexit is going to happen one way or another for sure now.

I'm not really surprised they Tories won. Not that I wanted them to win. A far right populist PM in power in the UK. What joy.

Very glad to be out of that mess. Just curious to see how this pans out now....

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Morning musings.

So it looks like the Tories won the election with a major majority. Looks like Brexit is going to happen one way or another for sure now.

I'm not really surprised they Tories won. Not that I wanted them to win. A far right populist PM in power in the UK. What joy.

Completely don’t understand the situation here because when I read the viewpoints either side, I don’t feel I’m getting accurate third side AKA truth. Partly since I can’t accurately filter the media bias.

It seems like either way over the last five years, UK citizens want out of the EU for variety of reasons. If that’s case, like a divorce, is the fight to keep them in? Fair or equitable settlement? Punitively and (un)fairly punish the UK for perceived (right or wrong) rejection of future EU membership?

So much of everything today, is black/white and the 50 shades of grey that in reality affect people’s decisions in voting, are hushed as steamy taboo..

I wish I could understand the whole Europe view from all sides because I’m not surprised it eventually happened. The EU makes sense like a trading bloc, yet I felt like many things in the 90s, it looked good on paper, yet nobody really thought about possible unintended consequences or too easily dismissed the possibilities. The closest we have over here is NAFTA but it’s obviously not the same.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
No review yet on the Lenovo because there are some accessories I need to get first. The thing is an utter finger oils magnet. I wanted to put a simple carbon fibre skin on it, but I'll start out with a cover first. The cover gets in the way of tablet mode, but that's OK. The plan is to get the skin, the cover, a case and a keyboard cover.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Morning musings.

Well, old Boris is gonna have to own this train wreck called Brexit 100% now. When the ones who are old and have been in power for eons feel threatened, knuckleheadedness happens and the usual suspects (the poor) bear the brunt of the consequences.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Well, old Boris is gonna have to own this train wreck called Brexit 100% now. When the ones who are old and have been in power for eons feel threatened, knuckleheadedness happens and the usual suspects (the poor) bear the brunt of the consequences.

But if the UK people don’t want Brexit, as long as fairly equitable, like a divorce, let them leave...

I never understood the desire to be in a relationship where the feeling isn’t mutual or reciprocated. I read somewhere that Scotland or Northern Ireland could also vote for independence from the UK and if this can be done legitimately, why not?

All of the so called unity does nothing to help the poor and disenfranchised. Many times it seems to just enlarge the bureaucracy and divert the money from the intended to bureaucratic overhead.

I’m usually pro-business, yet I look at NAFTA, since it’s closest I have for comparison and I don’t see the benefits I supported back then as ever materialized, and I don’t see that it helped any impoverished either. Sadly, compassion isn’t possible to write into contracts or legislatively enforce.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Completely don’t understand the situation here because when I read the viewpoints either side, I don’t feel I’m getting accurate third side AKA truth. Partly since I can’t accurately filter the media bias.

It seems like either way over the last five years, UK citizens want out of the EU for variety of reasons. If that’s case, like a divorce, is the fight to keep them in? Fair or equitable settlement? Punitively and (un)fairly punish the UK for perceived (right or wrong) rejection of future EU membership?

So much of everything today, is black/white and the 50 shades of grey that in reality affect people’s decisions in voting, are hushed as steamy taboo..

I wish I could understand the whole Europe view from all sides because I’m not surprised it eventually happened. The EU makes sense like a trading bloc, yet I felt like many things in the 90s, it looked good on paper, yet nobody really thought about possible unintended consequences or too easily dismissed the possibilities. The closest we have over here is NAFTA but it’s obviously not the same.

The EU is nothing like NAFTA. Not even close.

I agree totally that the black/white view of things that seems so common now is ridiculous. Everything is shades of grey.

The UK's relationship with the EU is a bit complex and would take a long time to explain but I'll try to succinct.

Things to understand about the EU.

One, countries are still sovereign nations and make their own laws. This includes taxes, immigration, and other day to day things. Each country has a veto and representation within the EU. The EU is very democratic.

Two, the EU makes laws for trade and services between countries and sets up standards. Typically following international standards.

Three, the EU has courts for disputes and for human rights. They are considered the highest courts. This is a point of contention the the UK has always had.

Four, the EU implemented the four freedoms (known as the Single Market and Common Market). This allows the free movement of people, goods, services and capital.

The UK has prospered within the EU to the point of being one of the highest GDP countries within it. Every country pays the same percentage into the EU based on their GDP. The EU budget is used for programs within countries to do various things. Every country has access to these funds.

Ever since the UK joined the EU there were Eurosceptics. These people have spent the last 40 years spreading misinformation about the EU. This is via different forms of media. On top of that the UK has given very little education about the EU during this period of time to it's citizens.

The problem - because the UK is a sovereign nation, it controls it's own budget, etc. Because of this it's neglected certain parts of the country in favour of other parts of the country. Because they haven't educated the populace about the EU, it's been very easy to put the blame on pretty much everything on the EU. Which is total BS of course.

As for Brexit. It's basically a protest against the UK government (wanting the UK government to pay attention to it's own citizens) than against the EU. The last 40 years of misinformation helped greatly and lack of knowledge even better. It is also a protest against globalization, which the UK government has clearly indicated that it wants to embrace. It is virtually impossible to get a coherent answer as to why leaving the EU is a good thing from any Brexiter without it sounding like pie in the sky nonsense.

What's going to happen to all these areas the voted in favour of leaving the EU that have been neglected by the UK government for the last 40 years? Pretty much more of the same. Add to that more loss of industry most likely. Along with a whole bunch of other right wing 'improvements'.

The EU has stated multiple times it would be happy to have the UK stay and eventually even return if it wanted to. But it would be under EU conditions rather than situation it has now.

Last thing to know. Currently the UK has THE BEST situation in the EU compared to any other country. So you can understand why many think this is whole thing totally insane.

There's lots of other aspects to this I could point out but this is getting long winded.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
But if the UK people don’t want Brexit, as long as fairly equitable, like a divorce, let them leave...

I never understood the desire to be in a relationship where the feeling isn’t mutual or reciprocated. I read somewhere that Scotland or Northern Ireland could also vote for independence from the UK and if this can be done legitimately, why not?

Scotland is likely to ask for a referendum because the last time they used the EU (Scotland is very pro EU) as a way of convincing them to stay. It would likely be a big yes to leave if they get the chance to hold one soon.

As for Northern Ireland. Unity has been an issue for some time. It was the EU that brought NI and I together, known as the Good Friday Agreement. Brexit is actually a break of the agreement by the UK. This why calls for a unified Ireland have started. The election has actually brought in more Nationalist (those who want a unified Ireland) than Unionist (those against). So there is a possibility of a referendum.

The majority of people who voted to leave the EU did so because they felt it was taking up too much of the UK governments time. Also putting money into something they saw no benefit from. This is not the EU's fault but the UK governments as I explained already.

The last three years of debating Brexit in parliament has shown that the division is country wide. Most people voted Tory because they just want the whole thing done with and are tired of it. Very little thought really went into I think. Three years of stalled domestic policy will do that to you.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The EU is nothing like NAFTA. Not even close.

I agree totally that the black/white view of things that seems so common now is ridiculous. Everything is shades of grey.

The UK's relationship with the EU is a bit complex and would take a long time to explain but I'll try to succinct.

Things to understand about the EU.

One, countries are still sovereign nations and make their own laws. This includes taxes, immigration, and other day to day things. Each country has a veto and representation within the EU. The EU is very democratic.

Two, the EU makes laws for trade and services between countries and sets up standards. Typically following international standards.

Three, the EU has courts for disputes and for human rights. They are considered the highest courts. This is a point of contention the the UK has always had.

Four, the EU implemented the four freedoms (known as the Single Market and Common Market). This allows the free movement of people, goods, services and capital.

The UK has prospered within the EU to the point of being one of the highest GDP countries within it. Every country pays the same percentage into the EU based on their GDP. The EU budget is used for programs within countries to do various things. Every country has access to these funds.

Ever since the UK joined the EU there were Eurosceptics. These people have spent the last 40 years spreading misinformation about the EU. This is via different forms of media. On top of that the UK has given very little education about the EU during this period of time to it's citizens.

The problem - because the UK is a sovereign nation, it controls it's own budget, etc. Because of this it's neglected certain parts of the country in favour of other parts of the country. Because they haven't educated the populace about the EU, it's been very easy to put the blame on pretty much everything on the EU. Which is total BS of course.

As for Brexit. It's basically a protest against the UK government (wanting the UK government to pay attention to it's own citizens) than against the EU. The last 40 years of misinformation helped greatly and lack of knowledge even better. It is also a protest against globalization, which the UK government has clearly indicated that it wants to embrace. It is virtually impossible to get a coherent answer as to why leaving the EU is a good thing from any Brexiter without it sounding like pie in the sky nonsense.

What's going to happen to all these areas the voted in favour of leaving the EU that have been neglected by the UK government for the last 40 years? Pretty much more of the same. Add to that more loss of industry most likely. Along with a whole bunch of other right wing 'improvements'.

The EU has stated multiple times it would be happy to have the UK stay and eventually even return if it wanted to. But it would be under EU conditions rather than situation it has now.

Last thing to know. Currently the UK has THE BEST situation in the EU compared to any other country. So you can understand why many think this is whole thing totally insane.

There's lots of other aspects to this I could point out but this is getting long winded.
The thing I understood the least is how and why the UK was a member of the EU but still had the £ as its currency, rather than the €.

Do you think that this latest election will drive down the value of the £ vs the $? I remember purchasing items from the UK cheaply when the Brexit vote happened, and the exchange rate was favourable for the $ vs the £.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The thing I understood the least is how and why the UK was a member of the EU but still had the £ as its currency, rather than the €.

Do you think that this latest election will drive down the value of the £ vs the $? I remember purchasing items from the UK cheaply when the Brexit vote happened, and the exchange rate was favourable for the $ vs the £.
The UK had a lot of privileges in the EU. When they first asked to join France blocked them because the president at the time feared they would think of themselves first and the EU second. There's a very good article on it I'll have to find.

Basically the UK negotiated it's terms when it joined the EU. No country can do that now.

As what will happen to the pound. Your guess is as good as mine. I suspect it will fall but not entirely sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos