WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'll give him a listen.

I was going through some other progressive rock groups after Tool and a few them sound like Tool, not that I want that, but I didn't give them a thorough listen.
I'm just waiting for the following line:

"One day on the car ride home I saw the Yellow Vests and decided to play some Protege and Chronixx. Yes, we're screwed but there may be some hope yet."

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Unusually warm day here in the Northeast (66°F). It feels like for at least one January day every year we have a very warm day like this for the past 10 years. I remember once it was 73 in the day and 37 at night. I was a a temp job and saw short and open toes and was cracking up - its still January in this part of the world after all.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
New phone itch still comes and goes. Nothing overly compelling to spend money on. I really, really like the Xperia 5 and V50's in hand feel. I'm fine with chugging along on my V40 until MWC to see what gets announced. Still plan to add the Xiaomi and Pureview by summer 2020 but neither will be daily drivers.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's nice to have access to an updated Samsung device. She's still in the process of adding on her touches. I got the third degree where I didn't get her a clear case to show off the back of her phone (she got a business like navy blue and back case that gives good grip, weight and drop protection).

Again really like the in hand feel of the S10+. For some reason though, I don't like the camera app layout or the output - reminds me too much of the Mate 20 Pro. The high end cameras feel like Instagram filters these days...all similar and it's a matter of personal preference.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I still year for a pocket rocket. I think that 18:9 6" with a big battery is my sweet spot. Still, I do get what Sony was going for with 21:9. For vertical scrolling, it's great. Also so much easier to read through web pages and basic documents that way.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Unusually warm day here in the Northeast (66°F). It feels like for at least one January day every year we have a very warm day like this for the past 10 years. I remember once it was 73 in the day and 37 at night. I was a a temp job and saw short and open toes and was cracking up - its still January in this part of the world after all.

Wow. The one time I am not here, it's warmer there

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to see how the big boys this year justify the pricing for their Gen 1B 5G devices. It's gonna be asinine asking for more money for early tech, especially carrier branded models...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to see how the big boys this year justify the pricing for their Gen 1B 5G devices. It's gonna be asinine asking for more money for early tech, especially carrier branded models...
Oneplus is a company to watch also. Looks like they may be overextending themselves or can no long be called budget focused. Interesting how they've moved into a space that I wanted LG to occupy - premium mid range/value flagship. I lm curious to see what Realme does too. That X2 Pro looks super, super good.

There were some interesting devices where I'm also curious about the follow up this year. Realme X2 Pro, Redmi K20 (I don't count the K30), Asus Zenfone 6, ZTE Axon 10 Pro.

What direction will Xiaomi go with the flagship Mi line? Mi 9 was very good and balanced as well, but undercut by some of the devices above. Same could be said of the Asus R.O.G. II.

Pixel 4A? I suspect if this ships with a 5G chip at a killer price the carriers will push it like mad. Google needs to do something different with the Pixel 5.

Foldable phones too...not my cup of tea, but it seems people are interested because all phones look and feel the same now.

Looks like Sony is refining last years design. How will Gen 2 of internal cooperation with the camera division fare? Guess the new con will be using 60hz screens on flash ships in 2020.

Compelling reading.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Also worth noting. Will there be a HTC sighting? Will we care about the 9.2 Pureview? How badly will LG sleepwalk through 2020? Will moto offer more than just the Razr?

Yes, great reading material.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Also worth noting. Will there be a HTC sighting? Will we care about the 9.2 Pureview? How badly will LG sleepwalk through 2020? Will moto offer more than just the Razr?

Yes, great reading material.

I doubt it as Google purchased most of their hardware for all practical matters and it’s what you know as their proprietary hardware line now.

Not sure about Pureview 9.2 and Motorola is struggling within carrier support. LG is fighting to remain #2 against Google with the carriers.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it as Google purchased most of their hardware for all practical matters and it’s what you know as their proprietary hardware line now.

Not sure about Pureview 9.2 and Motorola is struggling within carrier support. LG is fighting to remain #2 against Google with the carriers.
Moto has always been available with Verizon, so I wonder if they will continue that relationship. It's always been possible to get more Moto devices from Verizon than from any other US carrier. I'd miss Moto if they disappeared, since I loved the OG Moto X. That was a great little phone and one of the few that had a nice curved back and grippy texture that had the best in hand feel to me of any phone I've owned.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I had mixed feelings about this afterwards. They didn't address the homogeny issue as good as they could have. That didn't make me feel as if I was fully in the target audience.

On the other hand, it's a good example of when absolute poverty is better controlled.
I agree about the homogeneous part. The simple truth is that Finland and most of the other Nordic countries are mostly 'white' and ethnic diversity is quite low.

Whether this has any impact on happiness I'm not sure.

They're also all very low on the religiosity scale as well. Favour education and social well-being.

I can't say for all of them but I know that Finland does it's best to look after it's people. Whoever they are. No one is homeless and if you have children you have priority. Given grants, etc. It's pretty amazing.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the homogeneous part. The simple truth is that Finland and most of the other Nordic countries are mostly 'white' and ethnic diversity is quite low.

Whether this has any impact on happiness I'm not sure.

They're also all very low on the religiosity scale as well. Favour education and social well-being.

I can't say for all of them but I know that Finland does it's best to look after it's people. Whoever they are. No one is homeless and if you have children you have priority. Given grants, etc. It's pretty amazing.
There aren't enough (black) countries with the same level or better in terms of economic prosperity/stability to use a similar or alternative model listed in the video (Barbados?). I'm too tired of Monday to elaborate.

I would also argue that the natural environment in Nordic dictates more of a more collaborative approach (they tried the opposite early in their history and we can see what the results were).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There aren't enough (black) countries with the same level or better in terms of economic prosperity/stability to use a similar or alternative model listed in the video (Barbados?). I'm too tired of Monday to elaborate.

I would also argue that the natural environment in Nordic dictates more of a more collaborative approach (they tried the opposite early in their history and we can see what the results were).
I haven't looked into myself to know what other countries are similar.

I have to agree that in Nordic countries you need corporation.

Also, they are good places but not perfect. No place is.

I'm not a fan of this 'happiest place on earth' nonsense either. Since I actually lived in Finland I know that it's got problems like everywhere else. They just have better systems to deal with some of it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Monday... I see you brought one of my foratives with you - train delays. Water main breaks, people requiring medical attention, etc. It's not like you WANT me to stay home either.

Keep this up and I'll run you out on a rail by noon...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't looked into myself to know what other countries are similar.

I have to agree that in Nordic countries you need corporation.

Also, they are good places but not perfect. No place is.

I'm not a fan of this 'happiest place on earth' nonsense either. Since I actually lived in Finland I know that it's got problems like everywhere else. They just have better systems to deal with some of it.
That's the other bit that glossed over when the Danes talked about their suicide rates. Planet Earth is never meant to be perfect. It's just that where there is more absolute poverty and super wealthy, all sorts of issues get highlighted.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is one concept I use to look at life.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a fan of this 'happiest place on earth' nonsense either.
The happiest place on Earth is where you make it. Nobody cares about your problems any more than you care about anyone else's so it stands to reason that if you're content with what you have, f*** da bloodclot others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte