WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The happiest place on Earth is where you make it. Nobody cares about your problems any more than you care about anyone else's so it stands to reason that if you're content with what you have, f*** da bloodclot others.
Was this what you meant?

Not according to those pople dipicted in the piece.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So I'm wistfully looking through HTC U12+ data. Why didn't I get this phone?

- too expensive
- very cloudy long term software support
- slower current software support
- HTC Sense is old as the hills
- had just gotten a HTC 10 to restore

Otherwise, I liked most of what the phone was offering. Really did.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So I'm wistfully looking through HTC U12+ data. Why didn't I get this phone?

- too expensive
- very cloudy long term software support
- slower current software support
- HTC Sense is old as the hills
- had just gotten a HTC 10 to restore

Otherwise, I liked most of what the phone was offering. Really did.

The HTC U12+ is the last phone they've released, and that was back in 2018. Do you think they're defunct, since they went over a year with nothing new?

It'd be a shame if HTC is gone, since they had some really innovative devices over the years, just not lately.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The HTC U12+ is the last phone they've released, and that was back in 2018. Do you think they're defunct, since they went over a year with nothing new?

It'd be a shame if HTC is gone, since they had some really innovative devices over the years, just not lately.
Think that they have switched to making VR now. Don't think they will do much phones. I kinda wish they'd do a 5G handset this year but at the price they'd ask for, not sure if people would buy it.

The cheapest I can get a U12+ new is $470. That's not a great buy in 2020 when I can turn that into a Mi 9 or Oneplus 7 or Mi 9T Pro or ZTE Axon 10 Pro or a Nubia Red Magic 3S or a Pixel 3A/Mi 9T and keep a few dollars in pocket. If it were $400, it's still overpriced, but I could kinda justify it. But that's the thing, it's not different than buying the 950XL in the last two years of its life.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Think that they have switched to making VR now. Don't think they will do much phones. I kinda wish they'd do a 5G handset this year but at the price they'd ask for, not sure if people would buy it.
Bummer. I have zero interest in VR.

The cheapest I can get a U12+ new is $470. That's not a great buy in 2020 when I can turn that into a Mi 9 or Oneplus 7 or Mi 9T Pro or ZTE Axon 10 Pro or a Nubia Red Magic 3S or a Pixel 3A/Mi 9T and keep a few dollars in pocket. If it were $400, it's still overpriced, but I could kinda justify it. But that's the thing, it's not different than buying the 950XL in the last two years of its life.
I agree with you on the pricing. I wouldn't pay that much for a phone that's almost 2 years old either.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's possible that the apartment hunt is over.

No celebrations until the keys are in hand...

If I haven't mentioned this before there's lots of paperwork involved. Even if it's private.

I'll post more once we know for sure.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Bummer. I have zero interest in VR.

I agree with you on the pricing. I wouldn't pay that much for a phone that's almost 2 years old either.
In defense of the U12+, the camera looks like it beats most of those on that list and stands very well to the Pixel 3. On audio it stands very well to the Axon 10 Pro and beats everything else.

I just thought that it was the pricing and questions about the company's existence in the next two years that killed the phone. The haptic button issue was overblown, for me at least. I wished that they had just the 128GB model at $750 on launch, guaranteed the two years of updates and said that's where we are.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing this is the final kick in the nuts. Sadly I'm posting this on my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on the best mobile virtual keyboard I've ever known.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20200114_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20200114_0001.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 6

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It's coming....
e2e9642c12034a3846998ebd05d69808.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So...I'm thinking about getting a Xioami as an intermezzo device, depending on what gets announced by LG at MWC this year. I somehow have a suspicion that LG will punt again this year (strong in audio, manual mode - decent auto mode and not very good pricing wise).

I was initially leaning towards a Mi Mix 3 5g, but if I plan to really use this as a daily driver, I may be better served with a Mi 9T pro. My ultimate preference would be a Xperia 5 or V50, my issues are that the Xperia 5 is too expensive and I cannot get my hands on a V50 (Korean) in a non hassle free manner (eBay). I would rather something smaller, but I don't want to get a G8 (V50 is preferred here).

I'd rather get a new device (I can get a mint Xperia 1 under $500). The camera for the both devices seem good enough to get by and I can find a G cam port if I need too. If I get a 9T pro, I might get a 256GB version vs the 128 model.

Normally a ZTE Axon 10 Pro would be considered (big screen, big battery, expanded storage and Qi). But, it's a curved screen and quite frankly, my Mate 20 Pro still betters this phone. Plus it seems like the Xioami has better cameras than the Axon here.

The battery of the V40 (which wasn't new upon purchase), isn't holding up as well as I would like. Xiaomi still has some of the better 3.5mm around, so it's not a total loss there. Not a fan of the no IP rating or Qi, but I've used Xiaomi devices before (and use their tablet daily). Still, it's earlier days yet. I can wait another month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos