WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So some trolls online are up in arms with the prices of Xiaomi's Mi10 and Mi10 pro models. I'm more up in arms about it being curved displays, so I guess that's a thing now. I'm good with the Mi9 for what I intend to use it for.

Back to the Mi10 for a second. These same tracks who are crying about price have a point, but not really. Their ire shouldn't be directed at Xiaomi. Other major OEMs are still overcharging for their devices and comparatively speaking, Xiaomi still offers a ton of value for the money. If people weren't spending money the way they do in the high end market, then this wouldn't be an issue. Even OPPO backed Oneplus is asking prices. There's a ton of competition in the budget flagship space.

Truthfully, anything from the SD820 chip down still runs good for basics. So chasing the latest only fuels waste and the excuse for OEMs to continue to charge what they're currently charging.
The T-Mobile promotion that Google is doing now (which I suspect a few people took advantage of) is a good example. A pixel 4 for $399 brand new is killer, even if the battery is bad and it's only 64GB. Buying this at full price is still an April Fool's joke level bad decision. Like with the Pixel 3, Google's pricing killed the phone of they were pushing for wider availability.

It's decisions in the pricier end of the high end market that squeezes some folks. Plus, historically, only Samsung has made significant profits from Android.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The T-Mobile promotion that Google is doing now (which I suspect a few people took advantage of) is a good example. A pixel 4 for $399 brand new is killer, even if the battery is bad and it's only 64GB. Buying this at full price is still an April Fool's joke level bad decision. Like with the Pixel 3, Google's pricing killed the phone of they were pushing for wider availability.

It's decisions in the pricier end of the high end market that squeezes some folks. Plus, historically, only Samsung has made significant profits from Android.
You suspect correctly. $500 for the Pixel 4 XL was too good to pass up. You could do a LOT worse with 5 bones when buying a phone.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You suspect correctly. $500 for the Pixel 4 XL was too good to pass up. You could do a LOT worse with 5 bones when buying a phone.
It is tempting. I think that I still would have picked the ZTE Axon 10 Pro over the Pixel 4XL at that price, but that's just me. I thought the Pixel 4 at $400 was a bit more interesting, garbage battery and all. I would have gotten one, but I got too many devices as is.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So the case for and against the Pixel 4 on sale.

Pros:

- the price. If you can stomach the bad battery, the Pixel 4 is a bit more appealing. Especially if you finance it. The more sensible play based on this deal is the extra $100 for the XL, as your battery will be decent.

- all of the features that people liked about the Pixel 4 are still present and become more appealing due to the price cut.

Cons:

- it's only the 64GB models on sale. No surprise there.

- all the cons of Pixel 4 are still here, which are a bit more tolerable with the price cut.

I think if this was a sheer dump by Google for T-mobile customers, the Pixel 4 (128GB) for $450 and the Pixel 4XL (128GB) for $550 would have been the move. That's gangbusters there. For those prices, it's Mi 9 level sort of pricing.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
You need to go back and read what's happened in my life.

I haven't lived in cheap countries or low tax countries.

I grew up virtually poor. Luckily in a nice working class neighbourhood.

Never thought I'd live in four different countries.

Oh Kay I’m sorry about that, I was just kidding . Guess I’ve no sense of humour :|

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Pros:

- the price. If you can stomach the bad battery, the Pixel 4 is a bit more appealing. Especially if you finance it. The more sensible play based on this deal is the extra $100 for the XL, as your battery will be decent.

- all of the features that people liked about the Pixel 4 are still present and become more appealing due to the price cut.

Cons:

- all the cons of Pixel 4 are still here, which are a bit more tolerable with the price cut.

I think if this was a sheer dump by Google for T-mobile customers, the Pixel 4 (128GB) for $450 and the Pixel 4XL (128GB) for $550 would have been the move. That's gangbusters there. For those prices, it's Mi 9 level sort of pricing.
Why did the Pixel 4 get a bad rap? It's a beta phone experience that's overpriced, IMO. Kinda like the 950 series launched with Windows 10. Not as bad, but you get the idea.

If I compare it to the Mi 9 of last year, nuances get highlighted.

Mi 9 over Pixel 4 (not the XL):

- Bigger battery, better battery life
- Bigger screen
- Faster charging (especially wireless)
- More versatile camera setup
- smaller notch (for those who care about that)
- you could find it in a 256GB model which was still cheaper than the base Pixel 4.

Pixel 4 over Mi 9:

- Faster software updates and security patches
- Better main camera
- 90HZ screen
- IP rating for water resistance

Now, the XL pulls even or may be slightly ahead with the bigger battery...but based on my in hand feel, the Mi 9 is more compact than the XL. Thats it. Both phones fly performance wise and the extras (IR blaster - Mi 9 vs Solis system - Pixel 4) are a bit of a wash.

I get where Google was coming from with the Pixel 4. On its own, it ain't a bad phone. It's just that given the price point they're playing in, there's a lot lacking in terms of value there in comparison to what "more" someone can get picking some of the other options, even if the person barely uses those features.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Pros:

Cons:

A sale as such in its current format is still solid because for people who want the premium Google experience, paying half off for the handset is the way to go vs the 3A line. The units that sell the most have always been the entry level storage options, so it makes sense to move as many 64GB units as possible.

I really liked the in hand feel for both Pixel 4 models, something I couldn't say as easily over the Pixel 3 models. I will say I did enjoy my Pixel 2 experience, outside of the battery size. Phone just worked, ran well and when I was in those low effort modes, the camera was perfect. It was a good experience, and I wouldn't mind owning another Pixel.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh Kay I’m sorry about that, I was just kidding . Guess I’ve no sense of humour :|
Don't stress about it. I'm lacking humour lately.

I've gone through a lot in the last couple of years and the last couple of months have been quite stressful. Mostly of my own making... Changing jobs, finding a place to live, moving, etc...

The new job isn't helping either. I completely hit this project at the wrong time. It's a complete cluster F. I'm not enjoying it. Hopefully in a week or two time things will settle a bit but it's not looking that way.

Oh well.

Currently my thoughts are getting some new skills out of this and then bolting.

But we'll see.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm often startled by the level of trolls and bots on any article about 45.

Yes even here in Europe. They target all articles regardless what's written. Saying the same things all the time.

Unfortunately some people don't realise they're trolls and bots...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm often startled by the level of trolls and bots on any article about 45.

Yes even here in Europe. They target all articles regardless what's written. Saying the same things all the time.

Unfortunately some people don't realise they're trolls and bots...
To some, the president is a troll and or bot, so it sounds about right there...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Happy Galentine's Day (yesterday - and yes, that's a thing too) and happy Valentine's day today to all.

Thank you, I hope you have a happy Valentine's day too. Not doing any of that, but I'm looking forward to relaxing for the first time in nearly a week. I just need to figure out what I want to do first lol.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, I hope you have a happy Valentine's day too. Not doing any of that, but I'm looking forward to relaxing for the first time in nearly a week. I just need to figure out what I want to do first lol.
I'm semi surprised you didn't do the Galentine's Day stuffs...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm semi surprised you didn't do the Galentine's Day stuffs...
Sadly, none of my friends that are ladies try to plan this kind of thing really. If they might be into that, they are either married or in a relationship so they don't think about that.

There was a year where my really outgoing friend invited us (me and mutual friends in the group) to show that he appreciates our friendship.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb