WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I posted those last three videos because for years now I'm not a fan of the hype YouTube influencers use. While Ranjit has his flaws too, I think these style videos are more useful in navigating a very mature smartphone market these days. It's a great time to be a consumer and your really do your research and choose smartly, you don't have to give these OEMs a ton of your hard earned cash.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I posted those last three videos because for years now I'm not a fan of the hype YouTube influencers use. While Ranjit has his flaws too, I think these style videos are more useful in navigating a very mature smartphone market these days. It's a great time to be a consumer and your really do your research and choose smartly, you don't have to give these OEMs a ton of your hard earned cash.
To me, if you don't care about too much fluff, something like a Mi 9t is great value for money if you need a big screen and a big battery. You can pair that with a Fossil Gen 4 watch if you want something stylish as there are always sales to be had with them.

Or a Pixel 4 on sale works too for something compact if you can tolerate the battery performance. If you want to go big screen high end, a S10+ works. A mate 20 Pro still puts serious work in 2020. G8 works well as a compact alternative.

On the Android side, there are so many choices. That's why as much as I like the V50, it's not worth the hassle to get. Same for the Xperia 5. Hell, if I wasn't so impatient, I'd still be using the V35 happily and not tried a V40. Market is too mature to be wildly hopping around when smart choices can land you a quality handset you can use for a long while.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, none of my friends that are ladies try to plan this kind of thing really. If they might be into that, they are either married or in a relationship so they don't think about that.

There was a year where my really outgoing friend invited us (me and mutual friends in the group) to show that he appreciates our friendship.
Based on how Galentine's Day is designed of a dude is involved it doesn't compute...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Don't stress about it. I'm lacking humour lately.

I've gone through a lot in the last couple of years and the last couple of months have been quite stressful. Mostly of my own making... Changing jobs, finding a place to live, moving, etc...

The new job isn't helping either. I completely hit this project at the wrong time. It's a complete cluster F. I'm not enjoying it. Hopefully in a week or two time things will settle a bit but it's not looking that way.

Oh well.

Currently my thoughts are getting some new skills out of this and then bolting.

But we'll see.
Hmmmm...

One of my colleagues is going through something similar to this both on her side job and did so with her main job last year. It's so hard these days, especially as an older more accomplished worker where meaning is important.

It's one of the things I think about a lot as well. I would love to transition out into something else that's a bit more manageable for me to get me to my next stop. Much of those opportunities in the hospital don't open up much as people cling onto them a ton (and I still have to grind through not having the look of what management wants).

Ain't easy no matter what level one is at in its own way.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Other tech news, I'm satisfied with the new laptop. I need to undervolt it, as the so so battery life is a permanent sore spot. I'm also looking to get a USB-C fast charger as well. The generic standard cable has been great, but I'd rather use USB-C to smooth things out.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's so hard these days, especially as an older more accomplished worker where meaning is important.
There's 2 ways to go with this. Some of us older folks feel like we still have a contribution to offer so we take it in the ... just to "show" them. Me on the other hand don't have anything to prove. I've put my time in and as my boss told me the other day, how is it that more people know you outside the company than within. 35 years in the industry will do that. My wife is facing a similar "crisis" in that she's not working in the field she got her degree in at her age. That's all too common but I've tried to reassure her that at least she's in her industry. There's airline pilots selling furniture at Rooms To Go which is totally unacceptable.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
There's 2 ways to go with this. Some of us older folks feel like we still have a contribution to offer so we take it in the ... just to "show" them. Me on the other hand don't have anything to prove. I've put my time in and as my boss told me the other day, how is it that more people know you outside the company than within. 35 years in the industry will do that. My wife is facing a similar "crisis" in that she's not working in the field she got her degree in at her age. That's all too common but I've tried to reassure her that at least she's in her industry. There's airline pilots selling furniture at Rooms To Go which is totally unacceptable.
I agree. The mill is grinding harder and harder these days.

I wonder about how some of the youth will fare once they transition into some of the positions you, 99, Laura and Axim (I know yes already retired). Doesn't look too good, really.

There was a big study on working hard youth culture thst I posted here sometime last year. I think that the industrious American spirit ideal has been reinvented in so many times but at its core still takes advantage of the efforts of people on the come up.

I'll only speak of me and state that I have a plan navigate the slough that is my industry. It doesn't make the grind easier as I move towards what I want.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So the side stuffs for the Nokia should be here today. I will likely get another slimmer case that better protects the camera array but I will use this Tudia in the interim. Due to activities below, it should be a nice opportunity to test out the device.

I got her Mexican last night and for the official Valentine's day outing, we go for bowling and Senegalese dinner afterwards tomorrow. It was too cold and I didn't want to get caught up in the hype of the day.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This place will remain a ghost forum for how long? Hardly any activity lately. It is sad to see it this way from what I remember about 2 years ago even as Windows phones were going extinct. Not much for consumers to talk it up about these days though in the Microsoft realm, as even Windows Central is filled with iPhone and Android device talk these days. Does this at all affect the Mobile nations group or Windows Central pages as a whole? I was worried for a while there, thinking they might pause or shut down this particular forum site...or maybe it is just me, all in my head? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
This place will remain a ghost forum for how long? Hardly any activity lately. It is sad to see it this way from what I remember about 2 years ago even as Windows phones were going extinct. Not much for consumers to talk it up about these days though in the Microsoft realm, as even Windows Central is filled with iPhone and Android device talk these days. Does this at all affect the Mobile nations group or Windows Central pages as a whole? I was worried for a while there, thinking they might pause or shut down this particular forum site...or maybe it is just me, all in my head? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think that it shouldn't be a surprise as to how things have changed here. Once MSFT pulled the plug on mobile, it got harder to discuss the rest of the Windows ecosystem. I'd love to have seen Microsoft inspired ROM on a device...maybe in a Chinese style one where you can uninstall nearly all of the Google apps. Maybe with a Lumia-esque camera app to the chagrin of HMD global.

But I think that MSFT got tired of the hardware game, and decided a ROM on a phone wasn't worth it.

While there are some nice things happening in the ultra book and X Box lanes, it's not as sexy as mobile.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Watching Love is Blind because some people on my social media are talking about it. It kinda makes me want to try a blind date, provided the base things are there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte