WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That looks like a great place. I would really enjoy seeing the non-touristy places even as a tourist. Excellent photos too.
In Paris the majority of the tourist places are in the first 7 arrondissements. Which basically means the centre of the city. Most people don't leave this area when they visit because they're typically here for a short time.

I may have mentioned this already but the arrondissements start in the centre and spiral out in a clockwise rotation.

The inner ones are a bit small and others get bigger as you go out. The border of Paris is the Periphique which is a 8 lane road that circles traditional Paris.

Typically once you're away from the first 7 arrondissements you're in 'real' Paris but again depending on neighbourhood. Some are more affluent than others. Though keeping mind 'normal' people live all over Paris. You don't necessarily have to be rich to live in the popular first 7 arrondissements.

The place I mentioned, Saint Denis is in the 10th arrondissement near Gare du Nord which is where the Eurostar from London comes in.

If you watched the movie Amelie the the canal she lives near is just east of that, Canal du Saint Martin.

The 9th and 10th are up and coming areas. Saint Denis is an interesting spot as it has a very eclectic and diverse group of people and simply by street the feeling changes and the hustle is different.

I think eventually this area will change but probably another 5 - 10 years.

I've been meaning to do a tips post on here for anyone planning to visit Paris and France...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been meaning to do a tips post on here for anyone planning to visit Paris and France...

That sounds great! That would be very helpful to anyone, including me, who hasn't yet been to Paris.

I didn't know about the circular neighbourhood designations. That makes sense, similar to the boroughs of NYC, with Manhattan being the business centre, and the outer boroughs having more of an interesting character.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That sounds great! That would be very helpful to anyone, including me, who hasn't yet been to Paris.

I didn't know about the circular neighbourhood designations. That makes sense, similar to the boroughs of NYC, with Manhattan being the business centre, and the outer boroughs having more of an interesting character.
There's 20 arrondissements in Paris and districts or neighbourhoods in them.

20th is fairly large in comparison to 1-4.

Ile de City is where Paris began and it sits in the River Seine, it's in 1 and edges 4 (it's a bit confusing). It's one of the few areas of Paris left mostly untouched by Haussmann when he rebuilt Paris with the large boulevards it's known for. The other area mostly untouched is Le Marais which straddles 3&4.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Xperia 1 Mark 2 looks...interesting. Likely expensive as all hell, but looks interesting.
Agree. I do wonder how much it will cost.

Interesting they're bringing back the 3.5mm jack. All they need to do now is have the power button fingerprint scanner...

Not sure about the camera though. I'll have to see what they're up to. Seems a bit slack to go with 3x12Mp again. 3X zoom is interesting as well.

They need to nail the camera though. They're losing because of this, aside from price tag that's is... Who knows they may come in cheaper than the Samsung... If they're smart.

I'll await the official release.

Not upgrading though. 5G is fairly useless here atm.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Agree. I do wonder how much it will cost.

Interesting they're bringing back the 3.5mm jack. All they need to do now is have the power button fingerprint scanner...

Not sure about the camera though. I'll have to see what they're up to. Seems a bit slack to go with 3x12Mp again. 3X zoom is interesting as well.

They need to nail the camera though. They're losing because of this, aside from price tag that's is... Who knows they may come in cheaper than the Samsung... If they're smart.

I'll await the official release.

Not upgrading though. 5G is fairly useless here atm.
I think it is smart of Sony to shoot for that Pro Creator space that LG has been kinda in with the V series. In fact, I'd love to see Sony vs LG for tools for content creators vs going after Samsung, Google and Apple. It makes sense to bring back the 3.5mm for better external accessories support, especially if they're leaning into closer ties with the camera department.

I don't think they need to nail the camera in auto mode. They need to get closer though and if the pro stuff is strong, they'll get a few sales. Not sure if they will do a 5G for Europe model. I'm more curious what they plan to do with the Xperia 5 follow up...how much of this kit will they downsize into a smaller model?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it is smart of Sony to shoot for that Pro Creator space that LG has been kinda in with the V series. In fact, I'd love to see Sony vs LG for tools for content creators vs going after Samsung, Google and Apple. It makes sense to bring back the 3.5mm for better external accessories support, especially if they're leaning into closer ties with the camera department.

I don't think they need to nail the camera in auto mode. They need to get closer though and if the pro stuff is strong, they'll get a few sales. Not sure if they will do a 5G for Europe model. I'm more curious what they plan to do with the Xperia 5 follow up...how much of this kit will they downsize into a smaller model?
That's an interesting angle.

If they're going after creators they really need to fix CameraPro. It's a confusing mess and not really set up for creating. Though maybe an update is coming. Maybe we'll see better camera control too. There's a few things that needed fixing. In both modes. The video issue with overheating is still there too.

Interesting they're going with a Zeiss lens.

Curious to see the official release info though. I just wish the leaks would stop. It may not give full detail of everything but it kills what little excitement there is these days.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

If they're bringing out a 5 then I'll assume it will be the same in my opinion.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
5G is coming to France but not at the speed of everywhere else. I haven't checked recently on it's release date.

I think 5G is interesting but I think it will have a lot of people upset about it though.

That's my personal opinion.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

If they're going after creators they really need to fix CameraPro. It's a confusing mess and not really set up for creating. Though maybe an update is coming. Maybe we'll see better camera control too. There's a few things that needed fixing. In both modes. The video issue with overheating is still there too.

Curious to see the official release info though. I just wish the leaks would stop. It may not give full detail of everything but it kills what little excitement there is these days.
I thought they officially announced it today!?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

To me, a V series in the right hands over the past few years did some stellar work for creators. There is a market there, even as scruffy as YouTube is these days. So I think Sony can make a case if people want more "cinematic work" vs "casual YouTube style" from LG. I think Apple is also lying to people with the iPhone 11 Pro that can do "cinematic work" but you need Filmic pro and some other crap to make that happen.

So there is a lane. Will LG and Sony fully seize it? They should as their other businesses have been propping them up for years as they have bleed money as fast as this President has turned over cabinet members.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm feeling like I'm struggling to catch up with what I watch. The readings for one of my classes is something else. I'm feeling like I'm still trying to get the groove of it and life. If I was only taking this class, it would be easier to be on top of it.

I hate when shows are 2 hours, as falling behind with one of those makes it harder for me to try to keep up with it. That might be the show to let go and watch when I can at some point.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
At the same time, I also would like to try different social things. Some of the things that interest me on campus conflict with class or I would have to use time (from work) to go and I'll rather not. Luckily, I am finally doing something this week which I'm looking forward to. I also kind of wish I was closer to campus sometimes.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
At the same time, I also would like to try different social things. Some of the things that interest me on campus conflict with class or I would have to use time (from work) to go and I'll rather not. Luckily, I am finally doing something this week which I'm looking forward to. I also kind of wish I was closer to campus sometimes.

I'm aware that I don't have time to try everything anyway but it would be nice to try something before I graduate.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I thought they officially announced it today!?
First thing I found about it was the leak... I didn't look at the date.

So it has a new camera pro app as well. Interesting.

Unfortunately all the articles say the same thing and no one seems to have touched the phone.

So that's a bit of a downer. I'll see if there's a video to watch.

Also curious to know if that camera pro app will be released for my phone. I'm not sure if the video app update made its way to me yet.

It has a lot of good features just not sure they hit the mark with the camera considering all the other tech out there.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
First thing I found about it was the leak... I didn't look at the date.

So it has a new camera pro app as well. Interesting.

Unfortunately all the articles say the same thing and no one seems to have touched the phone.

So that's a bit of a downer. I'll see if there's a video to watch.

Also curious to know if that camera pro so will be released for my phone. I'm not sure if the video app update made its way to me yet.

It has a lot of good features just not sure they hit the mark with the camera considering all the other tech out there.
Well, they're not going to jump into the periscope route just yet...and I don't think that they should. I'm curious how they plan to coax better performance out of still not using a sub 2.0 aperture lens.

Everyone is playing catchup to Huawei in the stills game for the zoom. Again, I don't think they're that far off if they can make a case to a target audience. Looking forward to Juan Bagnell reviewing the V60 and the Mark II.

I'd love if they can port some of these back to the Xperia 5 and 1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky