WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So based on a convo with Donny John's nephew a few days ago I looked up what would be a reasonable alternative to a Note FE and came up with a surprise winner. I wanted a 16:9 display (large-ish), front facing FPS, a good camera and decent battery life. All this for well under $300 of course. As much as the learning curve with EMUI is I got a Mate 10 (non Pro). I had a Mate 9 a couple of years ago so I knew what the Kirin chips were like and the Leica cameras. I also remember very good T-Mobile connection and good battery life. I still don't like EMUI but if I could get used to iOS I think I can give this a chance. I'm so over skinny phones, I want my Passport back.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So based on a convo with Donny John's nephew a few days ago I looked up what would be a reasonable alternative to a Note FE and came up with a surprise winner. I wanted a 16:9 display (large-ish), front facing FPS, a good camera and decent battery life. All this for well under $300 of course. As much as the learning curve with EMUI is I got a Mate 10 (non Pro). I had a Mate 9 a couple of years ago so I knew what the Kirin chips were like and the Leica cameras. I also remember very good T-Mobile connection and good battery life. I still don't like EMUI but if I could get used to iOS I think I can give this a chance. I'm so over skinny phones, I want my Passport back.
No comment on the nephew reference.

A Mate 10 is a very nice choice. EMUI is still the same as you left it from your Mate 9. It should haven gotten Android 10 too by now.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
So far first day of working from home has been ok.

Can't say it's great but ok.

I'm setup on the dining table so can relate to anyone else in this situation...

Using one monitor sucks.

So in my parallel universe I can relate. We recently moved about four miles from the neighborhoods of my last four residences and 35 years of my life. It’s the same area but I went from 1/4-1/2 acre suburban ranch style to semi-urban three story condominium. Add that nothing is setup, the wife and I are used to being together but we did this for our last two daughters for their high school years. Vertical space is not the same as horizontal space.

I’m laughing because now I feel all your pain of your move and your frustrations at the upheaval... laugh I say!!!! Laugh at me now.... thanks for reminding me, that all of us, regardless of location, politics, economic system and/or economic situation are experiencing similar life as we all seem to forget....

Laugh some more.... it’s free, no cost, as I climb these effing stairs, I’m doing a days cardio every freaking hour.....

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No comment on the nephew reference.

A Mate 10 is a very nice choice. EMUI is still the same as you left it from your Mate 9. It should haven gotten Android 10 too by now.

I'm in no hurry for 10, it's not all that as I learned from the Note 9 and Pixel 4 XL experience. According to Huawei it's supposed to be in March but with all the Covid-19 stuff I'm not so sure.

On a separate note, I picked up today a BNIB 46mm Galaxy Watch since the Fitbit is on the fritz. I thought it was the Samsung being a pain with bluetooth but it was worse with the Mate. The Ionic I had in the drawer is exhibiting the same connection issues so it must be broken Fitbit app update. You're right, it beats the ever loving dogs**t out of the Fossil.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm in no hurry for 10, it's not all that as I learned from the Note 9 and Pixel 4 XL experience. According to Huawei it's supposed to be in March but with all the Covid-19 stuff I'm not so sure.

On a separate note, I picked up today a BNIB 46mm Galaxy Watch since the Fitbit is on the fritz. I thought it was the Samsung being a pain with bluetooth but it was worse with the Mate. The Ionic I had in the drawer is exhibiting the same connection issues so it must be broken Fitbit app update. You're right, it beats the ever loving dogs**t out of the Fossil.
I've been had access to 10 update for my Mate 20 Pro and haven't taken it because of how not so nice the Galaxy watch has played with 10 based devices. The S3 classic paired nicely with the 9 Pureview though, so I'm hopeful it will get sorted out eventually.

By the way, if you want some watchband suggestions, just say the word.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
When taking CAD/CAM course, I thought most of it was going to be drawing in CAD, making 3D models, building projects etc. But nope. We're doing ancient languages programming. Like LISP and Visual Basic. It's so frustrating.

Eat up while you can. LISP python some java and others are like the core for AI front end advancement. Even though you are in CAD (not sure of your profession) having insight or understanding of how things work beyond what you actually do that is in front of you pays dividends in the end.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Not at that $1200+ tax price.

Yes, totally understand. These things cost fortune. And at that price they are making more than enough. All companies are since they went beyond the 1k price tag. I still like that they brought back the old iphone 5 frame style. I bet others follow suit....

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, totally understand. These things cost fortune. And at that price they are making more than enough. All companies are since they went beyond the 1k price tag. I still like that they brought back the old iphone 5 frame style. I bet others follow suit....
It's Sony. They were always overpriced.

If I were looking at these two, I'm asking to bypass the cheaper, bigger phone with better audio, and battery life (V60 - $799 phone only) for a slimmer, higher res screen and maybe slighter better software updates (Xperia 1 II for $1200)?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It's Sony. They were always overpriced.

If I were looking at these two, I'm asking to bypass the cheaper, bigger phone with better audio, and battery life (V60 - $799 phone only) for a slimmer, higher res screen and maybe slighter better software updates (Xperia 1 II for $1200)?
Well if you can handle a notch/hole in the screen go for it. I'd rather have an LG over a Sony but the design on the Xperia is what caught my eye mainly. Lately I've been wanting to try newer phones to find a keeper but they either cost too much or have a notch/hole punch. Anything above 200 is pushing it for me and ain't worth it in the end. If I'm not gonna make money off it with my photo expertise or do some crazy video that sells on YouTube then I don't need to waste the time or money. I can't justify paying that much more for anything to just sit on my couch with it and watch Netflix lol.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Even though the predictable drop in phone sales occurred it was not enough to scare the makers yet. However in the next 6-12 months and as these next devices get released with the 8nm SD700 series chips, I suspect a bigger shift. Plus with the current crisis world wide. I wish people would have stopped buying the 1000 dollar phones already like 2 years ago though....

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Well if you can handle a notch/hole in the screen go for it. I'd rather have an LG over a Sony but the design on the Xperia is what caught my eye mainly. Lately I've been wanting to try newer phones to find a keeper but they either cost too much or have a notch/hole punch. Anything above 200 is pushing it for me and ain't worth it in the end. If I'm not gonna make money off it with my photo expertise or do some crazy video that sells on YouTube then I don't need to waste the time or money. I can't justify paying that much more for anything to just sit on my couch with it and watch Netflix lol.
Xiaomi Mi 9, Huawei Mate 20 Pro, LG G7+ and LG V40. All have notches - and all are devices I currently own.

Not saying I would buy either device. Just saying if I were looking to buy a bigger handset and these two were on the short list, I'd go with the LG. Sony's current aesthetics aren't worth the $400 difference to me.

For pricing references, I can get a Pixel 3A/Mi 9T + V60 for the same price as a Xperia 1 II - likely included taxes all around. To drive the point home further, I can get a Pixel 3A + Mi 9T pro for the price of a Xperia 1, again taxes included. Or if you really want me to go "99 hustle" , I could get an unlocked G8 (refurbished) + Mi 9T (new) + Pixel 3A (new) for the cost of a new Xperia 1 - taxes included.

As much as I like Sony, their pricing scheme has been off from as long as they've been restructuring the mobile division - 10 years and counting.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Xiaomi Mi 9, Huawei Mate 20 Pro, LG G7+ and LG V40. All have notches - and all are devices I currently own.

Not saying I would buy either device. Just saying if I were looking to buy a bigger handset and these two were on the short list, I'd go with the LG. Sony's current aesthetics aren't worth the $400 difference to me.

For pricing references, I can get a Pixel 3A/Mi 9T + V60 for the same price as a Xperia 1 II - likely included taxes all around. To drive the point home further, I can get a Pixel 3A + Mi 9T pro for the price of a Xperia 1, again taxes included. Or if you really want me to go "99 hustle" , I could get an unlocked G8 (refurbished) + Mi 9T (new) + Pixel 3A (new) for the cost of a new Xperia 1 - taxes included.

As much as I like Sony, their pricing scheme has been off from as long as they've been restructuring the mobile division - 10 years and counting.
That's what happens when they start to die off. Remember how ridiculous priced the HTC models were before 2019.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My current lineup is Pixel 3a, OnePlus 7T, Grey S20 and Blue S20 and Oppo Reno 2.

Need to unload a few devices but just been too busy at work to find time. Plus I really don't want to go to the FedEx office right now.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's what happens when they start to die off. Remember how ridiculous priced the HTC models were before 2019.
People were and are still willing to pay. HTC's stopped offering good value for money and 2015 really ruined them. There will always be people willing to pay. What's happened now is that technology has become more ubiquitous and cheaper. Devices like the Mi 9T and Pixel 3A show that you really don't need to go north of $400 for a solid experience. We have 2016 to thank for that when the Axon 7, Honor 8, Idol 4S, Xiaomi Mi 5 and Oneplus 3 were killing that budget flagship segment.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My current lineup is Pixel 3a, OnePlus 7T, Grey S20 and Blue S20 and Oppo Reno 2.

Need to unload a few devices but just been too busy at work to find time. Plus I really don't want to go to the FedEx office right now.
Only thing there that's really interesting there is the Reno 2. I predict you'll be down to the Pixel and a S20 by memorial day.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If I were a consumer that needed a big screen exotic, I'd get a Reno 2. I know I'll get solid radios, headphone jack, solid cameras, fast charging prowess, expandable storage and good battery life with an all screen design.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss