WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So here's on of the ways the government royally ****ed us over with COVID-19.

Any one of the regulars here knows how I feel about the MTA. It is the backbone of a world class city that has been colossally historically mismanaged. It now unfortunately depends on people buying fares to keep a lot of stuff running. So the MTA has to keep running during the COVID-19 outbreak. But here is the problem, with most of the paying ridership forced to stay home, there is no money coming in. So of course they cut back services. Last time I checked in this pandemic, less trains with longer wait times means you're concentrating more people on trains, which makes social distancing less helpful.

I saw that today, where honestly, it felt like midday level traffic during rush hour - seats where mostly full with a few people standing by the doors. I felt like of all the points in the day, being on the train put me the most at risk.

I wish the government would have said "run the trains as normal, people's health, especially those first responders and those connected to essential services are worth the cost". What it tells me is that they're willing to take the risk and pay for it another way.

That's the ****ed up 'Murican logic that's led to this show handling of the epidemic.View attachment 142029
It's not just me. And notice I purposely left out the ethnicity issue as there are some readers here who have the viewpoint that I am too quick to bring that piece in.

On the train I ride, it has always had this look every since I've been here:

At the start in BK, it's very brown. Starting from downtown BK up to the Upper East Side, it looks very diverse, with a lot more people who look like Laura. Once you hit Harlem and on into the BX, it looks mostly brown again.

Yesterday, it was almost all brown all the way. So it irks people the choice of the MTA to cut service.

https://gothamist.com/news/subway-bus-coronavirus-covid-19-crowded-mta

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's not just me. And notice I purposely left out the ethnicity issue as there are some readers here who have the viewpoint that I am too quick to bring that piece in.

At the start in BK, it's very brown. Starting from downtown BK up to the Upper East Side, it looks very diverse, with a lot more people who look like Laura. Once you hit Harlem and on into the BX, it looks mostly brown again.

Yesterday, it was almost all brown all the way. So it irks people the choice of the MTA to cut service.

From what you have shared, it seems like they somehow think that essential workers will "float" to work. Cutting service is a contradiction to social distancing... It doesn't make sense to do this if you don't have other options to do what you need to do.

Edit: I regret starting to read the comments in the linked article. Some made sense but the others just went downhill.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
From what you have shared, it seems like they somehow think that essential workers will "float" to work. Cutting service is a contradiction to social distancing... It doesn't make sense to do this if you don't have other options to do what you need to do.

Edit: I regret starting to read the comments in the linked article. Some made sense but the others just went downhill.
The issue is moreso a lack of leadership on the federal level. The governor should have had the leeway to tell the MTA in confidence to run the trains as normal. He cannot do that because the system has been a money pit in terms of mismanagement. Lots of stuff economically has been crippled due to COVID-19 and there's some things that won't get paid for with the economy closed.

The MTA shouldn't have to be one of them. This shows how much new york is viewed across the country, really. Most of that isn't good.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Bringing up the ethnicity issue is being redundant. It exists whether or not one chooses to ignore it. The privileged class is under the mistaken impression that because we’re not out there protesting against inequality every single day then it must not be a problem anymore. I wish I had such rose-colored lenses.

It reminds me of an old saying that when my neighbor loses his job it’s a recession. But when I lose my job, it’s a depression.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Bringing up the ethnicity issue is being redundant. It exists whether or not one chooses to ignore it. The privileged class is under the mistaken impression that because we’re not out there protesting against inequality every single day then it must not be a problem anymore. I wish I had such rose-colored lenses.

It reminds me of an old saying that when my neighbor loses his job it’s a recession. But when I lose my job, it’s a depression.
It's only redundant, to me at least, to those of us who are always in the cut, active aware of and dealing with the issues directly on various ways. You're right about the perception of the privilege, and it is because they are privileged where they can choose to be aware or not of these issues.

I've always seen many of the levels in NYC. Not everyone's NYC is the same, and even in this pandemic not a lot of people here much less outside the city fully grasp that.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
So this last couple of weeks I've been having a one coffee a day, a cappuccino. At work I have two to three, which are long shots.

For those who don't know I own a home version of a espresso machine. It's a level down from a professional one but it's not a cheapy.

Anyway, like all these types of machines it has a water reservoir at the back that constantly needs filling.

Well, the other day the handle dislodged and the whole thing, filled with water, landed on my big toe.

Yes it hurt. There's about 2L of water in this thing when filled. Which for you maths people, about 2kg of weight.

Now two things about this.

One is thankfully I broke it's falls and nothing broke on the reservoir. Two is the spot it landed on my toe, though painful, lasted only a day and nothing is broke or bruised but it did some damage to my nail.

I'm perfectly fine and I'm walking normal.

So now I fill it with a bottle... It only takes one time for me to learn not to do something again...

If it was really dense, then it could have been more than 2kg😄.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes I own a farm still. Near Bordeaux.

Unfortunately finances got tight and an opportunity to work came around so here I am in Paris.

Building works are pretty expensive here. Unfortunately moving here took finances was well. So we're just getting back to where we were when we left the farm.

It helps when your mortgage is tiny and you have no debt at all.

You already know what I'm going to ask you, is Paris overrated as a tourist destination? I've been seeing alot of hate lately, if you can call it so, towards the Paris people, rather than the city itself.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Curious to know what you're doing.

This was the first assignment, we had to draw this using command prompt and the whole outer bounds had to be one closed PLINE. This was easy to do.
cad1.png

Second one was LISP, I failed it miserably. The code draws the picture on the left, we had to change it so it will draw the picture on the right.
cad2.png

And third, the VBA one. The shape depends of the "N" which user inputs.
cad3.png

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting really tired with the "It's just a plain flu", "More people die from x, y... on a yearly basis". Or the one that seems popular in my country: "Almost no one is dying and we have so few infected, why are we isolated, this is all a scam." Like, why aren't you happy that the protection measures are working, wtf?

People are more welcoming of conspiracy theories and theorists than actual freaking scientist.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting really tired with the "It's just a plain flu", "More people die from x, y... on a yearly basis". Or the one that seems popular in my country: "Almost no one is dying and we have so few infected, why are we isolated, this is all a scam." Like, why aren't you happy that the protection measures are working, wtf?

People are more welcoming of conspiracy theories and theorists than actual freaking scientist.

Did you just move to the US?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss