WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes I own a farm still. Near Bordeaux.

Unfortunately finances got tight and an opportunity to work came around so here I am in Paris.

Building works are pretty expensive here. Unfortunately moving here took finances was well. So we're just getting back to where we were when we left the farm.

It helps when your mortgage is tiny and you have no debt at all.
I visited the farm just twice in the past three months.. Its sad to see the weeds returning. We had a dry spell, so the fruit setting period was badly affected. Don't expect any fruits this season... We have limes, mangosteen, rambutans, durian, jackfruit and lansium. It's a small piece of land, so we don't have any worker or anyone to stay and work the farm. It's depressing.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
307f82557fd418b56ecfd201688d9f18.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You already know what I'm going to ask you, is Paris overrated as a tourist destination? I've been seeing alot of hate lately, if you can call it so, towards the Paris people, rather than the city itself.
I'll put it this way. I've never had issues in Paris with people. I won't say every occasion is perfect but usually have no problems.

The issue 99% of the time is people come to Paris thinking it's an amusement park or big museum forgetting that it's an actual city where people live and work. Being in a city people are in hurry, like every other city.

And they don't know the simple basic aspects of French etiquette.
Say hello when you enter a shop, say good bye when you leave (preferably in French). Not doing these two simple things gives people the impression that French people are rude because French people think you're being rude.

Now for the city itself. It can be disappointing. It's a bit dirty. Bit smelly. Lots of tourists... But overall still a great place to see and be in.

You just need to go with the right attitude and you'll enjoy yourself.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Say hello when you enter a shop, say good bye when you leave (preferably in French). Not doing these two simple things gives people the impression that French people are rude because French people think you're being rude.

That's interesting, and I did not know this. I typically don't say anything when entering or leaving shops unless I'm spoken to by employees of the shops. Otherwise I simply go about my business.

Typically, most shop employees in the USA ask, "May I help you?", and my response is, "No, thanks. I'm just looking".

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting, and I did not know this. I typically don't say anything when entering or leaving shops unless I'm spoken to by employees of the shops. Otherwise I simply go about my business.

Typically, most shop employees in the USA ask, "May I help you?", and my response is, "No, thanks. I'm just looking".
When I say shops I'm referring to small shops here, which are plenty. Typically they will say 'hi' first then just reply. Larger shops would be when you meet an employee.

Still the etiquette is the same. To the French being polite is important.

Also if you're learning French, know that TU (usually You singular) is informal and VOUS (usually You plural) is formal when addressing people. You don't TU a stranger. That would really get them upset.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This was the first assignment, we had to draw this using command prompt and the whole outer bounds had to be one closed PLINE. This was easy to do.
View attachment 142033

Second one was LISP, I failed it miserably. The code draws the picture on the left, we had to change it so it will draw the picture on the right.
View attachment 142034

And third, the VBA one. The shape depends of the "N" which user inputs.
View attachment 142035
That's interesting. I understand the exercises.

The PLine one is amusing though. Not sure how you drew it but I would probably done it without using PLine...

All this talk of automation of AutoCAD made me realise something. Though I'm no fan of overly automating AutoCAD because you run into issues if the person ever leaves. However I believe in standards and automating to some degree, if AutoCAD is going to be your tool. Might as well make it efficient.

The current company I work for has zero automation. The person I replaced was the guy who set all the standards. However, he used AutoCAD like a drafting board.

There's a lot of things he did that has driven me nuts but by far the biggest is the lack of automation in AutoCAD. It makes it highly inefficient.

My goal is to move into 3D. We use E3D so plan is to get the electrical department onboard.

The guy I replaced was dead set against 3D. He just was used to doing things his way. Which is fine but didn't mean it was efficient or easily transferable. Leaning curve has been huge.

Last edited:

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
You mean where you are have always been infected with severe "foot in mouth" and "stuck on stupid" disease? And here I though that was only a chronic 'Murican condition.

Exactly. Well, the thing I realised is, it's pretty much the same everywhere in the world, except for few countries. It's just a different scale. Our prime minister can screw us and the region up (and that wouldn't be anything to write home about, we've had wars here every 50 years or so, so we're almost due to another one), but US president can screw the whole world up.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'll put it this way. I've never had issues in Paris with people. I won't say every occasion is perfect but usually have no problems.

The issue 99% of the time is people come to Paris thinking it's an amusement park or big museum forgetting that it's an actual city where people live and work. Being in a city people are in hurry, like every other city.

Now for the city itself. It can be disappointing. It's a bit dirty. Bit smelly. Lots of tourists... But overall still a great place to see and be in.

You just need to go with the right attitude and you'll enjoy yourself.
So people get a bit overhyped. As far as saying hello when entering shops, I thought that was a common knowledge, at least when the shop is like, smaller.

I'd like to visit Paris one day, not for the tower though, I'm more for old architecture and visiting Louvre.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When I say shops I'm referring to small shops here, which are plenty. Typically they will say 'hi' first then just reply. Larger shops would be when you meet an employee.

Still the etiquette is the same. To the French being polite is important.

Also if you're learning French, know that TU (usually You singular) is informal and VOUS (usually You plural) is formal when addressing people. You don't TU a stranger. That would really get them upset.

Interesting but not unexpected since they are Romance languages but Spanish is the same. Tu is quite informal and acceptable among friends and acquaintances. For strangers and elders that’s where “usted” comes in. You say tu to your dad and you guaranteed yourself a fat lip and a trip to the dentist. Painful lessons I must say.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So people get a bit overhyped. As far as saying hello when entering shops, I thought that was a common knowledge, at least when the shop is like, smaller.

I'd like to visit Paris one day, not for the tower though, I'm more for old architecture and visiting Louvre.
I see the tower everyday and never tire of it. It's most impressive when seen close up.

As for going up the tower. I see that as pointless but understand if people want to do it. There's lots of better views with the tower in it.

I love the old buildings. If you're into architecture it's a place to visit.

The Louvre is way too big but still pretty amazing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Interesting but not unexpected since they are Romance languages but Spanish is the same. Tu is quite informal and acceptable among friends and acquaintances. For strangers and elders that’s where “usted” comes in. You say tu to your dad and you guaranteed yourself a fat lip and a trip to the dentist. Painful lessons I must say.
Latin languages. Italian is the closest to the original.

All the others have been inflicted with other languages. You would be able to pick up French fairly quick.

I think French is the same with respect to the elders. Not entirely sure about parents.

English is a mixed up language.

Even though English has a lot of French words in it, it doesn't help that much. If you don't pronounce it right most people just stare at you. Also not all words that are the same in English mean the same in French.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think if some people can afford to, they might choose to change their living space after this.

I watched a video of a guy a few weeks ago who toured a tiny apartment in Manhattan, NYC that is very narrow, has a raised bed, a sink, small fridge and microwave with a shared bathroom. I was able to find video, thankfully: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPGiPCj-wHo

In the video, the guy said that this is a place for those who are more about not spending time inside the apartment. How are those people doing now is something I wonder? I feel like MIA would say that this is a different NYC than the one he knows.

This time is showing a lot of holes in various things that we might think about but brush to the side. This kind of thing is such an example.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
As for me, I figured that wherever I end up living, I have to be able to afford and live in it (as in, will I be able to stand being here). I'm fortunate to be OK in this time. The market is still hot in my area, but due to what I see, it's looking like I'll have to adjust my timeline by months maybe. I had ideas of how it could look like after I finish school at least a month ago but I guess I can only wait, see and prepare.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think if some people can afford to, they might choose to change their living space after this.

I watched a video of a guy a few weeks ago who toured a tiny apartment in Manhattan, NYC that is very narrow, has a raised bed, a sink, small fridge and microwave with a shared bathroom. I was able to find video, thankfully: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPGiPCj-wHo

In the video, the guy said that this is a place for those who are more about not spending time inside the apartment. How are those people doing now is something I wonder? I feel like MIA would say that this is a different NYC than the one he knows.

This time is showing a lot of holes in various things that we might think about but brush to the side. This kind of thing is such an example.
Oh, I know about those micro apartments. People in them are feeling the pinch because of COVID-19.

Before you got here there was an ex coworker of mine from Dallas who wanted the nightlife experience. She paid $1100 for a room in the Village that was half hour away from work. Always late to work, always out partying. That worked for her ad she never planned to stay in NYC long term - she went back to Dallas, got married and all that. I preferred to pay that for a full apartment in the BX that may give me an 75 minute commute.

People's priorities are different. Anyone living in these micro apartments are gonna rough it out now - literally.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Oh, I know about those micro apartments. People in them are feeling the pinch because of COVID-19.

Before you got here there was an ex coworker of mine from Dallas who wanted the nightlife experience. She paid $1100 for a room in the Village that was half hour away from work. Always late to work, always out partying. That worked for her ad she never planned to stay in NYC long term - she went back to Dallas, got married and all that. I preferred to pay that for a full apartment in the BX that may give me an 75 minute commute.

People's priorities are different. Anyone living in these micro apartments are gonna rough it out now - literally.

I believe that they are. I can't even imagine but I would like to read about that experience or even watch a YouTube video about it lol.

That's really interesting that you knew someone who did that. You're right about it working for some. I would probably do the same as you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)