WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ibid. The US permanent residency game here ain't no joke. Even the government knows it happens and is on the lookout for it. I'd go into details here, but hey, gotta leave SOME things offline...
Not sure about the USA but in most other countries a minimum of six months but a preference is a year in a committed relationship is required just to get residency.

When I got my residency in Australia I got interviewed, we had provided the proof already. (They kept the nice binder we gave them ) There was a couple beside us (weird they didn't have offices) that got denied.

They were together supposedly for six months. The officer felt there just wasn't enough proof of a committed relationship.

It wasn't cheap getting residency in Australia. It's ridiculously expensive now though.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the USA but in most other countries a minimum of six months but a preference is a year in a committed relationship is required just to get residency.

When I got my residency in Australia I got interviewed, we had provided the proof already. (They kept the nice binder we gave them ) There was a couple beside us (weird they didn't have offices) that got denied.

They were together supposedly for six months. The officer felt there just wasn't enough proof of a committed relationship.

It wasn't cheap getting residency in Australia. It's ridiculously expensive now though.
Need a few years of that in the US. Interviews are multiple and designed to screen out the "hustlers". If caught, jail and deportation - if memory serves me right.

It is bonkers expensive here too.

Still can be done, and I've seen it.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Well it happened, as expected... the mass exodus from the cities to cities/towns/villages has begun. It happens every Eid al-Fitr at the end of Ramadan.
Even with pleas not to travel from Director of Health, the one person in the country, everyone looks up and respect. Even with road blocks, ban on inter-state crossing and fines of a 1000 bucks fines... The highways are packed,.. herd stupidity on the move.

There were talks about a police hour after 15:00 here, during the first day of Eid. Not sure if it's really going to happen.

At least 20% (trust me, it's even more, just don't want to sound ridiculous) of our populations wasn't able to come back from Europe, so streets shouldn't be as packed as they used to.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't recall the first time I heard the term buy a bride, but it was a long time ago.

For a lot of westerns, Russian brides were, probably still are, favoured.

Though now the market is everywhere in low income countries across the world. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's in every country.

It's easy to paint these women as gold diggers but the majority just want a better life than the one they have.

Some are after citizenship in another country only and do what it takes to get it, then divorce. Lots of stories, rumours about that. Others want the rich guy. Others want both so they have some money when they divorce. Some actually work out.

Then there are the guys who like this idea... Some are nice, some are not. Some just want eye candy or a baby producing machine. Some want a slave or think that's what the bought...

Nothing is black and white.

It's vastly more complicated.

It all depends really.

There's lots of scams out there of course.

I kept it simple, but that's pretty much the case.

Now, I'm not sure how accurate or true this is, and it's been a long time since, but there was an Al Jazeera documentary about Albanian brides being, well, literally sold to Serbia. It was made a bit more 'humane', but I can't see how much better they can portay such an act.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
A crafty v-a-g-i-n-a venture capitalist strives to be very selective in the potential portfolios of the investors she tries to recruit...

There was this girl who used to work with my mom, she's a year or two younger than me.
Anyway, whenever I'd come to pick up my mom from work, somehow, misteriously, she'd show up there, all cheerful and offering to help my mom with her stuff, and of course continuously smiling to my direction.

It was nothing special. She'd do that for any guy that she think might have a thicker wallet.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My sister-in-law is a b**ch. Her picture should be in the dictionary.

Perfect match for my A-hole of a brother.

It's the pure ignorance of it that gets me. Too many American movies I think...

There's so many people who think just marrying someone gives them citizenship. If only it was that easy.
I can't believe she thought that. So dumb

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Need a few years of that in the US. Interviews are multiple and designed to screen out the "hustlers". If caught, jail and deportation - if memory serves me right.

It is bonkers expensive here too.

Still can be done, and I've seen it.

Yep. From what I last heard, it's still a thing that some try to do.

It seems to take a lot all around.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
There was this girl who used to work with my mom, she's a year or two younger than me.
Anyway, whenever I'd come to pick up my mom from work, somehow, misteriously, she'd show up there, all cheerful and offering to help my mom with her stuff, and of course continuously smiling to my direction.

It was nothing special. She'd do that for any guy that she think might have a thicker wallet.
It's why the cat and mouse games exists on how to get returns on investments into those physical entities. Some on the investor side want free samples of property values before investing - and have no intention of investment. Property owners prefer limited withdrawals and maximum invest.

As old as time.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I underestimated laptop researching, I thought it was like phone researching. I kinda wish that I started earlier in the week.
I had 2 strong options.
The first is the ideal for me in specs, but apparently the sound is low. Also multiple people have said that they have had an issue with Zoom. With how things are going, I'm not going to walk myself into that. Additionally, the camera is trash.
The second was also good. I was almost sold until learning that the WiFi connector is bad and disconnects frequently.

Back to the drawing board. I have more of an idea of what I'm seeking though. Hopefully that helps.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe she thought that. So dumb
There's not many educated people in my family.... Most are university of life types...

Most can't be bothered to learn how to use a computer let alone use a search engine.

They all have smartphones, can't say much about the people.

I am the first person in my family with higher education. My youngest niece is the second. I have two nieces, two nephews an older brother and sister.

My wife is the only person in her family with higher education in Australia. Her family in Finland is full of doctors, etc though.

When you grow up on the poor end the expectation isn't high.

I do find it odd none of my other nieces and nephews went further.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I underestimated laptop researching, I thought it was like phone researching. I kinda wish that I started earlier in the week.
I had 2 strong options.
The first is the ideal for me in specs, but apparently the sound is low. Also multiple people have said that they have had an issue with Zoom. With how things are going, I'm not going to walk myself into that. Additionally, the camera is trash.
The second was also good. I was almost sold until learning that the WiFi connector is bad and disconnects frequently.

Back to the drawing board. I have more of an idea of what I'm seeking though. Hopefully that helps.

If you plan to use Zoom I'd get a headset. Using the built in mic and speakers is useless.

I bought the Logitech H390.

I don't use cameras...

What's your budget? You're investigating AMD?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My sister-in-law is a b**ch. Her picture should be in the dictionary.

Perfect match for my A-hole of a brother.

It's the pure ignorance of it that gets me. Too many American movies I think...

There's so many people who think just marrying someone gives them citizenship. If only it was that easy.

I feel your pain. I never referred to her as my sister-in-law, she was always my brother’s wife (sadly, now widow). He passed in ‘06 and I haven’t spoken to her since. I’d say she was more than a bi**h, she simply Couldn’t Understand Normal Thinking. I don’t say that often, except in unusual circumstances.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
In the general sense, I get it, it totally is.
In the hustle sense, to each their own.
It is life and death for some. It is why they risk coming here. Most do so because they want to just work, pay taxes, send money home. The few who want to take advantage for nefarious reasons get held up as poster children for certain views on immigration policy. Of course the issue is way more complicated that that, but you understand why some people do what they do.

The girl I mentioned earlier and I had some frank discussions. She asked if I could, I told her I wasn't eligible - and I told her what were my terms if I were eligible. Remember, there is risk for the person with the documents here as well.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If you plan to use Zoom I'd get a headset. Using the built in mic and speakers is useless.

I bought the Logitech H390.

I don't use cameras...

What's your budget? You're investigating AMD?

That's so true, I learned that the hard way early on in this self-isolation period lol. I normally use earphones for the mic and speakers. In my Zoom meetings, the camera is on. It has to be on for class, meetings with friend groups and others as well. My current camera (with my current laptop) is okay, so I don't want to do a downgrade there.

My budget is 500 to 800 usd, but I can go up to 900 if the graphics are something good. Yep, the AMD Ryzen 7 or the 10th gen i5 (with a dedicated graphics card). I occasionally use graphic intensive programs so I need that there.

The first one I mentioned was the ASUS Vivobook 15, the 2019 edition, and the second was the Lenovo IdeaPad S40.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's so true, I learned that the hard way early on in this self-isolation period lol. I normally use earphones for the mic and speakers. In my Zoom meetings, the camera is on. It has to be on for class, meetings with friend groups and others as well. My current camera (with my current laptop) is okay, so I don't want to do a downgrade there.

My budget is 500 to 800 usd, but I can go up to 900 if the graphics are something good. Yep, the AMD Ryzen 7 or the 10th gen i5 (with a dedicated graphics card). I occasionally use graphic intensive programs so I need that there.

The first one I mentioned was the ASUS Vivobook 15, the 2019 edition, and the second was the Lenovo IdeaPad S40.
Mine was a similar budget. On the right sale you can catch the HP Envy 13T (256GB SSD +8GB RAM) or a Lenovo Flex 14 with the Ryzen chips if you want some ultrabook options. As a Intel Flex 14 owner, you've seen what to expect based on my comments here.

Since I tend to keep mine longer I had a higher budget for specs. You adjust based on your needs.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain. I never referred to her as my sister-in-law, she was always my brother’s wife (sadly, now widow). He passed in ‘06 and I haven’t spoken to her since. I’d say she was more than a bi**h, she simply Couldn’t Understand Normal Thinking. I don’t say that often, except in unusual circumstances.

I can relate to that. Mine has this tendency to be in other people's business. Doesn't get that she's not invited.

She then has the tendency to stir my brother up who has as short fuse and uses him to bully people. Then tries to act all innocent like she had nothing to do with it.

Going by this you might be able to understand why I like neither of them that much. Just mentioning them is giving me high blood pressure...

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Mine was a similar budget. On the right sale you can catch the HP Envy 13T (256GB SSD +8GB RAM) or a Lenovo Flex 14 with the Ryzen chips if you want some ultrabook options. As a Intel Flex 14 owner, you've seen what to expect based on my comments here.

Since I tend to keep mine longer I had a higher budget for specs. You adjust based on your needs.

That's great to know, thank you. I'll look into those. I really don't care for 2-in-1s that much. If it is the best option, I'll deal but I'll rather not. It seems like you have had good experiences with your Flex 14 so far. I see all of these Memorial Day sales right now, and I'm trying to take advantage.

I'm with you on that. I have had my current laptop for 5 years and it was a gift from my brother. He put really good specs in it at the time and it still holds well, but it's showing itself with it's behavior.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's great to know, thank you. I'll look into those. I really don't care for 2-in-1s that much. If it is the best option, I'll deal but I'll rather not. It seems like you have had good experiences with your Flex 14 so far. I see all of these Memorial Day sales right now, and I'm trying to take advantage.

I'm with you on that. I have had my current laptop for 5 years and it was a gift from my brother. He put really good specs in it at the time and it still holds well, but it's showing itself with it's behavior.
With the Flex 14:

- Webcam is good
- Performance is good
- Screen is good enough, will struggle with reflections and brightness a little bit
- Keyboard is solid
- Weight is decent
- Physical kill switch for webcam
- Battery life is average
- Materials feel a bit cheap
- Trackpad is average
- Can be noisy at times with the fans running

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member