WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I can relate to that. Mine has this tendency to be in other people's business. Doesn't get that she's not invited.

She then has the tendency to stir brother up who has as short fuse and uses him to bully people. Then tries to act all innocent like she had nothing to do with it.

Going by this you might be able to understand why I like neither of them that much. Just mentioning them is giving me high blood pressure...
Klonopin! Klonopin!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I underestimated laptop researching, I thought it was like phone researching. I kinda wish that I started earlier in the week.
I had 2 strong options.
The first is the ideal for me in specs, but apparently the sound is low. Also multiple people have said that they have had an issue with Zoom. With how things are going, I'm not going to walk myself into that. Additionally, the camera is trash.
The second was also good. I was almost sold until learning that the WiFi connector is bad and disconnects frequently.

Back to the drawing board. I have more of an idea of what I'm seeking though. Hopefully that helps.

Beware of bad internet and wifi cards. My laptop has a trash one, it can be so annoying.

I've just realised I never really cared about the speakers or the camera on a laptop.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Beware of bad internet and wifi cards. My laptop has a trash one, it can be so annoying.

I've just realised I never really cared about the speakers or the camera on a laptop.

That's good to know about those two issues. One would think that since they don't always have ethernet ports, you would expect that to be fine. Ugh.

That's interesting that you didn't, at least for the speakers anyway. I understand the camera though. I'm always watching YouTube videos. It's a daily thing for me. I don't want to have to plug in headphones/earphones, I only do when I need to.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
With the Flex 14:

- Webcam is good
- Performance is good
- Screen is good enough, will struggle with reflections and brightness a little bit
- Keyboard is solid
- Weight is decent
- Physical kill switch for webcam
- Battery life is average
- Materials feel a bit cheap
- Trackpad is average
- Can be noisy at times with the fans running

Thank you for this! It's very helpful. I'm a big fan of the physical kill switch for the webcam. No wonder why this is sold out on Lenovo's site.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
That's good to know about those two issues. One would think that since they don't always have ethernet ports, you would expect that to be fine. Ugh.

That's interesting that you didn't, at least for the speakers anyway. I understand the camera though. I'm always watching YouTube videos. It's a daily thing for me. I don't want to have to plug in headphones/earphones, I only do when I need to.

The ethernet port is a story on it's own. Ports in general. I can understand that a laptop can look better and a bit more stylish perhaps with less holes in it. But don't sacrifice practicality for the sake of it.
That's one of those bad trends in tech we've got going on at the moment.

I don't mind bad speakers on a laptop since I can't expect them to be as good as my earphones are. And call me crazy, but I like to hear every single instrument in a song and that's something a cheap mono speakers in a laptop can't really do well.
And on top of all, I'm just used to using earpieces for everything.

I have some laptops that you might like, I'll post links later, the app won't let me.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Remember how I said people won't be coming back home for Eid because of the virus? Well forget that. All border restrictions have been lifted. No isolation period, no need for a test as a prove.

N i c e.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The ethernet port is a story on it's own. Ports in general. I can understand that a laptop can look better and a bit more stylish perhaps with less holes in it. But don't sacrifice practicality for the sake of it.
That's one of those bad trends in tech we've got going on at the moment.

I don't mind bad speakers on a laptop since I can't expect them to be as good as my earphones are. And call me crazy, but I like to hear every single instrument in a song and that's something a cheap mono speakers in a laptop can't really do well.
And on top of all, I'm just used to using earpieces for everything.

I have some laptops that you might like, I'll post links later, the app won't let me.

I'm in full agreement with you on that. Doesn't make sense.

Ah, I understand now. It sounds like your ears are very in tune to sounds.

Okay, that's cool. I believe it for the app.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
libra, here's a few possibly good picks.

Dell XPS 13, note, it's 13.3 inch, 128GB SSD and no dedicated GPU, so somewhat a compromise.LINK

Surface Laptop 2 - Again, smaller display and no dedicated GPU
LINK 2

ASUS ROG - this one pretty much nails all the thins you've asked for, and even more, the GPU is a killer one and you get 512 SSD. Exceept for the webcam, which it doesn't have :/.
LINK 3

Acer Nitro 5 - is a bit weaker than the ROG, but still with a great GPU and a webcam.
LINK 4

Dell 15.6'' Gaming laptop LINK 5

There are many other fine examples, but I can't post all. I think your best luck with the good GPU is in the gaming waters. There are fine looking gaming laptops nowdays that don't scream bad taste, such as Dell's G series, Nitro doesn't look all that bad, there are nice looking Asus TUF laptops. Basically, just go for not less than 8GB of RAM, don't even consider having an HDD and you already know what you want for GPU and processor.

I think the biggest trade off with gaming laptops is going to be a webcam. Don't know how convenient it would be for you get a separate one, since you can get a bang of a deal for around 800$. Hope this helps though.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Dell XPS 13, note, it's 13.3 inch, 128GB SSD and no dedicated GPU, so somewhat a compromise.LINK

LINK 2

ASUS ROG - this one pretty much nails all the thins you've asked for, and even more, the GPU is a killer one and you get 512 SSD. Exceept for the webcam, which it doesn't have :/.
LINK 3

Acer Nitro 5 - is a bit weaker than the ROG, but still with a great GPU and a webcam.
LINK 4

There are many other fine examples, but I can't post all. I think your best luck with the good GPU is in the gaming waters. There are fine looking gaming laptops nowdays that don't scream bad taste, such as Dell's G series, Nitro doesn't look all that bad, there are nice looking Asus TUF laptops. Basically, just go for not less than 8GB of RAM, don't even consider having an HDD and you already know what you want for GPU and processor.

I think the biggest trade off with gaming laptops is going to be a webcam. Don't know how convenient it would be for you get a separate one, since you can get a bang of a deal for around 800$. Hope this helps though.
This is the part where I interject and state as that as a woman she may likely "prefer" to carry around half of Bosnia in a shoulder bag/tote vs lugging around a gaming laptop (even though they're plenty of women who like traveling light) . I think I remember hearing her state she doesn't want to carry around a heavy machine in her EDC (everyday carry) kit.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

This is helpful, thank you! I appreciate the time you took to find these and tell me about them. I could do that with the webcam, as long as I have enough USB ports.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This is the part where I interject and state as that as a woman she may likely "prefer" to carry around half of Bosnia in a shoulder bag/tote vs lugging around a gaming laptop (even though they're plenty of women who like traveling light) . I think I remember hearing her state she doesn't want to carry around a heavy machine in her EDC (everyday carry) kit.

You are correct. No heavy machines for me please. I do also value having at least average battery life.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You are correct. No heavy machines for me please. I do also value having at least average battery life.
My Flex 14 is a 3.7lb machine if memory serves my correct. The Envy 13T and the Dell XPS are under 3lb.I think what you carry your machine in also determines how you feel about the weight.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My Flex 14 is a 3.7lb machine if memory serves my correct. The Envy 13T and the Dell XPS are under 3lb.I think what you carry your machine in also determines how you feel about the weight.

I just use a backpack that has a laptop slot. That's good to know though. Unless it's like a thick gaming laptop, I'm guessing anything will be lighter than what I currently have lol.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, it looks like I'll need it. I have found some possibilities but no reviews on that model is a bummer. It's looking like possibly taking a risk.
There is another possibility to think about.

You could just find the best laptop for your price range not worrying much about the webcam, speakers and microphone. Make sure it has at least one USB C port.

Get a USB C hub. Buy a webcam and headset. Have them plugged in at home ready to go.

If you're out and need the webcam for some reason the laptop can suffice in that situation but it looks like the webcam and microphone are mostly at home thing?

That's the way I'd approach it anyway. I just assume all webcams, microphones and speakers on laptops are still rubbish for the most part and care more about the other parts of the laptop more. Battery life, WiFi, CPU, etc.

Since I rarely use a webcam it's never a consideration for me and with all the calls I've made on Skype and Zoom I've learned that a headset or using a USB microphone and the laptop speakers is the better solution.

Just using the laptop built in stuff isn't that great. At least in my experience so far.

Haven't tried the wife's new laptop yet for calls so maybe it's better.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I small story. I may have mentioned this a while ago.

My wife and I met online. She was in Australia and I was in Canada. We're both from low income families but both of us always had a desire to live overseas and travel. It was a lot more difficult to do that when I was younger.

Anyway, Australia, even today, is not well known. Most people don't know much about it. Even those who lived there for a year on working tourists visa are not really aware of everything. For most Australia is a tourists destination of as lifetime.

So when my wife and I got together originally the plan was for her to move to Canada. That changed and I moved to Australia instead. Because it was easier. We've since moved around a lot more and I think my moving to Australia was the better choice. It helped my mentality a lot.

During the time of deciding about this I found out that my sister-in-law thought my wife was after Canadian citizenship and was the only reason she was interred in me... I'm not overly fond of my sister-in-law if you're wondering. Lots of other reasons as well bedsides this.

My wife found that amusing though. It showed a clear misunderstanding of Australia.

It's both sad and funny how ignorant some people can be.
That's interesting and amazing that both of you were able to marry and travel so much at your ages.

Most people who travel abroad frequently do so either when young and single on student visas, or once they are married but well-off retirees.

I guess I misunderstood citizenship and residency in Commonwealth nations. I had thought that persons who were citizens of a Commonwealth nation could easily move to another Commonwealth nation or even to the UK easily. For example, I would have guessed that MIA could have moved to the UK and become a permanent resident or citizen there easier than moving to the USA and becoming a permanent resident or citizen here. I also thought that you would have been easily able to move from Canada to Australia.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb