WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Darn.. After months of relatively good Covid control we had two clusters in the state. One traced to football game and the other to a police station holding undocumented migrant workers. Obviously both was from not keeping SD and lapse in SOP protocols.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Brief encounter with the Duo at Best Buy. Wow is the only word to describe the fit and finish from a hardware perspective. Easy to open and close plus the feeling that hinge is made to last. It felt surprisingly easy to navigate even though it’s a wide device but I have large mitts and I had a Passport. Since it’s short compared to today’s phones it was a breeze to pull down the notifications shade.

Software-wise there’s work to be done. The icons and the colors have a distinct Gingerbread-era look to them but I’m sure the launcher settings should provide alternatives. The gestures did not play nicely with me but Lord knows how many people have fiddled with this demo unit. When I picked it up the screen was blank and then it flashed a couple of times then rebooted. The camera isn’t too shabby to be honest. I wasn’t expecting anything special so my preconceived notions didn’t take a hit.

All in all I only spent a few minutes but I quickly realized there WILL be a learning curve with this bad boy. Few, if any, of us have had any experience with a split display like this so there isn’t much we can glean from the past. The jury is still out on battery life but I think I might take the plunge. I’m planning to go to another Best Buy to see if their demo is in better shape and look closer under the hood.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm intrigued. But its not something I'll get right now. Perhaps in a refined and cheaper version 2.
My priorities lies elsewhere, in the farm. Plans to put up a portable bare basics cabin that fits two or three...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Brief encounter with the Duo at Best Buy. Wow is the only word to describe the fit and finish from a hardware perspective. Easy to open and close plus the feeling that hinge is made to last. It felt surprisingly easy to navigate even though it’s a wide device but I have large mitts and I had a Passport. Since it’s short compared to today’s phones it was a breeze to pull down the notifications shade.

Software-wise there’s work to be done. The icons and the colors have a distinct Gingerbread-era look to them but I’m sure the launcher settings should provide alternatives. The gestures did not play nicely with me but Lord knows how many people have fiddled with this demo unit. When I picked it up the screen was blank and then it flashed a couple of times then rebooted. The camera isn’t too shabby to be honest. I wasn’t expecting anything special so my preconceived notions didn’t take a hit.

All in all I only spent a few minutes but I quickly realized there WILL be a learning curve with this bad boy. Few, if any, of us have had any experience with a split display like this so there isn’t much we can glean from the past. The jury is still out on battery life but I think I might take the plunge. I’m planning to go to another Best Buy to see if their demo is in better shape and look closer under the hood.

Ooh let us know what you decide to do.

I see that today is review day for it in the tech world.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ooh let us know what you decide to do.

I see that today is review day for it in the tech world.
I saw a couple of the reviews and they pretty much echo what I saw for myself. I'm surprised that the reviews came back very favorably regarding battery life though, that was my chief concern. I was also unaware there had already been a pre-ship update which would explain a lot of the bugginess I experienced. I'm leaning very much to getting one, I haven't been able to work on Excel files on the run since my Passport days. These new 19:9 and 21:9 displays only give me 2 or 3 columns to work with at a time and getting to my laptop involves walking 3 blocks to where my truck is parked. Yeah, we're at the height of thunderstorm season here so you know that's not fun.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I saw a couple of the reviews and they pretty much echo what I saw for myself. I'm surprised that the reviews came back very favorably regarding battery life though, that was my chief concern. I was also unaware there had already been a pre-ship update which would explain a lot of the bugginess I experienced. I'm leaning very much to getting one, I haven't been able to work on Excel files on the run since my Passport days. These new 19:9 and 21:9 displays only give me 2 or 3 columns to work with at a time and getting to my laptop involves walking 3 blocks to where my truck is parked. Yeah, we're at the height of thunderstorm season here so you know that's not fun.

Post a mini review here once you use it for a week or two.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
So... Its been 6 months of MCO under Covid. What has happened?
The numbers have been good, the 2nd wave never came. We had enhanced MCO for several small areas with spikes. Power struggles, corruption continues. Corrupted ministers and chief ministers have multiple charges by the feds.
State election will be held in a fortnight. The city I registered to vote in is now experiencing a Covid spike. Seriously thinking about not voting as its 10hr drive, cos I'm not keen on flying or sitting in a bus... confine spaces with strangers and all that. We have such a porous border with Indonesia, its easy for virus to spread. Sincerely hope our neighbours up their monitoring, education & control.
Meanwhile, the seven kittens are recovering from ringworm infection. Give it a couple of weeks more and we're giving them away to stay in their forever home.
... and the older cats just got spayed... snip snip snip
... and the English Premier league has resume. Echoing the managers sentiments, Liverpool is not just going to defend their title, were gonna attack it... YNWA
.. and hope everyone is doing OK...
Kinda quiet here

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So... Its been 6 months of MCO under Covid. What has happened?
The numbers have been good, the 2nd wave never came. We had enhanced MCO for several small areas with spikes. Power struggles, corruption continues. Corrupted ministers and chief ministers have multiple charges by the feds.
State election will be held in a fortnight. The city I registered to vote in is now experiencing a Covid spike. Seriously thinking about not voting as its 10hr drive, cos I'm not keen on flying or sitting in a bus... confine spaces with strangers and all that. We have such a porous border with Indonesia, its easy for virus to spread. Sincerely hope our neighbours up their monitoring, education & control.
Meanwhile, the seven kittens are recovering from ringworm infection. Give it a couple of weeks more and we're giving them away to stay in their forever home.
... and the older cats just got spayed... snip snip snip
... and the English Premier league has resume. Echoing the managers sentiments, Liverpool is not just going to defend their title, were gonna attack it... YNWA
.. and hope everyone is doing OK...
Kinda quiet here

Ahh that's unfortunate about the spike in your city. Aww for the recovering kittens. Thank you for sharing updates.

I don't feel like I have much to say, lol.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm still walking dogs, and dogs are still getting adopted quickly. Otherwise, not much else going on here. I hope everyone is doing well.

So far so good. I'm doing two new senior living buildings directly across the street from Marlins Park and I've noticed a marked drop in the lines for Covid testing. I hope it's that cases are dropping and not diminished testing because it used to be that appointments were not necessary and now they are.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh no, that sucks. :( Does this mean that it's possible that almost everything could be shut down again?

Not if they don't have to - they want to keep the businesses open so we don't damage the economy, but I think they're going to basically say you can only go to shops, work or stay home. That's it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb