WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've always had mad respect for LeBron before and after his time in Miami but it SUCKED that he beat my Heat for the title. His altruism and stance on social issues transcend the sport and it's what also brings out the haters. Kind of tells you where we are as a society huh?
I'm glad he got another title since he's really a good guy. He still does loads of charity work in Akron, Ohio.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I asked my brother to help me with the laptop thing and he couldn't so I finally bought one. It's a Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7. I am supposed to get it tomorrow apparently! It seems like the best compromise of what I was looking for. Also found a good deal for it.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
That's great to hear. Let us know how you like it and maybe a mini review as well.
I asked my brother to help me with the laptop thing and he couldn't so I finally bought one. It's a Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7. I am supposed to get it tomorrow apparently! It seems like the best compromise of what I was looking for. Also found a good deal for it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's great to hear. Let us know how you like it and maybe a mini review as well.

I'll do my best! The only downside of this deal is that I only have 14 days to see if it will work for me or not. (It's a downside because other places have a longer return period, due to the time of year). Either way, I'll share.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Early impressions of the laptop:

-It's so light.
-Opening it with one hand is possible but I haven't gotten the hang of it.
-As someone with long fingers, the keyboard feels good but will adjust. (I'll really put this to action the next day I work from home).
-I like that the power button is also a sensor.
-The speakers are decent.

I like it so far, even though it makes my old computer look like a fossil lol.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'll do my best! The only downside of this deal is that I only have 14 days to see if it will work for me or not. (It's a downside because other places have a longer return period, due to the time of year). Either way, I'll share.

Checked Lenovo and it seems like from when I ordered to now, they suddenly relisted this laptop and they were able to price match before buying so when I get it, I'll have 30 days to use it! And then if the price drops in that time frame, they can give me another match. This one will be going back to the store. I need to do a video call to see that experience with video and sound, which I'll have soon.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Checked Lenovo and it seems like from when I ordered to now, they suddenly relisted this laptop and they were able to price match before buying so when I get it, I'll have 30 days to use it! And then if the price drops in that time frame, they can give me another match. This one will be going back to the store. I need to do a video call to see that experience with video and sound, which I'll have soon.

Good luck!!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Early impressions of the laptop:

-It's so light.
-Opening it with one hand is possible but I haven't gotten the hang of it.
-As someone with long fingers, the keyboard feels good but will adjust. (I'll really put this to action the next day I work from home).
-I like that the power button is also a sensor.
-The speakers are decent.

I like it so far, even though it makes my old computer look like a fossil lol.

Additional thoughts:

-The screen is glossy, which is annoying considering that it isn't touch screen.
-The display is on the dim side.
-Sometimes the fan just randomly kicks up (and with this extended period, I plan to see how that goes and if I'm willing to tolerate it)
-I don't know if it is a Windows 10 thing or what, but it seems to prefer Edge. Everything else works too but it goes from being very quiet to making a bit of noise if I'm not using Edge.
-The webcam isn't good, but I remember what Rue said and I ordered one that is on the cheap side, but will work for what is needed.

I have also found that there was an AMD variant of this laptop that was also good, aside from lacking the thunderbolt ports. I can't find it though, so maybe Lenovo ended it. I do like it so far and will have more to say hopefully when I can have it for a week, rather than 3-4 days of usage. Then I can give a mini review here.

Edit: Found this review and I can agree with it, I'm possibly leaning towards keeping it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXyqk4Kuvqw

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey @libra89
Fans coming on randomly was one reason I returned the relatively expensive HP and Lenovo last year and decided to make the jump to the even more expensive Dell XPS 13.

Also another thing I have realized lately is that it's better to use Edge versus Chrome. Give that a try and see if that helps reduce the fan usage. Microsoft has outdone Google with the new Edge. Google really needs to address some big issues with Chrome.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey @libra89
Fans coming on randomly was one reason I returned the relatively expensive HP and Lenovo last year and decided to make the jump to the even more expensive Dell XPS 13.

Also another thing I have realized lately is that it's better to use Edge versus Chrome. Give that a try and see if that helps reduce the fan usage. Microsoft has outdone Google with the new Edge. Google really needs to address some big issues with Chrome.

Ooh that's so helpful to know. I had no idea that was part of the reason for you. It does sound like the additional cost of the Dell XPS 13 can be worth it.

I'll try that for sure when I get it back (that sounds weird, I know lol). I really hope that it does. Sometimes it just starts up when I'm just browsing and/or using Excel and then it stops. It seems to not make sense to me with how it works. For a Zoom call though, it seems fine? So I don't get it. Thank you for sharing this tip.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I gave the Duo a solid month and a half, which is about a month more than I would give any phone. Sadly, UPS is returning it to Microsoft today. The reason it lasted as long as it did is because it does so much right yet can't do the most basic task to save it's life - phone calls. The dual screen experience is like no other, it will be hard to go back to a mono display. But I get 50-60 phone calls on an average day when I have meetings and have exceeded 100 when I don't have meetings and people know I will answer the phone. A folding phone without an exterior display simply doesn't cut it. I can't see how Microsoft will employ one on a future device while stubbornly clinging to the idea that it must be thinner than a Ritz Cracker. At least I know what to look for if and when they release a 2nd or 3rd gen model.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I gave the Duo a solid month and a half, which is about a month more than I would give any phone. Sadly, UPS is returning it to Microsoft today. The reason it lasted as long as it did is because it does so much right yet can't do the most basic task to save it's life - phone calls. The dual screen experience is like no other, it will be hard to go back to a mono display. But I get 50-60 phone calls on an average day when I have meetings and have exceeded 100 when I don't have meetings and people know I will answer the phone. A folding phone without an exterior display simply doesn't cut it. I can't see how Microsoft will employ one on a future device while stubbornly clinging to the idea that it must be thinner than a Ritz Cracker. At least I know what to look for if and when they release a 2nd or 3rd gen model.

You gave it a great try. It is cool but I can easily imagine the frustration with these issues for you. Hopefully this will improve for round 2, whenever that will be.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Laptop actually came a day earlier than expected! I'm planning to try out only using Edge, as suggested. So far, I have updated everything and with using Edge, it is quiet. I'll see how it goes with having some Edge tabs open and using Excel spreadsheets with a lot of data tomorrow when working.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I read it, and I was thinking I don't even get 50-60 phone calls in a year.
I wish I could lay my hands on a SD over here, it would be interesting for sure.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I read it, and I was thinking I don't even get 50-60 phone calls in a year.
I wish I could lay my hands on a SD over here, it would be interesting for sure.

Today has been brutally quiet due to meetings in the morning and afternoon. Only 30 so far. As for the Duo, once the dual screen bug bites, there’s no antidote. For someone who rarely talks on the phone like you, you may not go back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb