WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's been a week since I received the IdeaPad Slim 7 (14") once again (I did also get my original refund for the first one so we are good) so here's a mini review for y'all now that I have done essentially all of my regular activities on it.

Design:
As I said before, it is a beautiful laptop. Since it's a 14" laptop, I had to adjust to the keyboard. The keys have really good feedback, and are backlit. Also, I'm not sure if this is normal for a laptop with this kind of finish but I find random drops all the time. (I don't know how to clean them)

Display:
It is dim, glossy and the bezels aren't razor thin. The dark theme on Windows 10 looks great on it! I'm used to a dimmer display but I can admit that at times, I do feel the need to brighten it. Watching videos is really nice.

Fans:
Spoiler alert: The fans still occasionally kick up. I have noticed that it is more with certain activities which makes sense, but the random kick is still a thing. The one I have is the i5, 8gb ram (fixed), 512 ssd with Nvidia GPU. I'm curious if there will be less of a kick with 16gb but I'm not willing to pay over 1k to find out (since that's way out of my budget).

Etc:
Performance is solid. Battery life is amazing. Speakers are good, but it is a better experience with headphones/earphones. The webcam is just okay, I felt like I downgraded from what I had previously. On that note, no shutter. Windows Hello (both fingerprint, and the iris scanner) is good.

This ended up being kind of long but this laptop is unique in what it offers at its price point. A part of me still wishes that I can try the AMD processor version. I'm open to trying different computers but I have liked the experience using this. If I could find something similar, I would likely try that. In case I don't, I can possibly consider keeping this.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's been a week since I received the IdeaPad Slim 7 (14") once again (I did also get my original refund for the first one so we are good) so here's a mini review for y'all now that I have done essentially all of my regular activities on it.

Design:
As I said before, it is a beautiful laptop. Since it's a 14" laptop, I had to adjust to the keyboard. The keys have really good feedback, and are backlit. Also, I'm not sure if this is normal for a laptop with this kind of finish but I find random drops all the time. (I don't know how to clean them)

Display:
It is dim, glossy and the bezels aren't razor thin. The dark theme on Windows 10 looks great on it! I'm used to a dimmer display but I can admit that at times, I do feel the need to brighten it. Watching videos is really nice.

Fans:
Spoiler alert: The fans still occasionally kick up. I have noticed that it is more with certain activities which makes sense, but the random kick is still a thing. The one I have is the i5, 8gb ram (fixed), 512 ssd with Nvidia GPU. I'm curious if there will be less of a kick with 16gb but I'm not willing to pay over 1k to find out (since that's way out of my budget).

Etc:
Performance is solid. Battery life is amazing. Speakers are good, but it is a better experience with headphones/earphones. The webcam is just okay, I felt like I downgraded from what I had previously. On that note, no shutter. Windows Hello (both fingerprint, and the iris scanner) is good.

This ended up being kind of long but this laptop is unique in what it offers at its price point. A part of me still wishes that I can try the AMD processor version. I'm open to trying different computers but I have liked the experience using this. If I could find something similar, I would likely try that. In case I don't, I can possibly consider keeping this.

Nice write up. Did you test Edge over Chrome to check on the fan firing up?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Switched over to the S20 FE today from the Pixel 4XL.

I am going to miss the Oh so Orange color.

Waiting for Black Friday deals to decide on Pixel 5 or 4a 5G.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Nice write up. Did you test Edge over Chrome to check on the fan firing up?

Thank you! I did, and that has helped it go down but it still happens. In an hour, if I'm not using Zoom, it might make noise for 40 seconds and then stay quiet 2 or 3 times.

I am really enjoying the experience of it.

Edit: I jinxed it, the fans have been a thing (on and off) with watching (more so listening to a Youtube video) and working on documents (2 excel workbooks) in the cloud with 9 tabs open. It comes and goes really.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Switched over to the S20 FE today from the Pixel 4XL.

I am going to miss the Oh so Orange color.

Waiting for Black Friday deals to decide on Pixel 5 or 4a 5G.

Ooh let us know how it is for you. It sounds like a really interesting phone.

Hopefully a good deal comes out for those.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey, it's been a while since I have seen you around here. I hope you and your loved ones are doing as well as you all can in this time.
Thank you. That was so nice of you to say. Much appreciated. I hope the same for you....and to everyone here, of course.
I've been mostly lurking in the shadows. Just working, living, avoiding covid, etc.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Ha ha. Thank you. Appreciate that.
I'm definitely not an instagram pro, but my students like to see themselves doing experiments and projects. I need to upload more often though.
You doing ok?
Doing OK. People here thought we had Covid well under control, but we had a local election about two months back and now we are cases have spiked.... The 3rd wave is rolling along.
That said, I'm not doing much.. staying home, and getting our entertainment and amusement from the US elections.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well it’s been an exciting weekend so far. Herr Drumpf has been deposed and the Dolphins/Cardinals tilt was a barn burner (Tua looks legit) but now it’s time for life in South Florida to get back to “normal”. The strongest of Eta’s bands is fitna to hit in about a half hour. Hopefully the power survives the hit, it’s my least favorite part of a tropical event.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Went to see the meteor shower on Wednesday night.

S20 FE manual pro mode with a tripod.
Not a bad picture for a smartphone. 8 second exposure. There's a guy called Brent Hall on YouTube who has good tips and tricks to take night sky pictures with a smartphone.

20201111_230323.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro