View Poll Results: Are you platform neutral?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, uses all major ecosystems

11 26.19%
  • Yes uses Android and WP/W8

8 19.05%
  • Yes, uses iOS and WP/W8

5 11.90%
  • No, just WP/W8

14 33.33%
  • Others

4 9.52%
09-04-2013 01:07 AM
59 123
tools
    There's a 12 step program for what ails you. But if you're like me, you'll trip and fall on the first one.
    Haha. I have no doubt you are right.
    08-01-2013 08:39 PM
    My lineup looks like this:

Primary phone - Nexus 4
    2nd line - switch between iPhone 5 & Lumia 521 as the mood strikes
    Wife's phone - Galaxy Nexus
    2 Tablets
    • Nexus 7 (2012)
    • HP Touchpad dual booting WebOS and Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2
    2 Laptops - both Windows 8
    Desktop - Windows Home Server 2011

So the final tally is:

Microsoft - 4
    Android - 4
    WebOS - 1
    Apple - 1

That's counting the HP Touchpad as 1 each Android & WebOS. I used it in WebOS some at first, but lately the Android ROM is very, very good after a long time in development. Everything works and it is pretty much bug free. I almost never use WebOS anymore.
    What ROM are you using on the Touchpad? I'm using Paranoid 2.99 running with Jellybean 4.1.2. I put on 4.2.2 ROMs but wasn't feeling it. I still use it in WebOS but when I don't want to use the G. Nexus, I run it in Android.

I do want a Windows Tab. I'm leaning towards Win 8 outright (like the Asus offerings) but I like the price point for the Surface RT and its full USB port. I may wait a while (get a Bluetooth keyboard for the TP) and go with a Gen 2 Windows 8 tab...
    08-01-2013 08:45 PM
    I'm one of those fanboi's that can be a little extreme, but I am changing my ways a little bit.

To demonstrate what I mean, I love MS, use their products and services at home and work as a developer using only their suite of software. My apps are only available on WP. I have banned Apple products at my house (not joking). Actually taking it a step further I am also brand loyal too, so where possible all my appliances / gadgets are by Samsung with the exception of my PS3 and Nokia WP phones.

My other exceptions are that I and my Wife are currently using Android phones (by Samsung of course - GS3). I already have 3 windows phones and my phone provider was able to get me a pair of GS3's on a plan similar to getting a single decent WP's phone, so it was a no brainer really. Besides I could not convince my wife that WP is better than Android.
    On a final note I am happy to say that I am impressed with my GS3 and especially the way it works with my Samsung smart TV. I still use my WP's each day (at least one of them anyway). The Nokia hardware is great but I feel the OS is lacking and missing some features that I use regularly on my Android.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-01-2013 09:09 PM
    I'm a minimalist, but always have been curious by nature so having played with Symbian (e61), android (Google G1), ios (2g, 3gs), wmobile 6x - rooting, jailbreaking, at one point I had two distros of linux suse and ubuntu running with win xp on my old pc before it died but that was like 5 years ago - it became a shared PC since mine was the fastest and well maintained in the house. So I had to default it to XP as Linux didn't really go down to well with the other members of my family unfortunately lol.

Console wise I have a dreamcast, sega master system, nintendo 64, had a snes, a ps2, ps3, now PS4 and X1 (Day 1 ed) on pre-order.

But I guess these days my minimalist side has taken over due to work so I just have my L920 and my probook 4730s running windows 7 therefore I guess I am no longer platform "neutral".
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    08-01-2013 09:26 PM
    I'm a minimalist, but always have been curious by nature so having played with Symbian (e61), android (Google G1), ios (2g, 3gs), wmobile 6x - rooting, jailbreaking, at one point I had two distros of linux suse and ubuntu running with win xp on my old pc before it died but that was like 5 years ago - it became a shared PC since mine was the fastest and well maintained in the house. So I had to default it to XP as Linux didn't really go down to well with the other members of my family unfortunately lol.

Console wise I have a dreamcast, sega master system, nintendo 64, had a snes, a ps2, ps3, now PS4 and X1 (Day 1 ed) on pre-order.

But I guess these days my minimalist side has taken over due to work so I just have my L920 and my probook 4730s running windows 7 therefore I guess I am no longer platform "neutral".
    I ran SUSE from 2010 until a couple months ago this year. Then I switched to Mint.
    08-01-2013 11:39 PM
    Look at my signature. Enough said.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    08-01-2013 11:44 PM
    I just use whatever piques my interest and works for my needs.
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    08-02-2013 12:02 AM
    I ran SUSE from 2010 until a couple months ago this year. Then I switched to Mint.
    Any reason for the switch? or just felt it was time for a change.
    08-02-2013 03:54 PM
    This is a WP forum, but I am wondering how many people are platform neutral or close to it?

For me, I am currently using a Chinese OEM Android tablet (Pipo M6) as something to try and play with, a Nokia Lumia 920 as my daily driver, uses Windows at work and home. Have to admit as being a Nokia fanboy though, so when Nokia makes one of those tablets often touted, I will jump on it straight.

Not an Apple fan at all since iPod days, so I am not exactly neutral. However, Jay from My Nokia Blog uses Macs and iPad, so wondering just how many people are platform neutral.
    You could say i have a similar dilemma. I practically hate iOS and I love windows phone and appreciate android. In fact, I have a Lumia 920 and the new Nexus 7 2013. I like wp8 a lot, but at the same time, I sort of also like the nexus devices from google. I'm just going to have to be split I guess.
    08-02-2013 03:59 PM
    Phone: L820
    Laptop: Win8
    Music: iPod Mini 3rd gen

I used to own an iPhone 4. I thought I would stick to iOS, but I played a bit with my friend's L710 and I really liked the smoothness of this device. That's why I jumped to L820 and boy I couldn't have made a better decision

(but still I would like to give the iPad a go )
    08-02-2013 04:06 PM
    Any reason for the switch? or just felt it was time for a change.
    I liked the Mate desktop better than KDE 4.10 and Gnome 3.6.
    08-02-2013 04:09 PM
    Neutral as they get
    Phones: lumia928 ,note 2
    Tablet: nexus 7 ,Acer w510
    Laptop: win 8.1 preview
    Desktop: Ubuntu
    IPod nano

Yes I ***** and complain about EVERY platform because they all **** me off in some way. If you don't like it don't look. :P
    08-02-2013 04:17 PM
    Neutral as they get
    Phones: lumia928 ,note 2
    Tablet: nexus 7 ,Acer w510
    Laptop: win 8.1 preview
    Desktop: Ubuntu
    IPod nano

Yes I ***** and complain about EVERY platform because they all **** me off in some way. If you don't like it don't look. :P
    You moan and ***** about every platform because..........there is no "perfect" platform. Those of us who switch on a regular basis will likely try Sailfish, Firefox, Ubuntu touch and whatever else comes down the pike. Since none are perfect, new forums will pop up and you'll see new moaning and new ********. New iOS vs. WP8 vs. Sailfish, etc. wars. Looking forward to it already.
    08-02-2013 06:34 PM
    You moan and ***** about every platform because..........there is no "perfect" platform. Those of us who switch on a regular basis will likely try Sailfish, Firefox, Ubuntu touch and whatever else comes down the pike. Since none are perfect, new forums will pop up and you'll see new moaning and new ********. New iOS vs. WP8 vs. Sailfish, etc. wars. Looking forward to it already.
    and I'll be on those forums moaning and ******** and you'll be there replying. It is part of the techies life.
    08-02-2013 06:50 PM
    I'm a Windows fangirl so I guess that's a nope.

Laptop and desktop run Windows 7. Only non-Windows devices I have are my phone, tablet, and a laptop I'm trying PC BSD out on. Hate my phone, love my tablet (but would definitely install RT on it if I could, *sigh*), and the laptop was of my own doing.

Windows (Desktop, Phone, anything NT) best OS(es)!

Please don't flame me, this is only my opinion and I don't want to fight with anyone. :(
    Laura Knotek, MSFTisMIA and CSJr1 like this.
    08-02-2013 08:25 PM
    I am not sure how one can be platform agnostic. Switching ecosystem would mean having to juggle multiple app stores. Having a platform of choice means that you pick up not only on the ecosystem but also the culture. I've browsed a few forumns and the culture is radically different depending on what the OS of choice is. I've seen attitudes of defense, superiority, and almost entitlement. ( In one board I swear they eat their young:) I am not saying that the culture would define anyone and only "Siths deal in absolutes":) But preference goes a long way to define a community untill that preference doesn't suit them anymore..
    08-04-2013 02:10 PM
    I am not sure how one can be platform agnostic. Switching ecosystem would mean having to juggle multiple app stores...
    Choosing Windows as your platform of choice leads to this issue, unfortunately. Probably my biggest single gripe about owning a WP and say a Windows RT tablet is having to pay for the same app twice. This is not an issue with iPhone/iPad. I can almost understand the difference with WP and Win8, but RT is marketed as a tablet, so it is a fair comparison, imo.
    08-04-2013 02:36 PM
    I am not sure how one can be platform agnostic. Switching ecosystem would mean having to juggle multiple app stores. Having a platform of choice means that you pick up not only on the ecosystem but also the culture. I've browsed a few forumns and the culture is radically different depending on what the OS of choice is. I've seen attitudes of defense, superiority, and almost entitlement. ( In one board I swear they eat their young:) I am not saying that the culture would define anyone and only "Siths deal in absolutes":) But preference goes a long way to define a community untill that preference doesn't suit them anymore..
    Its fairly easy to keep track of the different apps/stores using multiple ecosystems. I have an 820, an iPod Touch and classic iPod, a 360, a Wii U, and a host of other gadgets using different programs and ecosystems.
    08-04-2013 03:24 PM
    I'm not sure how a person can be "platform neutral". As I understand it, you would mean is my app that I've created platform neutral. Or are you meaning that do I use only one platform on all my devices or am I using different platforms?

Cellphone: WP8
    Tablet: Amazon Kindle Fire HD
    Laptop: MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.8.4
    Desktop 1: Windows 7
    Destop 2: Linux Mint
    Gaming Console: I don't have one.
    Email: Outlook.com
    08-25-2013 01:37 AM
    I know I'll be bashed for this, but I don't support Microsoft or apple, I despise everything they stand for.

Cellphone: SGS3
    PC: Linux Mint 15 KDE (No windows whatsoever).
    Console: Nintendo 64, PS2, and Xbox 360 (only own the 360, because of the money I've sunk into it), and a GameCube.

I have to develop for windows and apple products, because they are so popular, but that doesn't mean I like to.

Sent from the stars...
    08-25-2013 05:51 PM
    I'm sort of neutral

Phone: lumia 920
    PC: windows 8
    Tablet: iPad mini
    Console: ps3
    Email: gmail.com

Well... Not super neutral as I hate android! Lol
    08-25-2013 06:13 PM
    I have used; not quite owned everything, but used them for some time. The only thing I haven't used is webos.
    Phones: Look below at my signature. Its missing a few devices still. I've used a few Nokias with Symbian on them. Also I've used two android devices (My grandparents' and a friend of the family's) and one iPhone (Dads')

x86 OS: Windows 3.1-8, MSDOS&FreeDOS, Knoppix, Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, MacOS Tiger to Mountain Lion
    PowerPC: eMacs and iMacs (only Mac OS 8.7 and some OS9)
    Tablet: WinXP Tablet Edition 2005 :P (long lost and retired)
    Consoles: Don't get me started.... SEGA Genesis, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, X360, GameGear, Sega Nomad, GameBoy, GBC, GBA, DS, DSLite, DSi, 3DS
    Email: ugh really? AOL, Frontier, Hotmail, GMail, Netzero, ect. (too many)
    Portable Media Players: iPod Nano 1st Gen (2GB), iPod Video (30GB), Sansa e200 (idk) [All of these devices have Rockbox on them and are AWESOME!]
    PDAs: Apple Newton MP120 (I never have gotten that one to work...), Palm IIIc, Palm Tungsten E, Palm Tungsten E2

My everyday use:
    PC: Win8Pro
    Phone: Lumia 928

Sorry to say, but MS has found my sweet spot.
    08-25-2013 08:43 PM
    Phone - Samsung (Yuck!) Galaxy (Yuck!) Grand (Yuck!) "DUOS" YUCK YUCK YUCK! - Lagdroid. (My work requires me to carry this piece of S**t)
    Phone 2 - Lumia 820 WP8 <3
    Tablet - Apple iPad Mini
    Desktop - HP 26" AIO on Windows 8
    Work - Dell + Windows 7
    Gaming System - Old Sony PSP (I don't even know where it is :P)

So, yes...majority is Windows.

Currently eyeing:

nokia-windows-rt-tablet-leak.jpg
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    08-26-2013 04:27 AM
    Right now I have a Z10 as my phone (BB10) and Windows 8 for my laptop. I have tried Android and iOS and I do not like either. My upgrade is up and I plan on going with a Windows Phone as I have never owned one. I am on Verizon and I really hope that a phablet comes our way :). If not, I can only hope that the red 928 is a reality.
    Laura Knotek and Elite1 like this.
    08-29-2013 09:49 AM
    I'm neutral - just look at my signature below.
    09-01-2013 08:03 AM
59 123