Platform neutral - Are you one?

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure how one can be platform agnostic. Switching ecosystem would mean having to juggle multiple app stores. Having a platform of choice means that you pick up not only on the ecosystem but also the culture. I've browsed a few forumns and the culture is radically different depending on what the OS of choice is. I've seen attitudes of defense, superiority, and almost entitlement. ( In one board I swear they eat their young:) I am not saying that the culture would define anyone and only "Siths deal in absolutes":) But preference goes a long way to define a community untill that preference doesn't suit them anymore..

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure how one can be platform agnostic. Switching ecosystem would mean having to juggle multiple app stores...

Choosing Windows as your platform of choice leads to this issue, unfortunately. Probably my biggest single gripe about owning a WP and say a Windows RT tablet is having to pay for the same app twice. This is not an issue with iPhone/iPad. I can almost understand the difference with WP and Win8, but RT is marketed as a tablet, so it is a fair comparison, imo.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure how one can be platform agnostic. Switching ecosystem would mean having to juggle multiple app stores. Having a platform of choice means that you pick up not only on the ecosystem but also the culture. I've browsed a few forumns and the culture is radically different depending on what the OS of choice is. I've seen attitudes of defense, superiority, and almost entitlement. ( In one board I swear they eat their young:) I am not saying that the culture would define anyone and only "Siths deal in absolutes":) But preference goes a long way to define a community untill that preference doesn't suit them anymore..

Its fairly easy to keep track of the different apps/stores using multiple ecosystems. I have an 820, an iPod Touch and classic iPod, a 360, a Wii U, and a host of other gadgets using different programs and ecosystems.

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how a person can be "platform neutral". As I understand it, you would mean is my app that I've created platform neutral. Or are you meaning that do I use only one platform on all my devices or am I using different platforms?

Cellphone: WP8
Tablet: Amazon Kindle Fire HD
Laptop: MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.8.4
Desktop 1: Windows 7
Destop 2: Linux Mint
Gaming Console: I don't have one.
Email: Outlook.com

gollum18

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I know I'll be bashed for this, but I don't support Microsoft or apple, I despise everything they stand for.

Cellphone: SGS3
PC: Linux Mint 15 KDE (No windows whatsoever).
Console: Nintendo 64, PS2, and Xbox 360 (only own the 360, because of the money I've sunk into it), and a GameCube.

I have to develop for windows and apple products, because they are so popular, but that doesn't mean I like to.

Sent from the stars...

agmanuel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sort of neutral

Phone: lumia 920
PC: windows 8
Tablet: iPad mini
Console: ps3
Email: gmail.com

Well... Not super neutral as I hate android! Lol

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I have used; not quite owned everything, but used them for some time. The only thing I haven't used is webos.
Phones: Look below at my signature. Its missing a few devices still. I've used a few Nokias with Symbian on them. Also I've used two android devices (My grandparents' and a friend of the family's) and one iPhone (Dads')

x86 OS: Windows 3.1-8, MSDOS&FreeDOS, Knoppix, Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, MacOS Tiger to Mountain Lion
PowerPC: eMacs and iMacs (only Mac OS 8.7 and some OS9)
Tablet: WinXP Tablet Edition 2005 :p (long lost and retired)
Consoles: Don't get me started.... SEGA Genesis, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, X360, GameGear, Sega Nomad, GameBoy, GBC, GBA, DS, DSLite, DSi, 3DS
Email: ugh really? AOL, Frontier, Hotmail, GMail, Netzero, ect. (too many)
Portable Media Players: iPod Nano 1st Gen (2GB), iPod Video (30GB), Sansa e200 (idk) [All of these devices have Rockbox on them and are AWESOME!]
PDAs: Apple Newton MP120 (I never have gotten that one to work...), Palm IIIc, Palm Tungsten E, Palm Tungsten E2

My everyday use:
PC: Win8Pro
Phone: Lumia 928

Sorry to say, but MS has found my sweet spot.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Phone - Samsung (Yuck!) Galaxy (Yuck!) Grand (Yuck!) "DUOS" YUCK YUCK YUCK! - Lagdroid. (My work requires me to carry this piece of S**t)
Phone 2 - Lumia 820 WP8 <3
Tablet - Apple iPad Mini
Desktop - HP 26" AIO on Windows 8
Work - Dell + Windows 7
Gaming System - Old Sony PSP (I don't even know where it is :p)

So, yes...majority is Windows.

Currently eyeing:

nokia-windows-rt-tablet-leak.jpg

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Right now I have a Z10 as my phone (BB10) and Windows 8 for my laptop. I have tried Android and iOS and I do not like either. My upgrade is up and I plan on going with a Windows Phone as I have never owned one. I am on Verizon and I really hope that a phablet comes our way :). If not, I can only hope that the red 928 is a reality.

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
PC - Win7
Phone - WP8
Tablet - none at the moment (iPad2 got stolen)
Mail - outlook.com
Console - PS3

.... Whatever works best for me.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
iPod Classic (car MP3 player)

LOL, I had a car interface installed for this years ago and can't get away from this device. I also have:

Lumia 920, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2nd gen.
Windows 7 desktop that I assembled, runs Linux & Mac OSX virtually, if that counts

Also in my household:

iPad 4
iPad Mini
iPhone 4S
IPhone 4
3 Windows 8 PCs
Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii & 3DS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have four great mobile OSes at my disposal.
Symbian. iOS. Android. Windows Phone.
I'm stuck on Windows on my laptop, though.

I use what fits me at the moment.

wustlmike19

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Used to be all over the place: os x, win 7, ios, wp8 android. Now I'm pretty much all MSFT.

However, probably going to be getting and HTC one in the near future, so I think I'm going to be fragmenting much like android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa