Platform neutral - Are you one?

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Not a fan boy of any but I definitely do prefer Microsoft/Apple products over Android

While android may be better than it once was (at this point in time I could use a flagship android device, I just don't want to), I also prefer Microsoft/Apple products.

My setup:

Mobile - Lumia 920/iPhone 4S (mostly use the 920)
Laptop - Mac (though my backup computer is a Windows laptop)
Tablet - Surface RT (sold my iPad to get this)
I also keep an iPod touch in the car for music/podcasts.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you'd say I'm platform neutral, or just and addict. I currently use a Lumia 1020 as my daily driver. I also have and use:

Galaxy Note 2
iPad (3rd Gen)
iPod Classic (car MP3 player)
Surface RT (overpriced Kindle reader)
Surface Pro (daily PC for work, with monitor and keyboard for office use)
15" Retina Macbook Pro (bootcamped for gaming)
Homebuilt Win7 PC (Home Beast)

Those are just the ones that still see daily/weekly use. I won't get into my drawer full of old tech. Yeah...I'm not well.

There's a 12 step program for what ails you. But if you're like me, you'll trip and fall on the first one.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much all Microsoft products here, but that is open to change. It is all about what works. I am happy to try new things. Loved WebOS, and HP would have had a very loyal user had it not decided to become jello and not see things through. But, MS has me for now. If I couldn't meet my needs and most my wants, I would move on. Right now, I am happy.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My lineup looks like this:

Primary phone - Nexus 4
2nd line - switch between iPhone 5 & Lumia 521 as the mood strikes
Wife's phone - Galaxy Nexus
2 Tablets
  • Nexus 7 (2012)
  • HP Touchpad dual booting WebOS and Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2
2 Laptops - both Windows 8
Desktop - Windows Home Server 2011

So the final tally is:

Microsoft - 4
Android - 4
WebOS - 1
Apple - 1

That's counting the HP Touchpad as 1 each Android & WebOS. I used it in WebOS some at first, but lately the Android ROM is very, very good after a long time in development. Everything works and it is pretty much bug free. I almost never use WebOS anymore.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My lineup looks like this:

Primary phone - Nexus 4
2nd line - switch between iPhone 5 & Lumia 521 as the mood strikes
Wife's phone - Galaxy Nexus
2 Tablets
  • Nexus 7 (2012)
  • HP Touchpad dual booting WebOS and Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2
2 Laptops - both Windows 8
Desktop - Windows Home Server 2011

So the final tally is:

Microsoft - 4
Android - 4
WebOS - 1
Apple - 1

That's counting the HP Touchpad as 1 each Android & WebOS. I used it in WebOS some at first, but lately the Android ROM is very, very good after a long time in development. Everything works and it is pretty much bug free. I almost never use WebOS anymore.

What ROM are you using on the Touchpad? I'm using Paranoid 2.99 running with Jellybean 4.1.2. I put on 4.2.2 ROMs but wasn't feeling it. I still use it in WebOS but when I don't want to use the G. Nexus, I run it in Android.

I do want a Windows Tab. I'm leaning towards Win 8 outright (like the Asus offerings) but I like the price point for the Surface RT and its full USB port. I may wait a while (get a Bluetooth keyboard for the TP) and go with a Gen 2 Windows 8 tab...

Wobjoi

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of those ******'s that can be a little extreme, but I am changing my ways a little bit.

To demonstrate what I mean, I love MS, use their products and services at home and work as a developer using only their suite of software. My apps are only available on WP. I have banned Apple products at my house (not joking). Actually taking it a step further I am also brand loyal too, so where possible all my appliances / gadgets are by Samsung with the exception of my PS3 and Nokia WP phones.

My other exceptions are that I and my Wife are currently using Android phones (by Samsung of course - GS3). I already have 3 windows phones and my phone provider was able to get me a pair of GS3's on a plan similar to getting a single decent WP's phone, so it was a no brainer really. Besides I could not convince my wife that WP is better than Android.
On a final note I am happy to say that I am impressed with my GS3 and especially the way it works with my Samsung smart TV. I still use my WP's each day (at least one of them anyway). The Nokia hardware is great but I feel the OS is lacking and missing some features that I use regularly on my Android.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm a minimalist, but always have been curious by nature so having played with Symbian (e61), android (Google G1), ios (2g, 3gs), wmobile 6x - rooting, jailbreaking, at one point I had two distros of linux suse and ubuntu running with win xp on my old pc before it died but that was like 5 years ago - it became a shared PC since mine was the fastest and well maintained in the house. So I had to default it to XP as Linux didn't really go down to well with the other members of my family unfortunately lol.

Console wise I have a dreamcast, sega master system, nintendo 64, had a snes, a ps2, ps3, now PS4 and X1 (Day 1 ed) on pre-order.

But I guess these days my minimalist side has taken over due to work so I just have my L920 and my probook 4730s running windows 7 therefore I guess I am no longer platform "neutral".

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm a minimalist, but always have been curious by nature so having played with Symbian (e61), android (Google G1), ios (2g, 3gs), wmobile 6x - rooting, jailbreaking, at one point I had two distros of linux suse and ubuntu running with win xp on my old pc before it died but that was like 5 years ago - it became a shared PC since mine was the fastest and well maintained in the house. So I had to default it to XP as Linux didn't really go down to well with the other members of my family unfortunately lol.

Console wise I have a dreamcast, sega master system, nintendo 64, had a snes, a ps2, ps3, now PS4 and X1 (Day 1 ed) on pre-order.

But I guess these days my minimalist side has taken over due to work so I just have my L920 and my probook 4730s running windows 7 therefore I guess I am no longer platform "neutral".
I ran SUSE from 2010 until a couple months ago this year. Then I switched to Mint.

1ll1TERAT3

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
This is a WP forum, but I am wondering how many people are platform neutral or close to it?

For me, I am currently using a Chinese OEM Android tablet (Pipo M6) as something to try and play with, a Nokia Lumia 920 as my daily driver, uses Windows at work and home. Have to admit as being a Nokia ****** though, so when Nokia makes one of those tablets often touted, I will jump on it straight.

Not an Apple fan at all since iPod days, so I am not exactly neutral. However, Jay from My Nokia Blog uses Macs and iPad, so wondering just how many people are platform neutral.

You could say i have a similar dilemma. I practically hate iOS and I love windows phone and appreciate android. In fact, I have a Lumia 920 and the new Nexus 7 2013. I like wp8 a lot, but at the same time, I sort of also like the nexus devices from google. I'm just going to have to be split I guess.

Julek

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Phone: L820
Laptop: Win8
Music: iPod Mini 3rd gen

I used to own an iPhone 4. I thought I would stick to iOS, but I played a bit with my friend's L710 and I really liked the smoothness of this device. That's why I jumped to L820 and boy I couldn't have made a better decision :smile:

(but still I would like to give the iPad a go :winktongue:)

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Neutral as they get
Phones: lumia928 ,note 2
Tablet: nexus 7 ,Acer w510
Laptop: win 8.1 preview
Desktop: Ubuntu
IPod nano

Yes I ***** and complain about EVERY platform because they all **** me off in some way. If you don't like it don't look. :p

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Neutral as they get
Phones: lumia928 ,note 2
Tablet: nexus 7 ,Acer w510
Laptop: win 8.1 preview
Desktop: Ubuntu
IPod nano

Yes I ***** and complain about EVERY platform because they all **** me off in some way. If you don't like it don't look. :p

You moan and ***** about every platform because..........there is no "perfect" platform. Those of us who switch on a regular basis will likely try Sailfish, Firefox, Ubuntu touch and whatever else comes down the pike. Since none are perfect, new forums will pop up and you'll see new moaning and new ********. New iOS vs. WP8 vs. Sailfish, etc. wars. Looking forward to it already.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You moan and ***** about every platform because..........there is no "perfect" platform. Those of us who switch on a regular basis will likely try Sailfish, Firefox, Ubuntu touch and whatever else comes down the pike. Since none are perfect, new forums will pop up and you'll see new moaning and new ********. New iOS vs. WP8 vs. Sailfish, etc. wars. Looking forward to it already.

and I'll be on those forums moaning and ******** and you'll be there replying. It is part of the techies life.

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Windows fangirl so I guess that's a nope.

Laptop and desktop run Windows 7. Only non-Windows devices I have are my phone, tablet, and a laptop I'm trying PC BSD out on. Hate my phone, love my tablet (but would definitely install RT on it if I could, *sigh*), and the laptop was of my own doing.

Windows (Desktop, Phone, anything NT) best OS(es)!

Please don't flame me, this is only my opinion and I don't want to fight with anyone. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12