Who Likes to Grill or BBQ?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I just used some coconut shell charcoal this weekend from whole foods. Supposedly burns hotter longer (and no trees were harmed lol)
I didnt see much difference, other than a very tarry smell when the coals were getting hot. Seemed about as hot as wood charcoal.

Interesting. I didn't know such charcoal existed! I typically buy Royal Oak or Ozark Oak lump charcoal. Seems to work well enough.

& if you ever get a chance to check out BBQ University the TV SHOW, you should. The host guy is hilarious, he is like the Bob Ross of grilling. Barbecue University?
I assume it comes on the cooking channel, my friends DVRs it a lot when its on.

WARNING: The guy WILL make you hungry.

Steven is awesome. I have a bunch of his Primal Grill shows. I also own his Barbeque Bible.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I use a Grill Dome, but all kamados function basically the same. The only difference in my mind is how long they last. Akorns have insulation between two metal plates. A high insulation value is a common denominator among the kamado style grills. It won't last as long as ceramic and hence won't carry the same warranty, but it should still last a helluva long time at a fraction of the cost.

Welcome to the kamado community!

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I use a Grill Dome, but all kamados function basically the same. The only difference in my mind is how long they last. Akorns have insulation between two metal plates. A high insulation value is a common denominator among the kamado style grills. It won't last as long as ceramic and hence won't carry the same warranty, but it should still last a helluva long time at a fraction of the cost.

Welcome to the kamado community!

Grill Domes are very nice! My dream kamado is the Big Joe from Kamado Joe. Drool!! Maybe in a couple of years I can upgrade from my very competent Akorn to a top-of-the-line ceramic kamado: the Big Joe. We'll see. I expect to get several years of solid use from my Akorn as long as I keep up with the maintenance, which I will.

Are you a member of Kamado Guru? It's a great place to meet other kamado owners.

And just to echo jgbstetson, Naked Whiz, despite the name, is totally safe for work.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off: Fire. Meat.

Yum.

Believe or not, I just love a serious Chuck steak, tons of marbling, just 4-5 minutes each side. I just love how they grill up, and they are often a buck to a buck and a half cheaper.

Love seasoning up bell peppers, red and yellow peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes, wrapping them in tin foil, and just flip them every few minutes for 15-20 minutes. I still want the peppers crunchy. Mmmmmmm....

I am the WORSE at ribs. I just have a hard time with that perfect heat and timing. Practice, practice, practice....

Love salmon, cod, and perch on the grill, too. But it is a delicate balance. i am 60% good, 40% "what is THAT??"

Also, love me some Turkey Burgers on the grill. They tend to be a little dryer, so the grill really sears in what moisture the have and I love the less greasy taste from time to time. Nothing REPLACES a good, goeey burger mind you. Just change it up.

Also- I hate Hot dogs. Hate them. Also have an allergy to onions. The smell makes me run the other way.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
This sucks! Not the thread, I love the this thread! My apartment sucks, because they don't allow us to BBQ on our balcony. I had to purchase one of those grills that sits right on top of my stove.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
This sucks! Not the thread, I love the this thread! My apartment sucks, because they don't allow us to BBQ on our balcony. I had to purchase one of those grills that sits right on top of my stove.

I know what you mean. I lived in apartments for well over a decade and none of them allowed grills. It was terrible. What grill is it that sits on your stove? I haven't seen one of those, I don't think.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Ah ha, I see. Interesting. That would work pretty well on a gas stove, I'd think. The problem is you wouldn't get that charred flavor that only a grill can bestow upon grilled foods. But hey, better than nothing!

Exactly! Not the same, but it comes in handy, especially now that football season has started!

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
haha too bad, i love onions! i could cut a big one in half, grill it till it gets sweet and juicy and just eat it alllll up!

:D

Was hoping to find these lamb sausages today at the whole foods market, but some @sshat came in right before me and bought ALL of them, like 30! I couldnt believe it.

So the trusty back up of NY Strips tomorrow with corn and a BBQ bean salad, yes, bbq bean salad, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
grilled some stuff for tonight's dinner and tomorrow's dinner

whole foods makes a huge variety of their own sausages
they have this one call louisiana hot links chicken sausage
so tasty
grilled a few of those and some breasts of chicken for tomorrow

& a fun little color pop pic for fun
9496603531_372e57335c_b.jpg

9500316948_923b1dfa1e_b.jpg

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sigh I miss BBQing.

Ever since I moved to the UK from Australia I haven't had a BBQ. No apartments allow them here and they don't have communal ones. :(

Hoping to get a house some day soon and get one again though!

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Gosh dang it people, BBQ is a type of food, grilling is a method for cooking.

Stop using the term BBQ to refer to grilling!!. GRRRRRRRR

/rant.

Love grilling steaks and veggies. IMO, nothing beats a ribeye grilled to perfection. Heck, I'd rather eat my own prepared ribeye rather than pay an expensive steakhouse price for a steak that may or may not be good. Too many times, I order a steak "medium" and am given either bloody rare, or burnt to a crisp well done.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Gosh dang it people, BBQ is a type of food, grilling is a method for cooking.

Stop using the term BBQ to refer to grilling!!. GRRRRRRRR

/rant.

Love grilling steaks and veggies. IMO, nothing beats a ribeye grilled to perfection. Heck, I'd rather eat my own prepared ribeye rather than pay an expensive steakhouse price for a steak that may or may not be good. Too many times, I order a steak "medium" and am given either bloody rare, or burnt to a crisp well done.

You must be from the South. I am from NY, and we always called in BBQing. Moved to GA when I was 20, and it was sacrilege.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
yeah im in VA, so can say either :p

You know what tomorrow is???????? SUNDAY

SUNDAY = Grill Day

What to grill?

Suggestions: 3 2 1 go

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members