Suggestions for external HDD

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Gotta buy a new external hard drive, preferably around 1-2 TBs. Any recommendations? I usually buy Western Digital but there's a handful of Seagates that look nice. Or are they both crap and it's all a shot in the dark?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you looking for something portable or is this for desktop? I have the WD passport and it's light and compact as well as quiet and pretty fast since I'm running it over USB 2.0, where it supports USB 3.0.

If it's for desktop, I like the look of the Seagate Backup Plus. I think that's the one with the dock and you can swap out the drives if you need more storage. Kind of like a VHS.

annamircle

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
WD HDD are one the most popular brand, for me i prefer High Density HDD, i have been using HD HDD for about 3 years now when I left WD HDD. Its up to you to choose, we are just providing you options. Good luck. - Integrity Spas

Amal Francis

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a samsung s2 porable 1TB and i am happy with it... I guess smasung HDDs are nice from my experience... Or else my advice would be to go with giants like WD or segate...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got a 500 GB USB 3.0 Seagate portable hard drive and it just died after a couple months. However, after RMA'ing it, my replacement unit is still going strong.

I'd say go for WD, but getting hard drives could still be a gamble. If you're going to use it as backup, be sure to backup the backup as I've learned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea