Moto X Launch Schadenfreude

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit I'm taking a guilty pleasure in seeing the tidal wave of complaints about the Moto X announcement rolling in across tech sites around the web. Just a few samples that made me chuckle:

• "fuuuxxxkkk i've been holding off buying samsung galaxy s4 for this scrap! Moto X... lol... no sd card, no removable battery, and cheap plastic?! WTF?!"
  • "Until Moto improves its reputation for delivering OS updates, I will NEVER buy another Moto phone"
  • "'Google & Motorola thought outside the obvious box'"?! with cheap plastic and less options (no sdcard and battery swap)? I guess less is better for some people! LOL"
  • "For a 'flagship' phone is seems to be rather lacking... "
  • "I am truly disappointed...No..I am PISSED OFF!!!"
  • "Apart from the battery, the only word that comes to mind : DISAPPOINTMENT."
  • "And...No."
As a WP8 user I sometimes forget that people just like to complain no matter what. Maybe I'll take a peek at AndroidCentral and see how bad things are ;)

I'm just poking fun here. I actually think this looks like a nice device. The X8 processor approach is very intriguing. The ability to have true hands-free operation is awesome. These are great times to be a cell phone enthusiast.

muderko

May 28, 2013
Visit site
And Google copied Nokia with the Glance Lockscreen

It is Motorola, not Google. I just checked a video by The Verge in which Motorola emphasized that they are totally own their own but for strategic plans!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EvilFiek

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that I find the Moto X in general underwhelming. Maybe my expectations were too high but I was thinking that with the Moto X being the first "real" Google phone, they would break new ground. The "always listening" capabilities do seem nice, but it seems like something any other mobile phone or mobile phone platform for that matter could implement in a matter of weeks if they really wanted to. I think no one has done it before, simply because voice control, while it seems nice and definitely has it's advantages (perfect for when you are driving your car! it's appeal is limited. It is, in essence, a gimmick, especially because talking to your phone is still not something widely accepted.

I also doubt how seamless the experience is going to be. When I do use voice control on my mobile, for example, to dictate a short SMS or a search term, there are still instances where I have to go from hands-free to hands-on to correct mistakes. Doesn't happen often, but it does. I don't think Google's tech in that regard is more advanced than Microsoft's (or Apple's, for that matter) so whenever someone has to type something in because their "self driving phone" mistook cache for cake, it will definitely mar the experience.

It does seem like a decent phone, but compared to current flagships like the S3/S4, One X, Oppa Find, the current Apple device and obviously the 92X/1020, I don't see the Moto X as a challenger, but more as an also-ran. As someone who wants the Windows Phone platform to succeed, I was afraid that Google would deliver in a big way, with innovations and in general killer features, but I don't see those with the Moto X and I seriously doubt it's ability to challenge Samsung in the Android market space. Maybe Google should've developed a WP device. Less competition and they might just have a chance to establish themselves in our eco-system :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes