Apple propaganda?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
To me, Apple over simplifies things to the point where they become more complex... Like that video someone posted the other day... apple macbook wheel - Bing Videos

I realize it is fake, but that is what apple does, they take away things (simplify) and burry them so deep to get to them is a pain (complex). I can't stand when I have to boot my Macbook to OSX to update an iOS app.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Movies are available in all formats , you just picked on one format.We are speaking of "movie revenue as a whole" which includes Digital downloads , Box office , BlueRay/DVD etc.

Ahh I see ok - so we still have a single book but yet you also have digital downloads, cinemas, blu rays - all things giving you the same thing over and over that you have to pay for over and over - perfect example of Apple self cannibalism with devices and profiteering - thanks for pointing that out Sanjay.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Ahh I see ok - so we still have a single book but yet you also have digital downloads, cinemas, blu rays - all things giving you the same thing over and over that you have to pay for over and over - perfect example of Apple self cannibalism with devices and profiteering - thanks for pointing that out Sanjay.

That's how world works , A movie is better than a book because its more lively and appealing to people. You can argue 100 things about books but you can't change the world.You have to live with the fact how world lives or bring something revolutionary.

You can sell a digital download of a movie for 3 times price compared to a book's price but still movie its going to sell and bring more revenue (even though the movie is based on that very book).
The same movie may already been watched by people but on digital content/DVD you can get extra stuff which is not available in theatres just like special edition of books.

If there's a world where there are no laptops or ultrabooks , Devices like Surface pro succeeds but that's not the world we live.

Or its has to be sold less than iPad's price to compete which is senseless.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's how world works , A movie is better than a book because its more lively and appealing to people. You can argue 100 things about books but you can't change the world.You have to live with the fact how world lives or bring something revolutionary.

You can sell a digital download of a movie for 3 times price compared to a book's price but still movie its going to sell and bring more revenue (even though the movie is based on that very book).
The same movie may already been watched by people but on digital content/DVD you can get extra stuff which is not available in theatres just like special edition of books.

If there's a world where there are no laptops or ultrabooks , Devices like Surface pro succeeds but that's not the world we live.

A movie appeals to more people because it only lasts a few hours and doesn't require any intelligence to view.

You want to talk revolutionary? Look at how many books started revolutions. How many films in the history of man have done the same.

In a world where people didn't believe the hype and made their own choices instead of following the herd then Apples products wouldn't stand a chance.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

If movies are so much better than books, why do students have to read books in their school English and literature classes?

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
C C C C C Combo Breaker!!!
I am going to break the string of bash Sanjay:)

But it is uncanny the level of glorification I see. Sometimes, I wonder if I just haven't been properly indoctrinated yet:)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line is Apple are on there 4th or 5th generation of ipads and 7th to 8th on phones. Both have got thinner, lighter, more powerful, more expensive while still running the same gazillion apps and providing the same experience and they've milked everyone.
Using your film analogy if ive got to compare Apple to a movie its got to be Police Academy. So many versions and they got progressively more boring. Yeah they are fun for a few minutes then you realise its the same old stuff

Surface comes along and brings more new stuff to the table in its first iteration than apple have managed to milk you for in buying the latest and greatest for the same experience the last 4 years.

I mean Apple have had how many attempts at a tablet and they still cant split screen multitask?? How many attempts and there's still no integrated kickstand?? You going to tell me there isn't an app for that???

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a third generation iPad and i like it, but it feels like a nicely wraped experience that tries to hypnotize people with slick and pleasing UI, at the same time being stubborn not to offer really new and groundbreaking things (dividing screen on W8).

There's a lot of blame to go around:

• The press writes biased articles which are meant to generate "ad-clicks".
  • The readers check out the articles and swallow every word without exercising any critical thinking.
  • Wall Street pumps the products to high heaven, in order to increase the company's stock price.
  • Consumers buy the products, despite the exorbitant price and lack of keyboard, Ethernet, HDMI, USB, microSD and Flash!
  • People -- like yourself -- go online to write posts damning the product that they've admitted to own.

iPad is something like that.It doesn't offer everything (like the book) but It offers exactly what people want (like a movie).

I have a different analogy:

A guy builds a "vehicle" for $50. He manages to keep his production costs down by removing "non-essential" components from the vehicle such as: doors, windshield, passenger seats, trunk and air-conditioning. He touts his vehicle as the thinnest and most innovative ever made! He calls his vehicle a "car" and prices it at $1,000, claiming it's an absolute bargain! His marketing department convinces people that this so-called "car" is gonna make everyone look hip and cool. Result? Huge profits!

Bicycle.jpg

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line is Apple are on there 4th or 5th generation of ipads and 7th to 8th on phones. Both have got thinner, lighter, more powerful, more expensive while still running the same gazillion apps and providing the same experience and they've milked everyone.
Using your film analogy if ive got to compare Apple to a movie its got to be Police Academy. So many versions and they got progressively more boring. Yeah they are fun for a few minutes then you realise its the same old stuff

Surface comes along and brings more new stuff to the table in its first iteration than apple have managed to milk you for in buying the latest and greatest for the same experience the last 4 years.

I mean Apple have had how many attempts at a tablet and they still cant split screen multitask?? How many attempts and there's still no integrated kickstand?? You going to tell me there isn't an app for that???

Here's the deal:

People are stupid (statistically speaking, with a sample size of anything > 1M)

People don't like change.

People like simple things.

People don't like complex things.

People buy devices that do things they WANT to do.

Put all that together and you have a world wherein a less-capable yet simpler device like the iPad murders the Surface in terms of sales and profits.

So yeah, the Surface can do Ethernet, HDMI, SD, keyboard, x86 apps, etc etc etc. The truth is, nobody gives a flying ****. People want to browse the web, do email, watch video and maybe use a few apps on their tablets. iPads do what people want. MS screwed the pooch by releasing a far more capable tablet for ~2x the price that nobody (statistically speaking) wanted.

In conclusion, people are the problem. If MS wants the Surface line to succeed, they must immediately invest huge amounts of money in education, thus ensuring that the next few generations will be composed of rational, logical & analytical thinkers who will look at function over form, and thus buy MS products. OR they might realise that in reality, all they need can be done by an iPad, and they don't really need an x64 PC masquerading as a tablet. That's just a risk SteveB will have to take.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Also, the real bottom line is that Apple has sold what I believe are a bazillion iPads, next to which the Surface sales are a rounding error. I am not disputing which device is objectively better; but the sales figures cannot be ignored.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm still curious how well apple will be doing a couple of years from now... they seem to be starting on a downward spiral... and they can't bring Jobs back to fix it this time.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
If movies are so much better than books, why do students have to read books in their school English and literature classes?

If you look at schools , they are now starting to use interactive forms of things like iPads , Presentations etc all forms of digital equipment because they know that having visual experience will spark interest and keep them engaging.

They found that using iPads/Interactive forms have improved students results by 20%

Books are always for reference purpose.

If books are everything , then why are teachers coming and teaching to the students ? because answer is simple.

A book doesn't appeal as much as audio experience or video experience.

If someone is looking for a high end job , any company prefers to have a person with practical knowledge and industrial experience rather than a person who has bookish knowledge.

That must tell you , how much importance books have.They are only meant for reference in case a person forgets something or want to re-look etc.

Speaking of literature , You can read as much literature as possible and read 100's of vocabulary books.

but none of them beat practical experience i.e coming in front of many people and speaking easily and engaging audience.

Can a student who is good at reading can be a great speaker ? Answer is no because communication skills require much more than reading skills/literature knowledge.

Literature is just for knowing the usage of language i.e reference.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you look at schools , they are now starting to use interactive forms of things like iPads , Presentations etc all forms of digital equipment because they know that having visual experience will spark interest and keep them engaging.

Books are always for reference purpose.

If books are everything , then why are teachers coming and teaching to the students ? because answer is simple.

A book doesn't appeal as much as audio experience or video experience.

Much of the interactive experiences are the detriment of modern education. Kids want to be constantly engaged and cannot sit still and read like they did in previous generations, since their attention spans are lacking due to the constant visual stimulation they've received since infancy.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

Really dude, a kick stand makes the surface perfect. Have you guys any idea what people do on their ipads? I know people who pretty much hate to use their computer because it's challenging and find no problems with and in fact enjoy using their iPad. They can check their email, Facebook (now rather trans generational), look at Netflix and make video calls with Skype and face time, and no they don't need to do it all at the same time.

Apple got a wider variety of people to enjoy their product with what to out of touch geeks seem to be over simplified. Few of these folks would want to fiddle with split screens and what not. Try to open your eyes and realize that some people who buy tech may not be as tech literate as you think you are. Apple doesn't need to change much or they would loose a big part of their customer base. Should a person want to fiddle with split screens and office and whatever, they have a great variety of options from MSFT and Google yo choose from. Should someone who uses apple because they enjoy the ecosystem decide to change because boredom, they too have many options. Everyone doesn't have to offer the same things.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6