Apple propaganda?

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Much of the interactive experiences are the detriment of modern education. Kids want to be constantly engaged and cannot sit still and read like they did in previous generations, since their attention spans are lacking due to the constant visual stimulation they've received since infancy.

The problem isn't the kids. Its the archaic education system. We continue to try and teach 21st century minds with 20th century ideals. Interactive experiences should be a part of modern education. You can't claim to have a global and technical world and not have our education system be apart of that.

With that being said, I think the whole idea that everyone is brainwashed by Apple is a bit dramatic

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think people here have forgotten all the bashing Apple received before the iPad actually went on sale.

Remember all of the "over sized iPod " jokes and their variations?

Then the product came out and the rest is history.

People were saying "oh, it doesn't have a USB port, it'll never sell!" .

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't disagree more. My surface does everything I need and more. There is no way an ipad could come close. Surface offers so much more. Maybe if you weren't so mad at Microsoft in every thread, you might see it.

Same thing for me. I most certainly can't take my Windows desktop PC with me to the university and work, Surface I however can't and it actually delivers the productivity that iPad wouldn't get even close to. At "off times" it also doubles as a tablet, even if perhaps not as good as a consumption device as iPad, it still does 90% of what I need from it as a consumption device, so to say it's "bad" at it is just wrong. Just cos it isn't the best doesn't mean it's bad.

While I personally love my Surface, I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for apps and games. Luckily I have no interest for either really as a flash enabled browser with full USB2 port does a lot more to me than having to download an app to do one thing. As for gaming, don't really care for mobile gaming.

At home I can also so effortlessly remote control my Windows 8 PC, run all legacy apps and not even notice I'm doing it on remote control :p

The iPad is a great device and has earned the sales it has gotten, but I could sadly never justify buying one. I have no interest in a purely consumption device.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Much of the interactive experiences are the detriment of modern education. Kids want to be constantly engaged and cannot sit still and read like they did in previous generations, since their attention spans are lacking due to the constant visual stimulation they've received since infancy.

Indeed.

That's why movies give better revenue than books even though books offer tiniest details which are missed by movies.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
There's a lot of blame to go around:

• The press writes biased articles which are meant to generate "ad-clicks".
  • The readers check out the articles and swallow every word without exercising any critical thinking.
  • Wall Street pumps the products to high heaven, in order to increase the company's stock price.
  • Consumers buy the products, despite the exorbitant price and lack of keyboard, Ethernet, HDMI, USB, microSD and Flash!
  • People -- like yourself -- go online to write posts damning the product that they've admitted to own.

I have a different analogy:

A guy builds a "vehicle" for $50. He manages to keep his production costs down by removing "non-essential" components from the vehicle such as: doors, windshield, passenger seats, trunk and air-conditioning. He touts his vehicle as the thinnest and most innovative ever made! He calls his vehicle a "car" and prices it at $1,000, claiming it's an absolute bargain! His marketing department convinces people that this so-called "car" is gonna make everyone look hip and cool. Result? Huge profits!

Yes , its simple and easy.
That's exactly what Apple uses as logic.

Cycle is also good for health , right ? You can market it in 1000 ways.
Things you said about cycle is true , there is no brainwashing in that.
It offers exactly what being advertised.I don't see how that's brainwashing.

I never seen Apple showing an Ad as hipsters except Nokia/Samsung who encourage that mentality.

Except the fact you forgot many things , like Industrial Design and Quality of the service and longer software updates , more better quality apps etc.

For example , if you purchase OS X Mavericks for $20 , you also get fonts worth $1000 which many people don't see.

Don't see Apple products as hardware wrapped in a package but look at services offered and user experience.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Really dude, a kick stand makes the surface perfect. Have you guys any idea what people do on their ipads? I know people who pretty much hate to use their computer because it's challenging and find no problems with and in fact enjoy using their iPad. They can check their email, Facebook (now rather trans generational), look at Netflix and make video calls with Skype and face time, and no they don't need to do it all at the same time.

Apple got a wider variety of people to enjoy their product with what to out of touch geeks seem to be over simplified. Few of these folks would want to fiddle with split screens and what not. Try to open your eyes and realize that some people who buy tech may not be as tech literate as you think you are. Apple doesn't need to change much or they would loose a big part of their customer base. Should a person want to fiddle with split screens and office and whatever, they have a great variety of options from MSFT and Google yo choose from. Should someone who uses apple because they enjoy the ecosystem decide to change because boredom, they too have many options. Everyone doesn't have to offer the same things.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

A kick stand makes it more useful and saves me from buying a proprietary cover/stand but it doesn't make the surface perfect by a long shot. I had an ipad2 until I got my Surface RT so I know full well what people use ipads for. And to be honest having used both its so refreshing to not have to stop editing a document to take a Skype call. Or to stop watching a film to check and respond to emails, or to have to keep flicking between my facebook and twitter pages. I can do what I need to without having to stop something else.

Apple got a wider variety of people to enjoy tablets because they were first to successfully market the product - at the time they had no competition and with the Apple propaganda machine in full effect that wider variety of people just lapped it up. As you say there are now multiple options available and this thread was never about which device is better for you, me or joe public.

This thread just proves the point that apple propaganda is still in force everywhere. Maybe more so now with the company losing market share and mindshare of the simple, tech illiterate public they first wooed.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
A kick stand makes it more useful and saves me from buying a proprietary cover/stand but it doesn't make the surface perfect by a long shot. I had an ipad2 until I got my Surface RT so I know full well what people use ipads for. And to be honest having used both its so refreshing to not have to stop editing a document to take a Skype call. Or to stop watching a film to check and respond to emails, or to have to keep flicking between my facebook and twitter pages. I can do what I need to without having to stop something else.

Apple got a wider variety of people to enjoy tablets because they were first to successfully market the product - at the time they had no competition and with the Apple propaganda machine in full effect that wider variety of people just lapped it up. As you say there are now multiple options available and this thread was never about which device is better for you, me or joe public.

This thread just proves the point that apple propaganda is still in force everywhere. Maybe more so now with the company losing market share and mindshare of the simple, tech illiterate public they first wooed.

So are you saying it would have been better if they lapped up MSFT propaganda? Its not about propaganda, its because Apple made a product that people like. There is no secret brain washing program going on. Aplple's customer satisfaction is high, because people enjoy using their device. My father is not a tech head and the iPhone 4 was his first smartphone and he found easy to use. But he finds my Nexus 7 annoying to use because things are not as straight forward. The same goes for my in laws, who love iPads.

There is very small learning curve for most apples devices, and that makes them interesting for a certain segment of the population. I Dont like windows anymore, in fact I sold my Windows machine because I didn't not like Windows 8 and its useless in my way Modern UI, but I love Android but I must admit that its not going to be for everyone, and neither would windows 8 because there is a learning curve that many people would be interested in learning. IMHO at least.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
But people are overcharged for underpowered devices when they go with apple... And they seem to love doing so. And line up for it too... Granted, I'm talking more from a computer side of the fence.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Cycle is also good for health , right ? You can market it in 1000 ways.
Things you said about cycle is true , there is no brainwashing in that.
It offers exactly what being advertised.I don't see how that's brainwashing.

You missed the point of my analogy -- willingly, I suppose. Apple sells bikes for the prices of cars, then convinces people to brag about their "investment". How is that different from the $300 designer jeans that sell at the mall, but whose manufacturing takes place in Honduras at the cost of $1 a piece? Or the expensive glasses that sell for $400 -- without the lenses, mind you -- despite costing peanuts to be manufactured? Or the HDMI cables sold by Monster Cables for $100+? It's obvious that, if challenged, the individuals who buy such items would turn and twist and come up with ingenious ways to rationalize their "investments".

Apple sold the first 3 generations of the iPod with batteries that were designed to die after 18 months and whose replacement cost $300 (the device itself cost $500 back then). An abject case of Planned Obsolescence! And they made the iPad without HDMI, USB, microSD, Flash and, on the first model, there was no camera either (at a time when even a $50 feature-phone from RadioShack had cameras). They have no incentive to add such features as they can omit them and have much higher margins. To me, the relationship between Apple and its apologists (that's you, mate) is a form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Well, here's an oldie but funny to end my part in this discussion. :smile:

f50cxl.jpg

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
But people are overcharged for underpowered devices when they go with apple... And they seem to love doing so. And line up for it too... Granted, I'm talking more from a computer side of the fence.

Or for the average Apple user, their devices are sufficient enough. At the end of the day, whether something is worth its the time or cost is a subjective and personal thing.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The Surface is a cautionary tale of what Microsoft continues to do to shoot itself in the foot.
Apple will most likely continue to dominate the tablet space for years to come because of so many reasons not the least of witch is a simple concept:

Work Smart. Not hard.

You can list all of the limitations a typical iPad has all day. That's not the point. Apple has backed up their mind share and slick marketing with a simple and undeniable fact. The things their products can do? They do it better than anyone else.

Quality build? Check.
Seamless integration of CPU & OS? Check. VAST app store full of QUALITY apps? Check.

Microsoft needs to go whole hog & stop compromising if they intend to get a toehold in the tablet space. That means pushing functional updates with new features and bug fixes FAST. That means cutting edge hardware optimized to run RT or full Windows 8 with no lag or bugginess.

No matter how many things the Surface can do that iPads can't it doesn't mean a darn thing if what the Surface does is not done well.

Make superior tech as aesthetically pleasing as possible, undercut Apples overpriced hardware as much as possible, stop dragging your feet with app and content developers and above all make devices that just WORK. Right out of the box. No compromises.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
To the poster that said the ipad was simple to use for viewing email, browsing internet using facebook etc, while not needing the complexity of a PC - well how hard is it to do those things on a surface (or any Win8 tablet)?

Let's see you just power on the device and from the start screen click whatever you want to open. Swipe down to close. It's simple really. But hey if you wanted to do more you're not limited and everyone loves extra features.

The Apple shills have been brainwashed into thinking that if it doesn't have an Apple logo you need a computer science degree to operate it properly. If your old relative can setup and ipad then he/she can most likely setup an Android or Win8 tablet.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
To the poster that said the ipad was simple to use for viewing email, browsing internet using facebook etc, while not needing the complexity of a PC - well how hard is it to do those things on a surface (or any Win8 tablet)?...

...The Apple shills have been brainwashed into thinking that if it doesn't have an Apple logo you need a computer science degree to operate it properly. If your old relative can setup and ipad then he/she can most likely setup an Android or Win8 tablet.

Or how hard is a PC to use... With win 8, it's the same game ;)

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't own many apple products (I do have an iPad, but that's it) but I do respect what they do. The devotion of their fans is a bit extreme, but overall its great that the tech industry has such competition.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, claiming Apple has paid tech sites off to praise their products is quite silly. First of all, why would the company care about what tech sites post or believe, especially when most of them are small and relatively unknown? Second, not to take anything away from Microsoft, but Apple's products ARE Top quality. I own five of its devices, and my MacBook Pro was one of the best purchases I've ever made, period.

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Maybe Microsoft should start to build their own notebooks... :wink: Beatiful, well designed and put together devices sold with a a resonable price. Hope that next-gen Surface tablets will start to sell really well. Redesing those aweful Windows 8/Phone Stores, deliver quality apps/games and spin the marketing inferno. For me it looks like Microsoft doesn't see or doesen't want to see how profitable and important are tablet/smartphone markets nowadays.

The thing with Apple. I really like my iPad 3, and would love to own MBP 13 Retina, but its price is a killer for me (almost 2000 dollars here in Poland). For about 1300 $ I could have a beatiful Sony Pro 13 with brilliant full HD screen, 128 SSD Drive, Intel Hashwell all put into extra slick and light unibody.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't own many apple products (I do have an iPad, but that's it) but I do respect what they do. The devotion of their fans is a bit extreme, but overall its great that the tech industry has such competition.

What would you say about MSFT or BBRY fans' devotion? Apple makes really nice products that work really well. I have a Nexus 7 to scratch my incessasant Android itch, but iOS though much more limited works so much better. And not to sound like a stuck the apps are light years ahead, the look and work a lot better. Plus there are a few I can't even get on my Nexus. Yes apple has a following but many new people are finding them and sticking with them because they like the experience albeit the cost.

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has great potential with Win8/WP8 and Xbox One. Don't now if Ballmer is to blame in terms of really slow integration between Win 8 ans WP8, but once we have a perfectly working ecosystem between all Redmond's devices things should be much better. It's a real shame that we don't have an official YouTube app (one we have is pathetic, second we had was superb but put down due Google request) and i can't buy games for my Xbox 360 straight from my WP8 Xbox app. Yeah, games - look how many high quality mobile games Apple has in their offer, many people enjoy gaming on their smartphones and tablets. What we have? Halo: Spartan Assault is nice, Angry Birds are everywhere, where's Deus Ex: The Fall, GTA III and so on?

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has great potential with Win8/WP8 and Xbox One. Don't now if Ballmer is to blame in terms of really slow integration between Win 8 ans WP8, but once we have a perfectly working ecosystem between all Redmond's devices things should be much better. It's a real shame that we don't have an official YouTube app (one we have is pathetic, second we had was superb but put down due Google request) and i can't buy games for my Xbox 360 straight from my WP8 Xbox app. Yeah, games - look how many high quality mobile games Apple has in their offer, many people enjoy gaming on their smartphones and tablets. What we have? Halo: Spartan Assault is nice, Angry Birds are everywhere, where's Deus Ex: The Fall, GTA III and so on?

If MSFT makes a serious push with Xbox games and their other computing platforms, they would clean up the market...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs