Geo Tagging. Is it something that can be disabled on WP?

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Shut off Location Services in Settings. I still take most of my pics with a pocket camera and post them after I get home, so no Geo data, and they are after the fact anyway.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Go to setting -> photos+camera -> uncheck "include location info in pictures I take"

I have an app on my phone that grabs this data from pictures....I like to snoop once in a while!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. and Whew! Good to know that devs are not behind on this one. Thanks mase. I recognize others will see this video and have the same questions. We need to put this one to rest early.

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
lol. I have seen so many people sharing this video online. first thing I do in all my phones is turn that off. I will not have that info in my uploaded pictures.If I want to say where I am I will do so in the caption. Iocation is on be default in most phones and most people do not know to turn it off. I also do not have location enabled for twitter.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
For the most part, I don't care if people know where I am, so I leave Location Services on. It helps with searches, directions, tracking my bike rides, etc. If there is a reason I don't want it on, I shut it off. My situation is such that it doesn't matter that much: My sons are grown so I don't worry about any kind of predators breaking into their rooms (actually, I kind of *want* them out of the house eventually, but no hurry yet :p ). When my wife and I are out of town, my sons are usually at home keeping an eye on things and when no one is home, there are still the dogs and the alarm system.

But back to the original post- that video: If you don't understand the tech and it scares you, don't use it. Learn how to shut it off and keep it off. But it shouldn't be a surprise to people that their phones are also tracking devices and they actually record location data.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
For the most part, I don't care if people know where I am, so I leave Location Services on. It helps with searches, directions, tracking my bike rides, etc. If there is a reason I don't want it on, I shut it off. My situation is such that it doesn't matter that much: My sons are grown so I don't worry about any kind of predators breaking into their rooms (actually, I kind of *want* them out of the house eventually, but no hurry yet :p ). When my wife and I are out of town, my sons are usually at home keeping an eye on things and when no one is home, there are still the dogs and the alarm system.

But back to the original post- that video: If you don't understand the tech and it scares you, don't use it. Learn how to shut it off and keep it off. But it shouldn't be a surprise to people that their phones are also tracking devices and they actually record location data.

Its not that simple. No one here is afraid of "the grid". But no one wants to take that libertarian position when it comes to protection of family. This is one of those issues where people with someone to protect. You may not care about things like that where your family is concerned. but many parents are. Some might opt to be a little more aware of the technology and take care of who may or may not be watching. I would hate it to have a web site track my child down because I posted pictures of their birthday party on the net.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Most security experts will tell you that you shouldn't post pictures of anything on a social site until after the event. For example - posting pictures after you are back from vacation. This way the information is less important.

Let's also remember that a big reason for having location on pictures is for sorting purposes. Say you are on a European vacation, traveling from country to country and take 400 pictures. By using location, a program can sort the pictures by your different stops. That would be extremely useful to a lot people.

I didn't watch the video so I don't know if they covered this, but this tech is also in a lot of regular cameras for the reason I stated above.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Its not that simple. No one here is afraid of "the grid". But no one wants to take that libertarian position when it comes to protection of family. This is one of those issues where people with someone to protect. You may not care about things like that where your family is concerned. but many parents are. Some might opt to be a little more aware of the technology and take care of who may or may not be watching. I would hate it to have a web site track my child down because I posted pictures of their birthday party on the net.

I wasn't implying my situation is somehow universal.

Most security experts will tell you that you shouldn't post pictures of anything on a social site until after the event. For example - posting pictures after you are back from vacation. This way the information is less important.

Let's also remember that a big reason for having location on pictures is for sorting purposes. Say you are on a European vacation, traveling from country to country and take 400 pictures. By using location, a program can sort the pictures by your different stops. That would be extremely useful to a lot people.

I didn't watch the video so I don't know if they covered this, but this tech is also in a lot of regular cameras for the reason I stated above.

For the most part I take pics with a camera and post them after the fact. I occasionally "check in" with a picture, but the point of the check-in is to tell people where I am and what I'm doing, so the fact that the picture EXIF data happens to give location info is kind of mute; I'm already sharing that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234