32 Seconds To Assemble A Phone

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
There was a breakdown I saw of the iPhone at Foxconn a while back (3-4 years ago) and it wasn't much better. I think it said labor cost was like $12 to assemble an iPhone. Workers were making around $2 an hour, but got charged for meals and dormitory rent, so their net pay was really low.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
There was a breakdown I saw of the iPhone at Foxconn a while back (3-4 years ago) and it wasn't much better. I think it said labor cost was like $12 to assemble an iPhone. Workers were making around $2 an hour, but got charged for meals and dormitory rent, so their net pay was really low.

Glad this type of thing isn't legal in the US. There is a reason it is illegal for employers to pay employees with credit toward a company store.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Paying workers with debit cards is becoming more common, and it amounts to the same thing.

As for the 32 seconds, I'd be interested in seeing what, exactly is accomplished in 32 seconds. Probably a final assembly step- throw a finished assembly in, add the battery, snap it together.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Paying workers with debit cards is becoming more common, and it amounts to the same thing.

As for the 32 seconds, I'd be interested in seeing what, exactly is accomplished in 32 seconds. Probably a final assembly step- throw a finished assembly in, add the battery, snap it together.

I have never heard of a company that only pays in debit cards. Usually it is either/or check direct deposit. Any example?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Probably for a fee.

Let's say this is true. If I were a major bank, and it made financial sense, I would cover the cost for the person to transfer the money to our bank. Not only would you get great press, but you probably would get some loyal customers.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Let's say this is true. If I were a major bank, and it made financial sense, I would cover the cost for the person to transfer the money to our bank. Not only would you get great press, but you probably would get some loyal customers.

What you said makes a lot of sense, but that's not how banks think.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Isn't that the same reason though that banks started covering a certain amount of ATM fees every month? To win over customers?

If they thought that way they would be doing it to all the people getting paid on a debit card. The bottom line for a bank is how much money they make, not how happy people are.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If they thought that way they would be doing it to all the people getting paid on a debit card. The bottom line for a bank is how much money they make, not how happy people are.

I know that. That is why I put "and it made financial sense" in the post when I wrote it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99