Obama Admin wants to raise your cell phone bill

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A proposal has been put set that would raise your cell phone bill about $5 a year. They claim the money would go toward bringing broadband internet access to schools.

Once again, instead of learning how to budget, more taxes becomes the answer.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That seems about right. Why SHOULDN'T an adult who pays extra to send a kid to private school be then taxed against his will to pay for Internet service in a public school that he already gets taxed for, despite the fact that he will not benefit from this because he is an adult (and not in school) and his kids are going to a private school that won't benefit from these taxes. This is the society we live in...

How moronic it was when I got the registration renewal for my license plates, only to see that they raised the cost by $2 (to $101) because they needed the money for the PARKS. Seriously, why is my car registration paying for the parks? Am I now allowed to drive through the swings? Stupid, tax-happy loons.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Man don't get me started on this subject. Lets talk about phones.:) Keith you hit the nail on the head. Its just legal theft, it's not supposed to make sense. If you have your own business you would think your dealing with the mob.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That seems about right. Why SHOULDN'T an adult who pays extra to send a kid to private school be then taxed against his will to pay for Internet service in a public school that he already gets taxed for, despite the fact that he will not benefit from this because he is an adult (and not in school) and his kids are going to a private school that won't benefit from these taxes. This is the society we live in...

How moronic it was when I got the registration renewal for my license plates, only to see that they raised the cost by $2 (to $101) because they needed the money for the PARKS. Seriously, why is my car registration paying for the parks? Am I now allowed to drive through the swings? Stupid, tax-happy loons.

i think public schools should be funded by everyone. That said, cell phones have nothing to do with broadband for school.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The rich, are the most selfish.

Unfair analysis altogether. To assume that wealth equals selfishness or selfishness equals wealth are just wrong. It's also a ridiculous claim to say that because taxpayers expect fiscal responsibility, or for those who CAN work to try to, they are selfish.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
i think public schools should be funded by everyone. That said, cell phones have nothing to do with broadband for school.

I don't. I think it's unjust (rather than "unfair") to say that someone should have to pay taxes for the education of others' kids when that person is already being borderline-forced into paying an exorbitant amount for private school because of personal beliefs. I think it's simple that if you wish to partake in the public education system, you should have to pay in. However, if you're going to force EVERYONE to pay in, then they should have the common decency to allow an equal opportunity to learn (which they don't).

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Raising Cell phone bills for broadband is almost like raising car prices to bring fruit into supermarkets!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
A proposal has been put set that would raise your cell phone bill about $5 a year. They claim the money would go toward bringing broadband internet access to schools.

Once again, instead of learning how to budget, more taxes becomes the answer.

I understand that American's have this issue with taxes and so on but just to clarify, you're making noise about a 'tax' that will cost you just over 1 cent a day to help bring broadband to schools?

Lets keep in mind that in American they've been reducing education funding for years. That's not a good thing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't. I think it's unjust (rather than "unfair") to say that someone should have to pay taxes for the education of others' kids when that person is already being borderline-forced into paying an exorbitant amount for private school because of personal beliefs. I think it's simple that if you wish to partake in the public education system, you should have to pay in. However, if you're going to force EVERYONE to pay in, then they should have the common decency to allow an equal opportunity to learn (which they don't).

So what happens when you don't have kids, like me? Do I get tax breaks for having no kids? Nope. Do I get any breaks at all being married with no kids? Nope. So why should it be different because you 'choose' to send your kids to a private school? I lived in Australia and they have tax breaks and give tax money to private schools, something a lot of people are against. You know what's happened to public schools? They're going down the dumps. What's happening to private schools? They're becoming standard that everyone wants to achieve. Not everyone can afford to send their kids to private schools. It's a luxury. I feel that good quality education should be free to everyone and I mean that to the highest level. If you can afford to send your kids to private school for a 'better' education, congrats. Don't take it away from those who can't. We should all have some level of social responsibility.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I understand that American's have this issue with taxes and so on but just to clarify, you're making noise about a 'tax' that will cost you just over 1 cent a day to help bring broadband to schools?

Lets keep in mind that in American they've been reducing education funding for years. That's not a good thing.

Education for funding, on a per student basis, has continuously gone up and up every year. Funding, per student, is now 3-4 times what it was in the late 70's/early 80's and the education has gotten worse in most places...not better. A quality education comes from having a good teacher using solid education principles. Nowadays most schools have assistants for teachers, assistants for the several administrators, and guidance counselors for elementary students (really...I'm not making this up). It's absurd. Then they try all these new ideas to teach instead of sticking to what we used to do very successfully. There are a number of reasons why this has happened, and why education in most places isn't what it used to be, but funding is NOT one of them.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Education for funding, on a per student basis, has continuously gone up and up every year. Funding, per student, is now 3-4 times what it was in the late 70's/early 80's and the education has gotten worse in most places...not better. A quality education comes from having a good teacher using solid education principles. Nowadays most schools have assistants for teachers, assistants for the several administrators, and guidance counselors for elementary students (really...I'm not making this up). It's absurd. Then they try all these new ideas to teach instead of sticking to what we used to do very successfully. There are a number of reasons why this has happened, and why education in most places isn't what it used to be, but funding is NOT one of them.

The funding situation is a bit more complex than I personally thought it was. I found this study which is interesting - Educational Leadership:Beyond Instructional Leadership:Unequal School Funding in the United States

However the key thing appears to be that in a lot of schools in the US a teacher is a low paying position unlike many other countries where it's considered a professional position. So yes you are correct in your assessment to some degree but it would appear the problem is rather complex overall.

Not sure how we went from a person complaining about $5 a year on mobile phone bills to education but such is the internet.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Are you saying a lack of funds isn't an issue in education, but the distribution of these funds?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro