Obama Admin wants to raise your cell phone bill

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying a lack of funds isn't an issue in education, but the distribution of these funds?

I think, though I'm not sure, they're going on about what is being taught and how it should be taught. They are right that having a 'good' teacher makes a world of difference. The issue is more complex these days. Teaching is under pressure from several different factors so you end up losing quality education due to lack of quality teachers.

If you check out that link I posted it goes into some detail about the issues surrounding education. I think the main one is that teaching is no longer seen as a profession worth considering in some parts of the country so you no longer get the 'best' teachers. They are woefully underpaid.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I understand that American's have this issue with taxes and so on but just to clarify, you're making noise about a 'tax' that will cost you just over 1 cent a day to help bring broadband to schools?

Lets keep in mind that in American they've been reducing education funding for years. That's not a good thing.

It all adds up though. A little here, a little there, alot here.....Our government has become too big, too wasteful, too powerful. Their answer to nearly everything is new programs, more taxes. They're crooks. And I don't care how other countries do things, but I want less government, and less of a nanny state. The US is heading in the wrong direction

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It all adds up though. A little here, a little there, alot here.....Our government has become too big, too wasteful, too powerful. Their answer to nearly everything is new programs, more taxes. They're crooks. And I don't care how other countries do things, but I want less government, and less of a nanny state. The US is heading in the wrong direction

That's your point of view. You were brought up in the country and have those views. I've lived in four different countries and seen a lot of the world. My view is my view.

As for wrong direction there's a lot more wrong in the US then simply a $5 tariff on your mobile phone bill.

To end on a positive note. I totally agree with your view on politicians however you have the power to change that. Vote independent.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
A proposal has been put set that would raise your cell phone bill about $5 a year. They claim the money would go toward bringing broadband internet access to schools.

Once again, instead of learning how to budget, more taxes becomes the answer.

WOW! Five WHOLE dollars a year! The nerve!

Do you know how we got phones into every home including rural America? Hint: It didn't happen out of the generosity of corporations. Universal Telephone Service was one of the great successes of the New Deal. But historically illiterates think that every good thing that happened had nothing to do with good governmental policies or taxes.

Your avatar is perfect.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Tell that to Bill and Melinda Gates.

Regarding the selfishness of the rich, and the selfishness of the rich wannabes, this is your response to contribute to the conversation?

Certainly, I would not include Bill and Melinda Gates. I applaud and appreciate their contributions to society and humanity as whole.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying a lack of funds isn't an issue in education, but the distribution of these funds?

Let me give a real world example of what I am talking about, as I have a child in elementary in FL right now. Typically, elementary schools now have several (think 5-7 depending on the school size) administrators aiding the Principle, each teacher generally has an assistant, there are now specialty teachers for things like music and science, and now they have guidance counselors and a school nutritionist. They also have several custodians, and the typical cafeteria cooks/servers and librarians. When I went to elementary (mid-late 70's) we had a single teacher for all of our subjects without any assistants, a Principle with a secretary and an administrative assistant, one janitor, 2 librarians, 3 cafeteria cooks/servers and no guidance counselors. The extra unneeded staff's pay and benefits is likely in the $1500 per student range.

My son's school has ~500 students and 35-36 full time teachers due to school size amendments. That's around 15 kids per teacher where, in my day, it was more around 20. The schools are also trying to constantly do things like implement new teaching "paradigms," constantly re-inventing the wheel, resulting in results that aren't as good as 40 years ago (oh...but there studies say they'rrrreee Greeeaaaat!). It's a mess. Federal intervention has helped some lower tier schools over the years, but it does far more damage than helps. The DOE's 2013 costs for employees alone was $178B, with a B for billion. Or roughly $2500/student under 18. Why do we need the federal government to control the flow of funds back to the states for education beyond simply having congress divvy up the funds based on population and need?

So, in other words, there's plenty of money being flushed down the bureaucratic drain to more than make up. And we certainly don't need the federal government dictating WiFi n schools, anymore than we need them to dictate the menu (something that has gone terribly wrong the last few years with the new "healthy portion/food type" menus that the Feds demanded schools implement if they wanted federal funds). Adding a tax, even a tiny $5 per cellular subscriber per year, isn't necessary and is beyond the purview of what the federal governments actual job is.

Sigh. We're screwed.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Falconrap, apples and oranges. Two very diferent topics. Straw man argument. Etc.

Without even looking it up, I would bet a nickel that Obama and his administration are not the originators of this tax. If it even exists. It's probably from Congress. But, you know, to the politically illiterate (read: school failure and too much Rush), there's no difference between Obama and the Congress.

In terms of top heavy educational systems, I agree. Speaking as an ex-teacher and son of a teacher.

"Your normal cell phone program will resume."

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Falconrap, apples and oranges. Two very diferent topics. Straw man argument. Etc.

Without even looking it up, I would bet a nickel that Obama and his administration are not the originators of this tax. If it even exists. It's probably from Congress. But, you know, to the politically illiterate (read: school failure and too much Rush), there's no difference between Obama and the Congress.

In terms of top heavy educational systems, I agree. Speaking as an ex-teacher and son of a teacher.

Oops. I meant Rush Limbaugh, not poster Kevin Rush! What a coincidence!

TheTXMarshal

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/connected_fact_sheet.pdf

This was implemented by President Obama alone, in his direction to the FCC.
Maybe you should have spent some time looking that up, Paul.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

In terms of your last statement, I'm glad we both agree. But your other statements are interesting as you assume people who believe this comes from Obama and people who listen to Rush Limbaugh, are all illiterate. Pretty broad brush to be slinging around. This story is multiple sourced and Obama called for this tax during a recorded speech. The President floated the idea of regulating it throughout the FCC and a couple of Republicans on the House Energy and Commerce Committee went on the record slamming it. Sounds to me like Obama is pushing for this. Whether or not some congressional critters pushed for the tax or not is kind of irrelevant to the apparent desire to get around congress again.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I was wrong. Not enough desire to find out. Sorry, but as you can see, I have no trouble admitting error.

My comment about "historically illiterate" was referring to not knowing history. Little is taught these days, and a lot of what people "know" comes from highly opinionated, untruthful sources. I.e., lies. In the particular example cited, how we got telephones into almost every home in America. It was mostly funded by charging much higher rates for businesses, thus paying for residential services. Similarly, my father in law grew up on a farm in Michigan in the 1920's. No electricity, lighting was by an acetylene system in the basement. How did that farm get electricity? You got it, federal policies and taxes.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the selfishness of the rich, and the selfishness of the rich wannabes, this is your response to contribute to the conversation?

Certainly, I would not include Bill and Melinda Gates. I applaud and appreciate their contributions to society and humanity as whole.

Then you can't make a generalized statement that all rich are selfish. When you turn around and applaud one of THE richest families in the world for NOT being selfish, you demean your own argument.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think one thing most people are missing here: a lot of you are assuming that the money will be put toward installing broadband lines. Many times money has been promised toward one thing and shifted toward something else.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think one thing most people are missing here: a lot of you are assuming that the money will be put toward installing broadband lines. Many times money has been promised toward one thing and shifted toward something else.

While I'm sure what you said is the case, it's not like public schools need more funding in the first place. The excuse that everyone throws around "schools have no money" is complete bull. It's not that they don't have enough money, it's that they don't know how to manage the money.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
While I'm sure what you said is the case, it's not like public schools need more funding in the first place. The excuse that everyone throws around "schools have no money" is complete bull. It's not that they don't have enough money, it's that they don't know how to manage the money.

I agree, and isn't just a problem when it comes to school. Funding is always about how to raise more, not spend smarter.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree, and isn't just a problem when it comes to school. Funding is always about how to raise more, not spend smarter.

Completely right. The Federal Government and current administration just thinks that if they throw enough money at the problem, it will fix itself. But all it takes is a little bit of common sense to take a look at the budget and what we are funding and realize that there are plenty of ways we can cut or spend more wisely.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Completely right. The Federal Government and current administration just thinks that if they throw enough money at the problem, it will fix itself. But all it takes is a little bit of common sense to take a look at the budget and what we are funding and realize that there are plenty of ways we can cut or spend more wisely.

Let's remember it is both parties doing the same thing, just usually on different projects.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo