Obama Admin wants to raise your cell phone bill

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
this is a non story

$5 a year is literally less than 2c a day. 0.01369c to be exact

you guys are crying about 2c a day that gives schools access to high speed internet??

facepalm

this world is muck

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
A proposal has been put set that would raise your cell phone bill about $5 a year. They claim the money would go toward bringing broadband internet access to schools.

Once again, instead of learning how to budget, more taxes becomes the answer.

that is 2cents a day

2cents

two cents a day

two cents every 24 hour cycle

TWO CENTS

A DAY

for free high speed internet access to public schools

are you telling me that something that is not even pocket change is too much to provide school free internet?

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
that is 2cents a day

2cents

two cents a day

TWO CENTS

A DAY

are you telling me that something that is not even pocket change is too much to provide school free internet?

we spend more money on schools then any other nation in the world. Yet we are among the worse in education. Taxing working Americans to throw more money at a system that is failing is just foolish. Fix the damn system first then talk to me about raising my taxes some more!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
that is 2cents a day

2cents

two cents a day

TWO CENTS

A DAY

First, government (and companies) love to raise taxes/fees just a little bit every so often hoping people will say "It is just a little bit."

Second, you are assuming that the money will actually get to where it is supposed to and not be wasted along the way.

Third, you are assuming that the money can't come from another source already funding.

Lastly, it isn't free internet. It is to build proper broadband lines to schools. The school districts still have to pay for the service.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Two cents here, five cents there, a quarter or two on this and that...it all adds up. But that's not the point. The federal government doesn't need to be in doing things like this. If the local schools want this, then let them do it themselves. There are plenty of valid reasons why schools shouldn't't have WiFi anyways. This whole nonsense of the federal government doing all of these things is absurd, and it it takes them away from focusing on the things they need to be doing. Furthermore, when they dish out money for these systems, their usage will be dictated by federal guidelines, not what the local school deems appropriate. It's another way for the feds to gain control over things the schools do.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
we spend more money on schools then any other nation in the world. Yet we are among the worse in education. Taxing working Americans to throw more money at a system that is failing is just foolish. Fix the damn system first then talk to me about raising my taxes some more!

Just want to this: I wouldn't believe any statistic that compares countries like this. People can make a statistic say anything. They also say that the US ranks low when it comes to newborn survival rates. What most stories don't say is that (for one example) plenty of countries don't count still borns in this statistic, while the US does.

I am not going to say what is actually true or false, but statistics like these are VERY unreliable.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Just want to this: I wouldn't believe any statistic that compares countries like this. People can make a statistic say anything. They also say that the US ranks low when it comes to newborn survival rates. What most stories don't say is that (for one example) plenty of countries don't count still borns in this statistic, while the US does.

I am not going to say what is actually true or false, but statistics like these are VERY unreliable.

while I do agree with what you wrote. To many data collection agencies come up with same results. Not to mention our educational system gives the same abysmal story and claim its due to lack of funding which is a lie. So you do speak the truth but even our own system says that were failing on the global level.

On top of that the principal of the argument is the same we spend to much already to not get good results. So throwing more money at it want help anything when its the system itself that needs fixing.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
while I do agree with what you wrote. To many data collection agencies come up with same results. Not to mention our educational system gives the same abysmal story and claim its due to lack of funding which is a lie. So you do speak the truth but even our own system says that were failing on the global level.

On top of that the principal of the argument is the same we spend to much already to not get good results. So throwing more money at it want help anything when its the system itself that needs fixing.

Spending wasn't my issue with your comment. I just don't trust any educational statistic that compares countries. Any of them have holes you can drive semis through.

ANYWAYS, the biggest education problem is the family unit not existing in a lot of situations. Having a mom and dad in the house that are active in their child's education makes the biggest difference. That is the most important difference between richer and poor communities when talking education.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Spending wasn't my issue with your comment. I just don't trust any educational statistic that compares countries. Any of them have holes you can drive semis through.

ANYWAYS, the biggest education problem is the family unit not existing in a lot of situations. Having a mom and dad in the house that are active in their child's education makes the biggest difference. That is the most important difference between richer and poor communities when talking education.

I understand the lack of trust.

Once again we find ourself in agreement on the problems plaguing the educational system. However I doubt this is the thread for such conversation, maybe even the wrong forum.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
this is a non story

$5 a year is literally less than 2c a day. 0.01369c to be exact

you guys are crying about 2c a day that gives schools access to high speed internet??

facepalm

this world is muck

Ugh...you don't get it. the real issue isn't that we can't afford to pay the $5. The issue is the fact that the government has the right or feels that it has the right to do so. "It's just a little bit!" they say to make us look past it. And as mace123987 has said before: don't expect the money to go where they say it is going.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
People would be more accepting of taxes if the money was uses the way it was supposed to, and it was done so efficiently.

Also, most of the time new Federal taxes are implemented, they don't go away. So adding $5 here, $10 there, etc... on a bunch of different bills every year adds up.

And LOL about teachers being underpaid. Not in the US. Public school teachers are paid very respectably. A teacher with seniority is paid extremely generously. And retired teachers often have pretty dang hood pensions that take care of them for their entire lives after they've retired.

That's part of the reason we spend so much money on education. We have to pay for so many retired teachers.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ugh...you don't get it. the real issue isn't that we can't afford to pay the $5. The issue is the fact that the government has the right or feels that it has the right to do so. "It's just a little bit!" they say to make us look past it. And as mace123987 has said before: don't expect the money to go where they say it is going.
Exactly. Just because you have 5 dollars the government is entitle to it. That is the issue. Sad state. If you don't want to give your 5 dollars up with a smile your greedy. ????? Who is greedy in this situation? Some people are blind.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
People would be more accepting of taxes if the money was uses the way it was supposed to, and it was done so efficiently.

Also, most of the time new Federal taxes are implemented, they don't go away. So adding $5 here, $10 there, etc... on a bunch of different bills every year adds up.

And LOL about teachers being underpaid. Not in the US. Public school teachers are paid very respectably. A teacher with seniority is paid extremely generously. And retired teachers often have pretty dang hood pensions that take care of them for their entire lives after they've retired.

That's part of the reason we spend so much money on education. We have to pay for so many retired teachers.

It makes me crack up when I hear people say things like "Oh well on a teachers salary...". Teachers get great pay! To make $50,000 a year with summers off? Seriously people, stop.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Two cents is a good bit easier to handle than megabanks for their bad choices and spending billions in taxpayer dollars to "look for WMD", which is the entire reason this nation ended throwing 750 thousand people a month out of work. I'd pay the 2 cents any day of the week.

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
some people need to learn civics 101

and this whole notion that the federal government needs to **** out, amazing since without federal funding there wouldnt be any internet or such a high number of domestic landlines

and somebody said that schools dont need high speed internet... /smh

it is that kind of caveman mentality that has america sinking in status worldwide

in most developed countries access to high speed internet is a right

and before you go on about taxes and spending please dont hold double standards

why is it ok for the government to subsidize billion dollar companies that make record profit every year but it is a great sin to support the poor and needy

i hope you are not religious because religions teach that the poor and needy should receive the most help, not the rich

and again it is 2cents a day, not even two cents, just a little over 1

america gives away billions of dollars in foreign aid supporting countries that hate it yet $5 is is the goverbment over reaching and pilfering your pockets

when did you become so cynical

i wished i had high speed internet when i was in school

I HAD DIAL UP... I would gladly pay $5 a day if it meant that my children would receive free high speed internet

/end of rant

agree with me or not, this is hardly the most wasteful government endevour

i can still remember two unpaid wars(one that everybody has forgotten about-afghanistan-it is still going on) and medicare part d

all on a credit card

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Wow, just wow. A provided service is not a "right."

Its people like you that pollute and devalue the term "right." A right is not something someone can provide you. You have the right to obtain internet connection. But the connection itself is not a "right."

What happens when the service is terminated due to technology issues? Did technology just violate your right? Ridiculous.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow, just wow. A provided service is not a "right."

Its people like you that pollute and devalue the term "right." A right is not something someone can provide you. You have the right to obtain internet connection. But the connection itself is not a "right."

What happens when the service is terminated due to technology issues? Did technology just violate your right? Ridiculous.

Well you may have that a bit wrong, either that or I'm reading this wrong.

In Finland, for example, they have made high speed broadband a 'right' meaning that everyone in the country should be able to access high speed internet in the country. Yes you are correct that the person has to 'want' the service in the first place and will still pay for it, but you will have the right of a certain speed.

BBC News - Finland makes broadband a 'legal right'

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
some people need to learn civics 101

and this whole notion that the federal government needs to **** out, amazing since without federal funding there wouldnt be any internet or such a high number of domestic landlines

and somebody said that schools dont need high speed internet... /smh

it is that kind of caveman mentality that has america sinking in status worldwide

and before you go on about taxes and spending please dont hold double standards

why is it ok for the government to subsidize billion dollar companies that make record profit every year but it is a great sin to support the poor and needy

i hope you are not religious because religions teach that the poor and needy should receive the most help, not the rich

and again it is 2cents a day, not even two cents, just a little over 1

america gives away billions of dollars in foreign aid supporting countries that hate it yet $5 is is the goverbment over reaching and pilfering your pockets

when did you become so cynical

i wished i had high speed internet when i was in school

I HAD DIAL UP... I would gladly pay $5 a day if it meant that my children would receive free high speed internet

/end of rant

agree with me or not, this is hardly the most wasteful government endevour

i can still remember two unpaid wars(one that everybody has forgotten about-afghanistan-it is still going on) and medicare part d

all on a credit card

first your kids kill never receive free internet. Nothing is free someone else will always be paying for it. That's what taxes do they forcefully take money from someone else to give to what they deem necessary. What that necessary is these days is usually nothing more then what will secure them votes in the next election. Hence the 17 trillion in debt and an inflation that will destroy us all if not fixed.

your so right yet so wrong at the same time. America is sinking because of the government. You rant about all of the waste in the government, how much money they spend on thing that they should not. Yet your advocating for them to be spending in something you think is necessary. The federal government should not be spending 3\4 of what it does. It should be the way it started left in the hands of the individual states.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Two cents is a good bit easier to handle than megabanks for their bad choices and spending billions in taxpayer dollars to "look for WMD", which is the entire reason this nation ended throwing 750 thousand people a month out of work. I'd pay the 2 cents any day of the week.

yes and no, bailing out any industry is wrong should never ever be done. However you are completely misguided if you think the war in Iraq is what caused the economic situation were in. When in fact it had little to nothing to do with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2