05-21-2015 02:41 AM
125 1234 ...
tools
    Tonight, I have Iron Man 3.

... if Amazon have delivered on time.
    09-09-2013 09:37 AM
    Some other thoughts:

I thought all three comic book adaptions this summer were a bit of disappointments.

"Iron Man 3": Was totally out of place in the Marvel universe. Where was SHIELD the whole movie? How many times can you milk the remote control armor gag? Somrtimes it reference the "Avengers", sometimes it didn't. Hey, let's throw a cute kid in the middle of the movie for no reason. RDJ and Gwyneth Paltrow were amazing together as always, Guy Pearce was fun as the nasty, and it had fun parts. But, such a let down in pacing and use of The Marvel Universe. 6/10.

"Man of Steel": Okay, let me get this out of the way: Henry Cavill is a dull actor. He looked good in the suit, and otherwise was a piece of well chiselled wood. But all the great performers around him made up for it. Kevin Costner is a great actor who did wonders with a small roll. Amy Adams just nailed Lois Lane. Michael Shannon stole every scene he was in as Zod. Just OWNED that roll. But again- uneven, more about the spectacle of Superman. Fun fught scenes though. 7/10.

"The Wolverine": Hugh Jackman just loves this roll. For the first half, I loved this movie. The fight scene early on for the kidnapping, the train scene, just good stuff. Wolverine losing his power and becoming slower to heal added an element needed. But, from when he got his healing back on, the movie lost it. Totally. 6/10.

Looking excitedly to "Thor: The Dark World" saving this year's super heroes.
    Chregu and BIGPADDY like this.
    09-09-2013 09:46 AM
    Thanks for the IM3 review. I've been pretty much successful in avoiding all the reviews until now in the hopes of watching it with fresh eyes....
    09-09-2013 09:49 AM
    Well I watched a film called Collateral yesterday. Had Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise in it. Quite a gritty film about how two unsuspecting people meet and the power play between them throughout the film. Quite a good one. I'd give it 8/10. Thoroughly recommended!
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-15-2013 09:07 AM
    Well I watched a film called Collateral yesterday. Had Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise in it. Quite a gritty film about how two unsuspecting people meet and the power play between them throughout the film. Quite a good one. I'd give it 8/10. Thoroughly recommended!
    It's been a while since I have seen it, but I was really positively surprised and felt the same about it as you do.
    Muessig likes this.
    09-15-2013 10:17 AM
    Thanks for the IM3 review. I've been pretty much successful in avoiding all the reviews until now in the hopes of watching it with fresh eyes....
    oops.. sorry, buddy.

How did you like it, though? For "non-comic geeks", it was a lot of fun. Just us nerds who grew up with this were critical. "Star Wars" and comics WAS my childhood. I am a harsh critic for that reason.
    09-15-2013 02:12 PM
    Still waiting on some "Riddick" opinions... will most likely take the boy to see it this weekend. Just curious how this community liked it.
    09-15-2013 02:15 PM
    Iron Man 3 didn't really live up to my expectations. I'd have preferred less of the man, and more of the iron. Pacing seemed a little slow. The saving grace was Ben Kinglsey.

I saw Fast & Furious 6 last night. Really enjoyed it for what it was. Some really nice fight scenes, good action, ludicrous idea of reality. Dwayne Jonhson helps to carry a somewhat lacklustre Vin Diesel.

Still kept thinking how much Gina Carano looks like Karren Brady. Boy did she kick ****.
    09-17-2013 03:38 AM
    Still waiting on some "Riddick" opinions... will most likely take the boy to see it this weekend. Just curious how this community liked it.
    I plan to go see Riddick in the next day or so, watch this space!
    09-19-2013 01:15 PM
    so I saw the Jobs movie and was very...disappointed...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, if you can even really spoil this movie because its mostly historical, I am still providing the necessary cautions anyways so nobody complains. Okay with that out of the way
    heres what I thought of the movie. I feel that it wasn't as much of a biography about Jobs as much as it was a biography about apple. I thought Ashton kutcher was actually a decent Steve jobs in the movie, the problem was the duration at which they chose to tell the story. The first scene in the movie is Jobs showing the ipod and saying that it was going to revolutionize the industry. First, he might have said that, it sounds very jobs-esque, but it was itunes that revolutionized the industry. Aside from that note,t he issue I had with the movie is that the ending was too short, I mean, It only really talks about apple and doesn't mention anything really about Jobs we didn't already know. The major gripe I have is they left key parts about his life and the tech industry at the time out of the plot. I mean, nowhere is xerox even mentioned in the movie. Bill Gates and Jobs had this very interesting rival thing going on, not only is Bill gates nowhere in the movie, the part of the movie when MS comes out with windows and Jobs says that "they copied us" and then he goes and leaves a nasty message to Gates telling that he will sue him into the ground is like a minute long segment. I mean, that was a huge part about Jobs and Apple. Not only that, when Jobs gets fired from Apple, he worked at NeXt, (I have no idea if I'm spelling that right), for like 10 years and its mentioned in the movie for around 2 minutes. Yes, they liberally skipped about 10 years of his life and acted like it was nothing...

Not only that, influential people in Job's life, that worked at apple, are barely there. Jony Ive, probably one of the most influential people in Job's life and the look of apple in general is credited to this man, so how is he in the movie towards the very end for like 2 minutes as well? What really gets me thought is the ending, it ends when Apple introduces the colorful imac in 1998 and then jobs assumes control of Apple as CEO. The screen then cuts black and says "Apple was listed as the most valuable company in 2012". They didn't mention the iphone, the ipad, the macbooks, I mean, Apple didn't have a meteoric rise again until around 2005 when they launched the iphone, and then the ipad, etc. Its like the last 15 years of Job's life weren't important, when I personally thought that they were some of the more innovative times in his life. I wanted to see some kind of deathbed confession, or even something about the end of the man's life and nothing was mentioned of it. Its like a documentary about Apple and not Jobs that ends the documentary about half-way through their story! I thought the movie was definitely entertaining, but I didn't think it was very good. Please comment on what you though of the movie. Sorry if this got to be a little too much of a Rant, but I think it was a poorly done movie about one of the greatest innovators of our time!
    Last edited by Ridemyscooter86; 09-19-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: didnt finish post
    09-19-2013 06:14 PM
    Sounds like a very disappointing movie. What would you give it out of 10?
    09-20-2013 07:35 AM
    I agree. I've just put this on my list of "nerd movies not to watch", along with The Social Network.
    Chregu and BIGPADDY like this.
    09-20-2013 08:22 AM
    Sounds like a very disappointing movie. What would you give it out of 10?
    probably like a 6 out of 10, it wasn't horrible, just very incomplete...
    09-20-2013 10:52 PM
    I watched Pacific Rim recently. It was a little like Transformers meet Godzilla with likable characters and without the stupidity.
    The end was kind of disappointing though, and the two scientists did not work at all as comic relief. They were just silly.
    10-07-2013 04:29 PM
    So I just went to go and see a film with George Clooney and Sandra Bullock. It was called Gravity. Without a doubt you need to go and see this film. Here's why:

This film is completely unlike anything I've ever seen before. In a normal film you may become involved with it but it has a definite plot that you're aware of. You roughly know when it's halfway done and when it's about to end. Gravity is the first film I've ever seen where I become wholly and completely so engrossed in the film that I would honestly have been happy to watch the entire length of the film again. I had no concept of any time passing when I saw this film.

See this film if you can. The way it was shot completely sucks you into each moment that passes, and means if need to see this on a big screen in the best cinema near you in 3D.

10/10
    Martsicky, snowmutt and gedzum like this.
    11-09-2013 11:44 AM
    Okay.... saw "Thor: The Dark World" this week, and let me tell ya:

Among the better Marvel movies. Period. First off, it does not try to be anything other then what it is supposed to be: a fun movie. Trying to change the world? Nah. Trying to make a statement? Nope. Trying to take itself seriously? Come on- this is based on a comic book which is based on Norse Mythology- you know, Viking Gods. How serious can you be?? This movie has about a dozen points where it just winks at the audience and says "That's right, we just went there!!"

But what it doesn't skimp on are the two most important areas- story and characters you care about. The character development of Thor shows once and for all how smart Marvel was to lock up Chris Hemsworth. This guy just improves with every role. He has charisma, but just also knows how to let those around him own a scene. It is to his credit he shines without ever overshadowing other characters. That is vital in a movie with as many moving parts as this movie has. He makes Thor human, no small feet. I think of how wooden I found Henry Cavill I found in "Man of Steel". His Superman was conflicted, but I never found him to have weakness or bought any of the doubts that the movie tried to sell. But with "Thor", Hemsworth presents the God of Thunder full of regrets and insecurity. You beleive it, and you are brought into his world quickly.

Tom Hiddleston, of course, steals every scene he is in, oozing mischief and charisma. Christopher Eccleston is not given much time to develop his evil Dark Elf Malekith, and it is to his credit that he sells the motivation of his character which helps push the action.

Amazing standouts reside in Asgard- Jaimie Alexander is excellent as Sif, Zachary Levi improves the role of Fandrel over Josh Dallas from the first movie. Ray Stevenson is so great in his role as the hard fighting, hard partying Volstagg I have almost forgiven him for what he did to the Frank Castle character in "Punisher: War Zone." Idris Elba stole the first movie as Heimdall, and while he does not stand out as much in this he brings a nobility to the Asgardian Sentry. Rene Russo is excellent and underused as Frigga, Queen of the Gods.

The set pieces and action sequences are excellent. Alan Taylor never lets the movie lag, and while plot holes are there, nothing is left glaring to make the movie feel empty.

Not everything is perfect- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is never given enough to do as the Henchmen of the Elves "Kurse". Stellan Sarsgard adds nothing and almost feels out of place, like his character was written for a campy comedy sketch on "SNL". Kat Dennings has charisma, but I never felt her character or her boyfriend belonged on this level. Natalie Portman is excellent, as always, in her role as Jane Foster, but the connection she had with Hemsworth is not as good as it was in the first film. (Thor/Sif was much better.)

No real downside to this movie. The end fight is among the best ever filmed. Go see it if you even have a HINT of geek in you.

8/10.
    gedzum, Muessig and BIGPADDY like this.
    11-19-2013 04:58 AM
    Yeah but Man of Steel had that Nokia branding :P jk. Yeah I Iiked the new Thor movie as well. Had a lot more humour for me as well.

I want to see Gravity too. Friends are planning to see it tomorrow but one guy might need to meet up with a study group.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-21-2013 04:57 AM
    I haven't watched a good movie in a while. I'll to take some of these in.

I'd like to complain a touch, very few people are giving ratings out of 10!!!
    11-21-2013 06:00 AM
    I haven't watched a good movie in a while. I'll to take some of these in.

I'd like to complain a touch, very few people are giving ratings out of 10!!!
    With ya!! Maybe asking for up to "10" was too many choices. Maybe it should just be thumbs up or down (Rest In Piece, Siskel & Ebert).
    11-21-2013 07:22 AM
    Oh man the original Tron was soo good. Its the newest movie I've ever seen

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    11-21-2013 07:27 AM
    Oh man the original Tron was soo good. Its the newest movie I've ever seen

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    Wow.

That is all I got.
    Muessig likes this.
    11-26-2013 10:45 AM
    Wow.

That is all I got.
    Oh cmon I was just having a little fun

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Muessig and snowmutt like this.
    12-05-2013 05:36 PM
    I've seen Thor 2 recently and it was generally a very good movie. I've seen it in d and 2D and I can safely say that while 3D is cool, it adds nothing to the core movie experience. Not like Gravity. Thor 2 was very well done, Chris Hemsworth manages to develop his character believably throughout while not stealing the thunder (hah!) from other actors on-screen. As per usual, Loki steals every scene he's in (but that's kinda what he's there for - to dominate and play mind games). Natalie Portman's character seems to be a bit of a plot device and lacks the depth of character development I'd have liked to see. Generally this film has some nice twists, a believable bad guy (which is notable, considering the screen time he gets) and of course some good action and CGI.

Recommended. If you can, go see this.

8/10
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    12-06-2013 01:58 AM
    I'm going to watch the hobbit desolation of Smaug next this week when it release going to pre-booked tickets, I will give a review to it!
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-07-2013 06:07 PM
    Okay:

Hunger Games Catching Fire :

I am in awe. I liked, didn't love, the first one. Was expecting kind of the same. Knowing the background of this movie and that it is for a yournger generation, I figured there would be more love angst then the first and some nicer set pieces with a bigger budget. Saw it on IMAX with a bunch of kids.

All I got:

Wow.

It is one of the best movies I have seen in a long, long time. Every scene had a purpose. The action sequences were more about suspense then actual "kill shots". Jennifer Lawrence was AMAZING as the lead- she owned her role and made this woman that is finding herself in circumstances beyond her control just believable, continuing her growth into a warrior and leader while still feeling her regrets about losing her innocence and youth apparent with every glance.

I am firm believer that the villain makes the movie, and Donald Sutherland just oozes ambition and evil as the oppresive President Snow.

Just a great movie. Seriously. I know I reviewed "Thor" well, but honest- my kids get mad at me that I enjoy movies without ever really going nuts. I am a "5-7" on a 10 scale usually, so I do not give this lightly:

9/10. A suspensful, fun, well crafted, greatly acted, and leave you wanting more flick.
    Muessig likes this.
    12-08-2013 08:13 PM
125 1234 ...