05-21-2015 02:41 AM
125 12345
tools
    Saw the second Hobbitt. Mediocre at best. Overly long scenes, and very little done to advance any of the characters along. All the dwarfs are just faceless, nameless interchangeable players who get caught a lot by their adversaries. The inclusion of the elves feels forced, and the movie has ton of action but very little suspense.

Martin Freeman is still a gem as Bilbo and was great casting. Ian McKellon is happy to be back as Gandalf and it shows- he teaches everyone short of Freeman how to carry a role. Smaug is worth the price of admission. This dragon oozes evil and danger, and by the end of the movie you are hoping the entire third chapter revolves around him.

My wife is a huge Tolken fan, and warns anyone who loves the books needs to avoid this movie. She was bitterly hurt by the lack of following the story and the adding in of characters like Legolas just to sell tickets.

I wasn't impressed. But Frreman, McKellen, and that amazing dragon saved it for me.

5/10.
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    01-08-2014 12:54 AM
    Saw the second Hobbitt. Mediocre at best. Overly long scenes, and very little done to advance any of the characters along. All the dwarfs are just faceless, nameless interchangeable players who get caught a lot by their adversaries. The inclusion of the elves feels forced, and the movie has ton of action but very little suspense.

Martin Freeman is still a gem as Bilbo and was great casting. Ian McKellon is happy to be back as Gandalf and it shows- he teaches everyone short of Freeman how to carry a role. Smaug is worth the price of admission. This dragon oozes evil and danger, and by the end of the movie you are hoping the entire third chapter revolves around him.

My wife is a huge Tolken fan, and warns anyone who loves the books needs to avoid this movie. She was bitterly hurt by the lack of following the story and the adding in of characters like Legolas just to sell tickets.

I wasn't impressed. But Frreman, McKellen, and that amazing dragon saved it for me.

5/10.
    Thanks for letting me know. Personally I felt the same way about the first movie. The fact they're making the Hobbit into three, three hour movies is a bit much in my opinion. That wasn't necssary. If they could put The Lord of the Rings three books in the three movies they could easily have done one movie with the Hobbit. Just goes to show they're after cash.

I am not a huge Tolkien fan personally. I read all the books but I found them trying at times. Dragging the Hobbit across three movies will show how slow the book really is. I can appreciate the movies for the cinematics, I can appreciate Tolkien for his style of writing and what he brought to the genre in general, but I'm not a fan.

I'll wait fo the DVD or Netfix release I'm afraid. I also can't handle the three hours in uncomfortable seats and no breaks. :P
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-08-2014 05:40 AM
    Dead on.

Especially about the "cash grab" and the "uncomfortable seats".

And by the way.... "cash grab" movies tend to make you realize you are seating in "uncomfortable seats", where as good movies tend to make you forget the seats until you stand up to go pee after the movie is over and your tush hurts...
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    01-08-2014 09:13 PM
    On DVD: Saw "Elysium". I did not like "District 9", and this movie was from the same guy. But, to my ever living surprise this movie was fun. I suggest it as a Sci-Fi evening killer. Good action, Matt Damon was great, and enough almost-plot to keep it interesting. Not great, but good. 7/10.

Wasn't a fan of "Prisoners". Tried too hard. It was one of those movies that screams "TAKE ME SERIOUS, I AM IMPORTANT" that Hollywood puts out. Not my cup of tea. Takes itself way too serious, and wallows way too far down in the ugly parts of human nature without ever really taking it to a conclusion that feels well thought out. Great performances. Hugh Jackman can carry a movie. 5/10.
    01-14-2014 10:37 PM
    I just saw Her.

It was excellent. The characters and the script were terrific.

It definitely shows a dark side of technology, and shows that technology cannot replace real relationships with people.

The scene where 'Samantha' tells Theodore that 'she' has relationships with over 8k other people/OSes and is in love with over 600 of those is particularly compelling. While Theodore is sitting on the stairs of the subway, he observes many different people interacting with their OSes, while 'Samantha' describes 'her' relationships with all of these other people/OSes.

Incidentally, I noticed that 'Samantha' is OS/1 in the movie. IBM, which had the real OS/2, also happened to be the inventor of voice-recognition software. I wonder if the name of the OS is the movie was deliberately chosen for that reason.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-18-2014 11:57 PM
    You all have got to see 12 Years a Slave. Just an awesome piece of cinema. 9.5/10

I enjoyed Her. I can totally see that becoming a reality as we are so plugged in that actual personal relationships take a back seat. 8/10

American Hustle was a good, albeit messed up film. Enjoyed the story, the acting was well done. The ending left me wanting. 8/10

Last Vegas is a must see!! 10/10 easily.

Dallas Buyers Club. Another great film. The way it was captured and the story told was superb. 10/10

Do yourself a favor and also catch Don John. The premise is so absurd yet believable you'll laugh, and see a bit of yourself there too. 8.5/10
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    01-19-2014 12:39 AM
    @juanitoriv:

You have had a great run with the movies!! A lot of high praise in your post.
    juanitoriv likes this.
    01-20-2014 10:36 PM
    I just saw Her.

It was excellent. The characters and the script were terrific.

It definitely shows a dark side of technology, and shows that technology cannot replace real relationships with people.

The scene where 'Samantha' tells Theodore that 'she' has relationships with over 8k other people/OSes and is in love with over 600 of those is particularly compelling. While Theodore is sitting on the stairs of the subway, he observes many different people interacting with their OSes, while 'Samantha' describes 'her' relationships with all of these other people/OSes.

Incidentally, I noticed that 'Samantha' is OS/1 in the movie. IBM, which had the real OS/2, also happened to be the inventor of voice-recognition software. I wonder if the name of the OS is the movie was deliberately chosen for that reason.

I am just plain creeped out by the concept of this movie. Having a hard time convincing myself it is worth a look.

Not sure I want to see any of the movies where I guy falls for a blow up doll, either. This kinda falls into that catagory for me. How do you even pitch a movie like this to studio executives?
    01-20-2014 10:38 PM
    I am just plain creeped out by the concept of this movie. Having a hard time convincing myself it is worth a look.

Not sure I want to see any of the movies where I guy falls for a blow up doll, either. This kinda falls into that catagory for me. How do you even pitch a movie like this to studio executives?
    Don't forget how some folks developed a "relationship" with SIRI. Even Raj from The Big Bang Theory had one. Briefly, but still. It is a very interesting concept for the future in our tech laden society and the possibilities of intuitive software. I mean, go almost anywhere and you can see people almost glued to their phones, and its almost believable/foreseeable..
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    01-21-2014 09:22 AM
    Which doesn't make it ANY less creepy.....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-27-2014 08:48 AM
    Which doesn't make it ANY less creepy.....
    It's already happening in Japan that guys have relationships with their virtual girlfriends and even take them on dates. It's one of the 'many' issues with the reproduction rate there.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-27-2014 09:38 AM
    It's already happening in Japan that guys have relationships with their virtual girlfriends and even take them on dates. It's one of the 'many' issues with the reproduction rate there.
    Ugh. Why do I feel as though I should go shower now??

QUICK!! Someone bring up another movie!! ANY movie!!

How about that "I, Frankenstien"?? Cinema masterpiece or what???

*cringes, hope this changes topic on one of his favorite threads*
    01-28-2014 12:19 PM
    Welcome to the Jungle was pretty funny. There's even boobies in it. 8.5/10.
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-01-2014 02:58 PM
    Welcome to the Jungle was pretty funny.
    Was this the one with Jean-Claude Van Damme in it? I have heard zero about it, but was amused by the idea behind it.
    02-02-2014 01:18 AM
    Was this the one with Jean-Claude Van Damme in it? I have heard zero about it, but was amused by the idea behind it.
    Yes it is. Imagine The Office crossed with Lost. Funny!!

Also, if you like raunchy funny, you have got to see The Hungover Games. It is a spoof of The Hunger Games and The Hangover movies with a lot of recent characters from other films. I thought this was HILARIOUS!!!!!!! 10/10
    Last edited by juanitoriv; 02-02-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-02-2014 01:25 PM
    Okay so I just went and saw the Lego movie.

Now I never really played with or got into lego as a kid. Never really have much even until this day. I'm interested in it but I never really got into playing and making stuff with it. I always preferred drawing - I guess you'd expect that from a graphic designer though. Having said all that I'd heard the lego movie was good but a friend of mine said he was going to see this film and I tagged along.

It. Was. Amazing. From pretty much the first few lines of the movie to the end the movie had charisma, wit and charm in spades. The story was engaging and the characters were believable. If you're looking for something lighthearted this is a must-see movie. Heck, go see it anyway!
    gedzum and snowmutt like this.
    02-21-2014 03:31 PM
    Okay so I just went and saw the Lego movie.

Now I never really played with or got into lego as a kid. Never really have much even until this day. I'm interested in it but I never really got into playing and making stuff with it. I always preferred drawing - I guess you'd expect that from a graphic designer though. Having said all that I'd heard the lego movie was good but a friend of mine said he was going to see this film and I tagged along.

It. Was. Amazing. From pretty much the first few lines of the movie to the end the movie had charisma, wit and charm in spades. The story was engaging and the characters were believable. If you're looking for something lighthearted this is a must-see movie. Heck, go see it anyway!
    I loved Lego when I was a kid. Used to buy those small box kits or whatever you call them. Good times. I'd love to watch the movie but I'm not sure if I can convince anyone to watch it with me :P
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-22-2014 04:08 AM
    I have heard nothing but great things about "The Lego Movie". Haven't been to the movies in over a month. I am ready to start getting rolling again, so maybe we roll on this one.....
    02-22-2014 04:20 AM
    I, Frankenstein was not nearly what I thought it would be. Yuck.
    03-13-2014 10:54 AM
    I forgot about this thread. I am one of those really cheap guys who will always wait until the movie comes out on DVD or digital download. My wife and I watched 12 Years A Slave and Nebraska this weekend.

I absolutely hated 12 Years A Slave. Over the years I've seen all the inhumanity I need to see to know how wrong it is. I have no desire to see anymore of it. I am not turning a blind eye to it; it just has to stop. Watching 12 Years A Slave reminded me of the Holocaust museum in Washington D.C. There's really no difference between the two. At the Holocaust museum you see real movies of Nazi doctors injecting poison into people and recording the convulsions they went into. In 12 Years A Slave you see people tied to a pole and whipped until they're mutilated and unconscious. My rating 1/10

I didn't think I would like Nebraska. The plot sounded kind of dumb with a sweepstake ticket and being filmed in black and white seemed odd. I was surprised. Nebraska turned out to be a really good movie that kept my attention through the whole movie, and I didn't even think about it being filmed in black and white. My rating 9.5/10
    snowmutt likes this.
    03-14-2014 08:37 AM
    I enjoyed 12 Years. It was completely jacked up, but it was a great film. True story of perserverance.

Check out Cheap Thrills. Twisted flic. Liked it a lot though.
    palandri likes this.
    03-14-2014 11:32 AM
    Real quick DVD selection:

For any drama/action fans out there, I am a big Jason Statham fan, and his latest on DVD "Homefront" was actually a decent movie. He gets to do little else but look menacing (what else ahould he be asked to do?), but his scenes with his daughter, played by new comer Izabela Vidovic, are excellent. She is OUTSTANDING in her role, and steals every scene as well. With a great supporting cast like James Franco, Kate Bosworth (also excellent), Clancy Brown and Winona Ryder, this is a very enjoyable flick. There is a few "awww, man, REALLY??" moments you have to ignore, but it is a strong recommend from me.

7/10.
    Muessig and palandri like this.
    03-20-2014 01:28 PM
    I forgot about this thread. I am one of those really cheap guys who will always wait until the movie comes out on DVD or digital download. My wife and I watched 12 Years A Slave and Nebraska this weekend.

I absolutely hated 12 Years A Slave. Over the years I've seen all the inhumanity I need to see to know how wrong it is. I have no desire to see anymore of it. I am not turning a blind eye to it; it just has to stop. Watching 12 Years A Slave reminded me of the Holocaust museum in Washington D.C. There's really no difference between the two. At the Holocaust museum you see real movies of Nazi doctors injecting poison into people and recording the convulsions they went into. In 12 Years A Slave you see people tied to a pole and whipped until they're mutilated and unconscious. My rating 1/10

I didn't think I would like Nebraska. The plot sounded kind of dumb with a sweepstake ticket and being filmed in black and white seemed odd. I was surprised. Nebraska turned out to be a really good movie that kept my attention through the whole movie, and I didn't even think about it being filmed in black and white. My rating 9.5/10
    I have avoided "12 years a slave" just for that reason. I understand how ugly a portion of our past that was, and have no desire to forget it or sugar coat it. But, at the same time, do I HAVE to watch 2 hours of human torture? I think not.

Might give Nebraska a try....
    X0LARIUM and palandri like this.
    03-20-2014 01:30 PM
    ....Might give Nebraska a try....
    As I said, I thought Nebraska was going to be a real stupid, boring movie. The plot sounded so dumb. If it wasn't for my wife wanting to see it, I would have never watched it. After watching it I understand why it was nominated for Best Picture.
    snowmutt likes this.
    03-20-2014 02:52 PM
    I will check it out later today. But please watch The Hangover Games. We'll compare notes later
    palandri likes this.
    03-22-2014 12:18 PM
125 12345