[Official] Movie Review Thread

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought it would be a good idea to provide an area where community members could talk through their opinions of different movies they go and see.

Ground rules:

1. If you are going to talk through plot spoilers you should make it clear you are going to... Mark your post with SPOILERS.

2. Respect other people's opinions.

3. At the end of your review give a rating out of 10 - e.g. 7/10

Last edited:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Toy Story 3 was excellent after watching one and two I had to go see three which was an excellent ending to the triolog, I recommend all to watch it!!!

Lots of funny moments, emotional ending and great animation!

BIGPADDY Rating: 10/10

Last edited:

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Recently watched 2 Guns starring Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. Didn't go into it with much expectation thinking it would just be one of those standard fair action flicks. It actually had a decent plot, as well as some interesting plot twists (which I won't spoil). The two leads in the movie worked fantastic together and the back and forth, as well as some of the one-liners were hilarious. The supporting cast played their roles well, with some of the antagonists really making me hate them. The ending was funny and I left the cinema very satisfied with the experience.

Might be worth a look for anyone interested in this type of movie.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've seen 2 guns advertised recently and wondered whether it was any good. My only question is whether Denzel Washington seems to play another character in this film or whether he's the same generic version on him as he has been in past films? I love his films but sometimes it just seems like he's not really trying to be anything but himself in them...

Also - Can you rate it out of 10? I think that'd be helpful generally if we do that in this thread.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I've seen quite a few Denzel Washington movies and never realized how similar he is in them until now. That being said, the way he acts suits the role in 2 Guns.

If I were to give it a rating, I think something in the region of 6 or 7/10 would be fair. The highlight being the partnership between Wahlberg and Washington.

I guess a drawback would be the nature of it being one of those action movies, the appeal might wear off as the movie goes on.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh, the last movie I've seen apart from Iron Man 3 was Now You See Me.

That movie was such a mess and neglected one of the most important movie rules in the main plot. Also it just didn't make any sense (and yes, I checked after the movie if I'm just too stupid, but the movie really doesn't make any sense).

Interestingly, the IMDb rating is pretty high, so people seem to like it and I have to admit, until the end it was very enjoyable. This even thought the "magic" was mostly bad CGI. Did anybody of you see it, what did you think of it?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I saw Lee Daniels' The Butler. I'd have to say it should get multiple Oscar nominations. Forest Whitaker, Oprah Winfrey and Cuba Gooding Jr give outstanding performances. The movie is also a great history lesson that shows the courage of African-Americans to overcome bigotry and discrimination. I'd give it a 10/10.

paulsalame6

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Now you see was good movie yet still was a mess probably have to watch it again to grasp all the little details that make it good. I saw a really good movie called The Shawshank Redemption which is really old yet really good. I give that movie a 10/10 any day.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Now you see was good movie yet still was a mess probably have to watch it again to grasp all the little details that make it good. I saw a really good movie called The Shawshank Redemption which is really old yet really good. I give that movie a 10/10 any day.

I'd like to quote something that's a spoiler about "Now You See Me". How could I do this. Writing it in white text?

[WARN] 4. The detective himself, or one of the official investigators, should never turn out to be the culprit. This is bald trickery, on a par with offering some one a bright penny for a five-dollar gold piece. It's false pretenses.[/WARN]

And that's the main reason I find this movie is stupid. This rule was written in 1928, so it should be known by now ;-)

Twenty rules for writing detective stories (1928) by S.S. Van Dine

For all the other reasons, this is the article I read after I felt stupid after the movie, and it touches exactly the stuff I didn't get: http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/06/03/now-you-see-me-plot/

Yeah, I'm a little frustrated by this movie and I think it shows.

But I really like the The Shawshank Redemption :)

Blues Brothers, thats a fun movie! Watching it now. It's almost 35 years old, and it holds up so good.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey Chregu, I saw Now You See Me a while back and I agree with you. I found that movie confusing. There were elements of the movie that were witty and funny. I liked Woody Harrelson's character. But I agree with you with that plot twist at the end. I don't like how practically everything in the whole movie is revealed within the last 10-15min or so. Seems like a lot to cram in at the end. I prefer the way something like Ocean's Eleven worked.

[Warn] I also didn't like how the movie was supposed to be about magic, but they did everything they could to show it up as a con. It lost a lot of its mystique for me. [/Warn]

I would say 5 or 6/10 would reflect my feelings about that movie. The start of the movie and how they go it going, along with the wit and some comedy value were the highlights for me. The convuluted and seemingly rushed ending left me confused. Still a decent movie, but not sure it would be something I would want to watch again.

Cubeddd

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I pretty much loved Now You See Me, as a big fan of most of the actors and magic and illusions, it was quite pleasing to see a movie about illusions. I think the plot is generally quite straight forward and the ending elaborates on what has been hinted at during the movie. I like Jesse Eisenberg's character which pretty much resembled Zukerberg in The Social Network. The magic trick were good too and its good to have Morgan Freeman explained what happened once again.

The biggest flaw in the movie also (and painful to watch) was the magic tricks. It was painful to see that most, if not all, of the tricks were edited using CGI or camera tricks. Even the first card trick was edited to make our card choice obvious. I mean that's just lame on soo many levels. But this is Hollywood I guess and using real magic tricks might have been difficult, dangerous or be unappreciated by the public. (The same way the Mandarin in Iron Man was dumbed down for comedic purposes and to appeal to the majority non-readers of the comics). The actors are actors not magicians also so it would take a long time to train them.

Also, mark ruffalo is awesome, but the character was lame. I liked the ending and understood it, but it was an unreasonable way to go about it. The least I ask for is a more flawed character where we see obvious hints that there's more to him than meets the eyes, especially when he interacts with the "horsemen" or is alone. That would have been good and give a "i knew it" sense in the audience.

Overall, i think it deserves it's IMDb rating of a pretty good movie.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Also, mark ruffalo is awesome, but the character was lame. I liked the ending and understood it, but it was an unreasonable way to go about it.

Are you talking about the twist or about The Eye? I got the twist, I just didn't like it, but I didn't get The Eye at all.

I was watching this movie with a friend, and in the bubble scene she asked: "How are they doing this?" and my response was: "Wires and bad CGI..." ;-)

Edit: Oh, there will be a sequel. Of course they didn't explain The Eye.

Cubeddd

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about the twist or about The Eye? I got the twist, I just didn't like it, but I didn't get The Eye at all.

I was watching this movie with a friend, and in the bubble scene she asked: "How are they doing this?" and my response was: "Wires and bad CGI..." ;-)

Edit: Oh, there will be a sequel. Of course they didn't explain The Eye.

I'm talking about the twist, about the fact that (Spoiler Alert:) he was behind all it all along, and it made sense why he would do that. But I wanted a bit more mistakes on his part because he knew what's going on, instead they made it seem like a genuine character throughout. Also I don't think there's nothing much to read into about The Eye, its pretty much just a way to show the characters motivation for going along with then plan, and it's much like the real world British Magic Circle. I doubt they'll focus on it in the sequel.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about the twist, about the fact that (Spoiler Alert:) he was behind all it all along, and it made sense why he would do that. But I wanted a bit more mistakes on his part because he knew what's going on, instead they made it seem like a genuine character throughout. Also I don't think there's nothing much to read into about The Eye, its pretty much just a way to show the characters motivation for going along with then plan, and it's much like the real world British Magic Circle. I doubt they'll focus on it in the sequel.

The Eye was pretty prominent for being just a MacGuffin in my opinion. Maybe the plot was just to messy to bring me to the right level of suspension of disbelief.

But I understand that the movie can be satisfying if these things are just accepted.

I could write more, but I think we should leave room for other movies now :)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I should be heading to the cinema sometime this week to see either Monsters University, Riddick, Rush or Kick-*** 2

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd be interested in a Kick *** 2 review. It seems to have some divided opinions.

Either way..I'll be on the lookout for your review of whatever movie you see Muesig

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd be interested in a Kick *** 2 review. It seems to have some divided opinions.

Either way..I'll be on the lookout for your review of whatever movie you see Muesig

I don't get why the forum changes this other word for donkey into stars.

As of the topic, I didn't realize the new Riddick movie was already shot. The first one was great, I also enjoyed the second one very much for some unknown reason, but my taste was a little different in 2004, so I think this new one could be interesting.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
haha right I didn't realise it does that automatically.

I saw the trailer for the new Riddick movie. It looks interesting. I actually haven't seen the other ones yet. Might see if I can check them out some time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb