[Official] Movie Review Thread

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I watched ST: Into Darkness last night on 3D Blu-Ray with all the lights turned off.

Not quite as good as the first one, but I still really enjoyed it.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I watched ST: Into Darkness last night on 3D Blu-Ray with all the lights turned off.

Not quite as good as the first one, but I still really enjoyed it.

I thought it was better than the first, well it had my favorite actor Benedict Cumberbatch he was amazing!!!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay... need some "Riddick" reveiws... (I really wish this thread was a sticky.)

And "Star Trek: Into Darkness" was a little strang in that Kirk was not the problem solver- Spock absolutely saved the day in this one. Uhuru was star #2, and Bones was under utilized. I have become a HUGE Karl Urban fan. Like everything he has done. Benedict Cumberbatch just rocks.

Uneven, but so much fun you do not realize it until you are out of the theatre. I give it a 7/10.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Some other thoughts:

I thought all three comic book adaptions this summer were a bit of disappointments.

"Iron Man 3": Was totally out of place in the Marvel universe. Where was SHIELD the whole movie? How many times can you milk the remote control armor gag? Somrtimes it reference the "Avengers", sometimes it didn't. Hey, let's throw a cute kid in the middle of the movie for no reason. RDJ and Gwyneth Paltrow were amazing together as always, Guy Pearce was fun as the nasty, and it had fun parts. But, such a let down in pacing and use of The Marvel Universe. 6/10.

"Man of Steel": Okay, let me get this out of the way: Henry Cavill is a dull actor. He looked good in the suit, and otherwise was a piece of well chiselled wood. But all the great performers around him made up for it. Kevin Costner is a great actor who did wonders with a small roll. Amy Adams just nailed Lois Lane. Michael Shannon stole every scene he was in as Zod. Just OWNED that roll. But again- uneven, more about the spectacle of Superman. Fun fught scenes though. 7/10.

"The Wolverine": Hugh Jackman just loves this roll. For the first half, I loved this movie. The fight scene early on for the kidnapping, the train scene, just good stuff. Wolverine losing his power and becoming slower to heal added an element needed. But, from when he got his healing back on, the movie lost it. Totally. 6/10.

Looking excitedly to "Thor: The Dark World" saving this year's super heroes.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the IM3 review. I've been pretty much successful in avoiding all the reviews until now in the hopes of watching it with fresh eyes....

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I watched a film called Collateral yesterday. Had Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise in it. Quite a gritty film about how two unsuspecting people meet and the power play between them throughout the film. Quite a good one. I'd give it 8/10. Thoroughly recommended!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I watched a film called Collateral yesterday. Had Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise in it. Quite a gritty film about how two unsuspecting people meet and the power play between them throughout the film. Quite a good one. I'd give it 8/10. Thoroughly recommended!

It's been a while since I have seen it, but I was really positively surprised and felt the same about it as you do.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the IM3 review. I've been pretty much successful in avoiding all the reviews until now in the hopes of watching it with fresh eyes....

oops.. sorry, buddy.

How did you like it, though? For "non-comic geeks", it was a lot of fun. Just us nerds who grew up with this were critical. "Star Wars" and comics WAS my childhood. I am a harsh critic for that reason.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting on some "Riddick" opinions... will most likely take the boy to see it this weekend. Just curious how this community liked it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Iron Man 3 didn't really live up to my expectations. I'd have preferred less of the man, and more of the iron. Pacing seemed a little slow. The saving grace was Ben Kinglsey.

I saw Fast & Furious 6 last night. Really enjoyed it for what it was. Some really nice fight scenes, good action, ludicrous idea of reality. Dwayne Jonhson helps to carry a somewhat lacklustre Vin Diesel.

Still kept thinking how much Gina Carano looks like Karren Brady. Boy did she kick ****.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
so I saw the Jobs movie and was very...disappointed...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, if you can even really spoil this movie because its mostly historical, I am still providing the necessary cautions anyways so nobody complains. Okay with that out of the way
heres what I thought of the movie. I feel that it wasn't as much of a biography about Jobs as much as it was a biography about apple. I thought Ashton kutcher was actually a decent Steve jobs in the movie, the problem was the duration at which they chose to tell the story. The first scene in the movie is Jobs showing the ipod and saying that it was going to revolutionize the industry. First, he might have said that, it sounds very jobs-esque, but it was itunes that revolutionized the industry. Aside from that note,t he issue I had with the movie is that the ending was too short, I mean, It only really talks about apple and doesn't mention anything really about Jobs we didn't already know. The major gripe I have is they left key parts about his life and the tech industry at the time out of the plot. I mean, nowhere is xerox even mentioned in the movie. Bill Gates and Jobs had this very interesting rival thing going on, not only is Bill gates nowhere in the movie, the part of the movie when MS comes out with windows and Jobs says that "they copied us" and then he goes and leaves a nasty message to Gates telling that he will sue him into the ground is like a minute long segment. I mean, that was a huge part about Jobs and Apple. Not only that, when Jobs gets fired from Apple, he worked at NeXt, (I have no idea if I'm spelling that right), for like 10 years and its mentioned in the movie for around 2 minutes. Yes, they liberally skipped about 10 years of his life and acted like it was nothing...

Not only that, influential people in Job's life, that worked at apple, are barely there. Jony Ive, probably one of the most influential people in Job's life and the look of apple in general is credited to this man, so how is he in the movie towards the very end for like 2 minutes as well? What really gets me thought is the ending, it ends when Apple introduces the colorful imac in 1998 and then jobs assumes control of Apple as CEO. The screen then cuts black and says "Apple was listed as the most valuable company in 2012". They didn't mention the iphone, the ipad, the macbooks, I mean, Apple didn't have a meteoric rise again until around 2005 when they launched the iphone, and then the ipad, etc. Its like the last 15 years of Job's life weren't important, when I personally thought that they were some of the more innovative times in his life. I wanted to see some kind of deathbed confession, or even something about the end of the man's life and nothing was mentioned of it. Its like a documentary about Apple and not Jobs that ends the documentary about half-way through their story! I thought the movie was definitely entertaining, but I didn't think it was very good. Please comment on what you though of the movie. Sorry if this got to be a little too much of a Rant, but I think it was a poorly done movie about one of the greatest innovators of our time!

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I've just put this on my list of "nerd movies not to watch", along with The Social Network.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I watched Pacific Rim recently. It was a little like Transformers meet Godzilla with likable characters and without the stupidity.
The end was kind of disappointing though, and the two scientists did not work at all as comic relief. They were just silly.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So I just went to go and see a film with George Clooney and Sandra Bullock. It was called Gravity. Without a doubt you need to go and see this film. Here's why:

This film is completely unlike anything I've ever seen before. In a normal film you may become involved with it but it has a definite plot that you're aware of. You roughly know when it's halfway done and when it's about to end. Gravity is the first film I've ever seen where I become wholly and completely so engrossed in the film that I would honestly have been happy to watch the entire length of the film again. I had no concept of any time passing when I saw this film.

See this film if you can. The way it was shot completely sucks you into each moment that passes, and means if need to see this on a big screen in the best cinema near you in 3D.

10/10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes