[Official] Movie Review Thread

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just saw "Equalizer".

You would think after "2 Guns", "Safehouse", and "The Book of Eli", these Russian mobsters would have known better then to mess with Denzel. For the love of all that is Holy, what were they thinking??

Just a fun flick with a stupid body count. Think Arnold's "Commando" crossed with a Jason Bourne movie, and you have got it. I really liked it.

8/10. And do NOT mess with Denzel, I don't care if he is 60.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Finally watched The Dark Knight Rises....and oh boy, what a disappointment!

I find that the hype about it is not a bit justified and I'm actually glad that Christopher Nolan will not shoot another Batman movie.
The next paragraph might contain SPOILERS, so anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet should probably stop reading here.

First of all the first half of the movie is just boring. Then the fights....oh boy....Batman's main antagonist here is BANE. Nonetheless do the fights look slow and amateurish.
Then the character changes......Bane without Venom? Without Spanish accent and different background story? This interpretation of Bane is - in my opinion - not worthy of the name. Just a bodybuilder with a mask.
Same goes for Catwoman and Talia al Ghul.

Overall, I was entertained by the movie, but as a Batman movie I found it rather disappointing.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot: Bane's voice. Seriously? I mean, seriously? xD

Last edited:

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Caught American Sniper over the weekend and have a whole new appreciation for what my podcast co-host and his platoon went through overseas.

He was one who had to go through clearing buildings while snipers like Chris Kyle provided overwatch protection. He actually met Chris at camp in Fallujah once and talked with him for a very short bit during meal time.

It is a wondeful movie that I feel everyone who has not served in the military should see to get a hint of what these guys & gals were going through over there.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Watched Lucy last night. It had the potential to be a good scifi movie, but they really blew with a lot of stupid scenes, which made it look like a low budget B movie. I'll give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The wife and I watched, "Before I Go To Sleep". We didn't have great expectations because it didn't get real good ratings. I have no idea why it got low ratings; we both thought it was a good movie and it kept our attention from the beginning to the end. It has a lot of unexpected twists that you don't see coming. Nicole Kidman did a great job.

Before I Go to Sleep - Official Movie Site - October 31st

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
K-On! The Movie

Well, what should I say? It's the movie to an anime series about a light music club in a girls-only highschool and their members. I really recommend watching the anime first because the scenario of the movie is set at the very end of the series.

The movie is about the light music club's graduation trip to London where they run into new challenges and old friends.

It's not a dramatic series with suspense and world-affecting problems, no, not at all. If anything than it is the complete opposite. Which doesn't mean that the story ain't entertaining.
If you're looking for a nice, calm, funny anime that is very moe then I can whole-heartedly recommend K-On! (but please watch the series - both seasons - before the movie).

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Bringing this thread back to life for the Summer Movie season... and in time for "Avengers: Age of Ultron". I will be at the closest IMAX theater to see it. May not be this weekend due to my kids and friends work schedules, but oh yes- it will happen. Excited to hear what everyone thinks about it.

Also- with the new Jurassic World, Ant-Man, Mad Max, San Andreas (with the Rock and California Earthquakes- how can they get that wrong??), a Terminator reboot, a Fantastic Four reboot, a Poltergeist reboot (I ain't buying this one- one of my favorite movies of all time. They better get it right.), and of COURSE the Minions movie, I hope this is a fun summer. Maybe not the best ever, but a good one.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't seen "Furious 7" yet, turn your brain off and go enjoy it. They got this right, from Vin Diesal kicking it, to Jason Statham knocking it out of the park as the evil heavy, to the tasteful ending and good-bye to Paul Walker.

Just fun and over the top. 7/10.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay.... Avengers: Age of Ultron:

Nerds Unite!! What a blast of a flick. One of the critics I read on "Rotten Tomatoes" summed this movie up the best when they said it was "10 pounds of movie in a 5 pound bag". They crammed so much into this bad boy I was nearly out of breathe halfway through. I will say you do not need to waste money on the IMAX or 3D versions of this. Standard screen showings are fine and you will lose nothing. But it is a fun movie from opening fight scenes to end credits. (No end credit scene though, so only need to stay for a quick 30-second mid credit teaser.)

8/10. Go enjoy.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Twin Peaks (pilot episode)

Amazing! I just don't know why I haven't watched this sooner.
Originally caught attention of it when Jim Sterling mentioned it and its references in his playthrough of "Deadly Premonition". Got hooked on watching the playthrough and want to play the game too, but with all the references and similarities to Twin Peaks I want to watch the series first.

So far the pilot episode is the best I have ever seen. Not this "okay, we'll just use the first and maybe even the second season to figure out what the audience likes and change the personalities of the characters" BS. No, this is fully fleshed out (watched the first season too). The characters are as lovable and despicable as it gets. I love the mixture of crime settings (the investigating) and absurdity (log lady, Cooper's methodology, etc.). The setting is totally down my alley (reminds me a bit of Alan Wake; this small, calm town surrounded by woods, shaken up by terrible events, but also X-Files).

For the plot: FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper is sent to the town of Twin Peaks to help in the murder-case of teenage girl Laura Palmer.

I can absolutely recommend this series to anyone who likes X-Files or old crime TV series in general, but don't underestimate the amount of absurdity (i.e. when Agent Cooper is totally serious, clarifying who's in charge of the case and then suddenly asks what kind of trees he sees all around and gets amazed so easily).

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Twin Peaks (pilot episode)

Amazing! I just don't know why I haven't watched this sooner.

So far the pilot episode is the best I have ever seen.

Agree. I was hooked when the series was first screen all those years ago.
So many quirky things in the series. Pies. Coffee. Giants. Dancing dwarf in the red room. "The owls are not what they seem"... Uncle Bob. Smiling bag....and David Duchovny in drag... !!

Last edited:

JTunn

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Finally watched The Dark Knight Rises....and oh boy, what a disappointment!

I find that the hype about it is not a bit justified and I'm actually glad that Christopher Nolan will not shoot another Batman movie.
The next paragraph might contain SPOILERS, so anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet should probably stop reading here.

First of all the first half of the movie is just boring. Then the fights....oh boy....Batman's main antagonist here is BANE. Nonetheless do the fights look slow and amateurish.
Then the character changes......Bane without Venom? Without Spanish accent and different background story? This interpretation of Bane is - in my opinion - not worthy of the name. Just a bodybuilder with a mask.
Same goes for Catwoman and Talia al Ghul.

Overall, I was entertained by the movie, but as a Batman movie I found it rather disappointing.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot: Bane's voice. Seriously? I mean, seriously? xD

I absolutely hate TDKR. Must be not only the worst one in the trilogy, but one of the worst Batman movies at this point. Everything is just so boring, by the end of the movie I didn't care for neither character.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone gonna review Mad Max Fury Road? Should be interesting....

This seems so like my kind of flick....

I am kinda hoping I can sneak it in sometime over the next couple days. I will sure share. But I am pumped about what everyone else thinks. This may be the rare remake that is actually better than the originals because of the advancements in movie tech will add to what is happening on the screen. The movie I can think of that is true about is "Fright Night". I loved the one from 1985. Fun, campy, and a good time. But the 2011 version forced me to say out loud that they really nailed it. "Mad Max" has that feel.

"Poltergeist", on the other hand, is treading on sacred ground for me. If you are going to remake that one, you better NOT go all in on special effects. It better be creepy, moody, and intense.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The trick was the desert was a pivotal character in the original Road Warrior. I loved the nitty gritty and quirkiness which was lost in the subsequent overproduced sequels.
Fingers cross..... hope to watch the movie when it make it to the local Cineplex here

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo