Getting into Technology Writing

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
For a long time in my life, I've loved writing. I enjoy well constructed articles, well researched arguments and perfectly formed prose.

At the moment I'm studying for a degree in Applied Computing while teaching myself programming in C# for Windows Phone and Windows 8 and while I love programming, and UX and UI design, I still feel that my real strength lies with words and writing. So, while this is directed at the many WPC staffers who regularly grace these forums, it is also equally aimed at anyone else who writes articles for other technology sites.

How did you get into this field? Was it through computing or journalism? Do you have any pointers as to how to build a reputation or how to get recognised as a technology writer? I look at some sites and see spelling and grammar and factual errors and feel like I could do better, that I could construct a better argument with better sources and that I could articulate my opinion in a clearer and more concise manner. I have A-Levels in English Literature (as well as ICT and Art) and a HND in Computing if that helps, but I'd really like to try and take writing to a level that would mean that I could actually make a living (at least part time) from. Is there any advice you could give in terms of achieving that goal?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Develop your skills with a blog. That way you have a body of work to show to anybody, and you develop your voice. You can then try to freelance for sites that will allow you to work your way up to a staff writing position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss