Will Nokia still be Nokia?? :(

GideonTerblanche

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
So im a little sad about this and im also glad :/ but my question is will Nokia software be the same and will we still get pr updates ?? Since Microsoft bought them :'(

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
So im a little sad about this and im also glad :/ but my question is will Nokia software be the same and will we still get pr updates ?? Since Microsoft bought them :'(

Of course Nokia will still be Nokia, albeit, in a different form. Lumia, on the other hand, will be Microsoft. How that will change the future development and innovation of Nokia's ex devices division remains to be seen. A big chunk of the employee base comes with the acquisition, but MSFT will certainly have an impact on the direction they take going forward. We all hope that the combination yields great results, but only time will tell if that's the case in the future.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I have such little faith in Microsoft...

Why's that?

Microsoft is no better/worse than any other large company. They had a successful business model and wielded their power, just as any past/present companies have. Now, they're a company in transition, who doesn't quite hold the same sway on the industry that they once did, so they change course and build a new business model. Whether they succeed or fail, business in the tech industry will remain unchanged. Some will hold positions of strength and use those positions to better their bottom lines; startups will attempt to compete, with some being successful and the majority being pushed/bought out. In the end, it doesn't matter, in the large scheme of things, whether it's MSFT, Google, Apple, Samsung etc. that's the biggest boy on the block. Business will remain business and they'll become the new stodgy, slow-moving company. They'll either change and adapt or risk falling by the wayside, much as Nokia has done. They change to survive.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
MS didn't buy Nokia. Do Nokia will still be Nokia.

MS just bought the phone division.

While that's technically true, it doesn't really change the perception that most people have of Nokia ceasing to exist. Let's face it, the vast majority of people know about Nokia because of their devices division. Nokia didn't build a fan base because of the other services and areas that they were involved in, but because they made greatly designed and innovative devices.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
While that's technically true, it doesn't really change the perception that most people have of Nokia ceasing to exist. Let's face it, the vast majority of people know about Nokia because of their devices division. Nokia didn't build a fan base because of the other services and areas that they were involved in, but because they made greatly designed and innovative devices.

But the REALITY is tha Nokia still exists. And their services will be used by Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone. So everyone with a Windows 8, Windows RT, or Windows Phone will be Nokia customers. Heck, maybe even add XBOX to that.

Nokia will be fine.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
But the REALITY is tha Nokia still exists. And their services will be used by Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone. So everyone with a Windows 8, Windows RT, or Windows Phone will be Nokia customers. Heck, maybe even add XBOX to that.

Nokia will be fine.

I agree. Nokia did what they needed to do to survive and become profitable again. Now they get to concentrate on those other areas and keep an iconic company going. Changed, but still around, and who knows what the future holds for them.

My point about the perception of Nokia, with consumers, is still a valid one though. While Nokia survives and may even flourish, in many of their loyal fan base minds, they are no longer.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Nokia did what they needed to do to survive and become profitable again. Now they get to concentrate on those other areas and keep an iconic company going. Changed, but still around, and who knows what the future holds for them.

My point about the perception of Nokia, with consumers, is still a valid one though. While Nokia survives and may even flourish, in many of their loyal fan base minds, they are no longer.

Yeah. That could impact sales for MS.

But when someone uses location services on their Windows computer, tablet, game system, or mobile device they'll probably see HERE "powered by Nokia"... or something like that. And then a little smile will come over their face knowing that Nokia is still alive and kicking.

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

I think updates will be easier for MS to finish and roll out now that they have it al "in house"

As for Nokia software it will remain, maybe not as exclusive since it might scare other OEM's away if they aren't already running.

But as a WP user we will still see innovative stuff from those departments that created all the goodies in the Nokia section of the store.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. That could impact sales for MS.

But when someone uses location services on their Windows computer, tablet, game system, or mobile device they'll probably see HERE "powered by Nokia"... or something like that. And then a little smile will come over their face knowing that Nokia is still alive and kicking.

Not just on Microsoft products either. Things like the mapping services will end up on many platforms, that's the reason Nokia fought so hard to hang onto the division. There's plenty of room for Nokia to expand and build out that service alone, which would bold well for their future.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Not just on Microsoft products either. Things like the mapping services will end up on many platforms, that's the reason Nokia fought so hard to hang onto the division. There's plenty of room for Nokia to expand and build out that service alone, which would bold well for their future.

Yup. I just mentioned MS products because the deal is already done and it's huge.

But being in other phones and tablets, as well as cars all around the world, will be very good business for them.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
All I really hope MS does is make the software and let the nokia division they bought do what they do best: hardware. I'm not worried though because even the current MS hardware is awesome, I have a surface and absolutely love it, its a very well designed device. The best part about them buying nokia is that its makes a surface phone seem like something that will happen instead of a maybe "well get to it but we don't want to **** off our OEMs.." kind of idea that won't really happen. Now they don't have to worry about their OEMS for their phone division, especially since HTC and samsung only kinda did a mediocre job with them any way...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo