09-06-2013 09:38 PM
80 1234
tools
    Mine's working fine!
    Thanks, still showing an error for me, I thought microsoft was already changing some things.

I really wanted nokia to be independent of Microsoft at least for the time being, bit in a broader perspective, the pros out weight the cons. Can't really wait to see the products next year, and hardware and software integration on par with apple.
    09-03-2013 07:08 AM
    So, basically, I could sell you a turd if I stamped a Nokia logo onto it? IMHO that is pretty much Nokia's version of an iSheep.

If you like your phone now, then you should be perfectly happy with what comes in the future. All of Nokia's devices and services employees are becoming Microsoft employees, and ultimately, it is those people that matter, not the logo or band name. The people, their talent and their creativity, is what made Nokia what it is. That isn't changing. WP's and Lumia's future will be shaped by the same people.
    I think he trusts Nokia better than Microsoft

That was the same case for me as well.

I will buy a turd if it has nokia stamp but I won't spend anything even if MS offers it for 99% discount because My experience with MS has always been pathetic while experience with Nokia has always been so nice.I am done with MS in 2012 itself.

That doesn't mean I hate them.I still recommend their products to someone for whom it works but for me ? No way.

Only product I will be using from MS is Windows OS.

Call me sheep or whatever name you want , I don't care much.
    09-03-2013 10:35 AM
    I hope they keep the name and design team as it seems like a lot of the Lumia sales were because it is a Nokia, not a windows phone. The only reason I personally like and got interested in windows phone was because of Nokia and otherwise I would probably never would have considered it because of the lack of apps and features at the time.
    tgp and Dazzi like this.
    09-03-2013 10:53 AM
    I hope they keep the name and design team as it seems like a lot of the Lumia sales were because it is a Nokia, not a windows phone. The only reason I personally like and got interested in windows phone was because of Nokia and otherwise I would probably never would have considered it because of the lack of apps and features at the time.
    I was pretty much the same as you. I was looking for a new platform after dissatisfaction with BlackBerry. Since I had been a Nokia Symbian user prior to BlackBerry, I moved back to Nokia for Windows Phone. I already knew Nokia made great hardware, and I liked Nokia Maps. Windows Phone itself grew on me, but it was Nokia that led me to even try Windows Phone.
    09-03-2013 10:59 AM
    I think he trusts Nokia better than Microsoft

That was the same case for me as well.

I will buy a turd if it has nokia stamp but I won't spend anything even if MS offers it for 99% discount because My experience with MS has always been pathetic while experience with Nokia has always been so nice.I am done with MS in 2012 itself.

That doesn't mean I hate them.I still recommend their products to someone for whom it works but for me ? No way.

Only product I will be using from MS is Windows OS.

Call me sheep or whatever name you want , I don't care much.
    I'm glad I can hold that opinion of you without you being offended then.

Obviously you disagree, but like I said, it's not the brand that matters. It's organization, the culture and the people behind the product that matter.

What I would have found tragic is if Nokia had shuttered its devices and services division, sold off the scraps, and licensed the Nokia brand name to the highest bidder. That would have been far worse, as you would still have your beloved brand, but none of the talent that made it what you once loved. As it is now, we have the opposite. We loose the Nokia brand, but still have all the same people doing the work. Almost the entire leadership team is coming over as well. It's the much better deal.

Anyone that liked Nokia's WP devices so far will like all their future products just as much. If you didn't like Nokia's WP devices, then you already made up your mind before this transaction was announced.
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    09-03-2013 11:34 AM
    Obviously you disagree, but like I said, it's not the brand that matters. It's organization, the culture and the people behind the product that matter.
    Those people are now under MS management (or soon will be) and that management has proven itself severely incompetent where it comes to Windows Phone as well as several other areas.
    theefman and Dazzi like this.
    09-03-2013 12:28 PM
    Those people are now under MS management (or soon will be) and that management has proven itself severely incompetent where it comes to Windows Phone as well as several other areas.
    Can't say I disagree with that. And going from the urgency and drive that Nokia had as a company pushing WP to the typically sedate Microsoft pace of progress is going to negatively impact the signature Nokia experience we have come to enjoy.
    09-03-2013 12:52 PM
    Anyone that liked Nokia's WP devices so far will like all their future products just as much. If you didn't like Nokia's WP devices, then you already made up your mind before this transaction was announced.
    Motorola has closed down operations in several countries after Google's Acquisitions.Now they operate very differently with a new strategy.
    So NO , even if same people work , Management will still be different and they operate with complete control from higher MS authority.
    09-03-2013 01:16 PM
    While true, we likely disagree on the significance of that. These people are still geographically separate from Redmond, Elop is still their boss, and there is a chance Elop will soon run all of MS. Even if Elop isn't named CEO, the difference is basically one single person placed above him. One single person does not a corporate culture make, not to mention that negatively influencing Nokia's corporate culture across the Atlantic isn't going to happen, at least not in any way that matters.

If MS were to significantly reduce funding for Nokia's ex devices and services division, then I'll change my mind and adopt your position, but from what I've read that isn't the idea. MS really is taking the whole "shebang" under their wing and leaving the existing management structure almost completely in tact. IMHO that is what really matters.

Motorola has closed down operations in several countries after Google's Acquisitions.Now they operate very differently with a new strategy.
    So NO , even if same people work , Management will still be different and they operate with complete control from higher MS authority.
    If by "management" you mean that one single person will be added to the top of the organizational chart, then yes, that will be different (see above my opinion on how important that is). However, we don't really yet know how this will turn out. Elop himself might succeed Balmer as CEO, in which case there would be almost zero difference compared to Nokia today.

Nokia and Microsoft already work very closely. They had already aligned their roadmaps and strategies (MS had to be convinced that attacking the low-end is the better approach than trying to out-Apple iOS at the high end). MS gets that now. Nokia was already by far the most successful WP OEM and Microsoft will want to push their strategy forward even harder. This is not even remotely similar to the position of Motorola when it was acquired by Google.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-2013 02:13 PM
    So, basically, I could sell you a turd if I stamped a Nokia logo onto it? IMHO that is pretty much Nokia's version of an iSheep.

If you like your phone now, then you should be perfectly happy with what comes in the future. All of Nokia's devices and services employees are becoming Microsoft employees, and ultimately, it is those people that matter, not the logo or band name. The people, their talent and their creativity, is what made Nokia what it is. That isn't changing. WP's and Lumia's future will be shaped by the same people.
    I get what you mean, except for the bit about brand name. By your logic, Pepsi or Coca Cola could change their names, and it wouldn't have a negative effect on sales -- brand name is everything and if they don't use the Nokia logo, then I think Lumia sales will slump.
    09-03-2013 02:33 PM
    The only reason I bought my Lumia 620 is for the brand name of Nokia, and not Windows Phone. If the brand name of Nokia dies, I'll surely switch to Android or iOS.
    Why? Seriously, why? If the product is the same and works the same as what you're used to, what is the impetus to change to another platform? I just don't get all the angst.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:01 PM
    Wow, people saying that they are going to jump ship because of potential Microsoft branding is ridiculous.

And potential is the key word here. There has been no conformation the Nokia name is going to die, elop is going to be the head of devices and services for Nokia and msft, which means the current Microsoft head of this division will answer to him Nokia doesn't have to die, i don't think it will.

Even if it does...the same people will be making it, designing it, having final say so what difference does it make? Its not as if msft have bought Nokia with the intention of firing the Nokia employees who made the Nokia windows phone as awesome as they are now. The development life cycle will remain the same regardless.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:17 PM
    And brand name is everything. Hence why nokias stock has increased 35% since this was announced. Now that is brand power.
    Dazzi likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:17 PM
    I get what you mean, except for the bit about brand name. By your logic, Pepsi or Coca Cola could change their names, and it wouldn't have a negative effect on sales -- brand name is everything and if they don't use the Nokia logo, then I think Lumia sales will slump.
    I agree that loosing the Nokia brand in the WP ecosystem may negatively impact sales. However, we aren't talking about the same things.

My reply was to someone that posted at WPC. I assume such a person has a bit more than just a passive and mild interest in smartphone technology. IMHO none of us here at WPC are so ignorant, that we should have to resort to brand names as a means of making our smartphone purchasing choices. Brand based marketing is targeted at people who know little to nothing about the actual products, but that isn't us, is it? We know a lot more about what is going on in the smartphone industry and we're far more aware of our own technological wants and needs, so we should be able to better judge devices on their actual merits and what is important to us, rather than just by the brand sticker. In this case, the enthusiast community should also recognize that the same people who made the devices we enjoyed, are still making new devices, just under a different name.

I don't expect the average consumer to pick up on that though... that would be asking too much.
    cw1988 likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:30 PM
    I wonder about Nokia exclusive apps, will they go non-exclusive now? Would be a good thing for HTC, Samsung, etc. users.

I'd imagine only hardware specific apps would remain, unless they want muddy the water with with other hardware makers.
    09-03-2013 04:27 PM
    Many people buy things because of the name. Nokia is famous because of its build quality and because of that they will always buy Nokia
    I'm pretty sure that , here soon, they won't be buying Nokia. There will be no devices to buy from Nokia, but, there will be devices to buy from, in a large part, the team that used to be Nokia. There's no indication that the quality, innovation, design, etc. of Nokia is going anywhere. Does it matter what the name is, if the same philosophies and people that that embody that are still going strong? It may to some, but than we have to ask: What were their loyalties really too, a name or a design philosophy? Now, it may pan out that MSFT drastically changes the things that made Nokia a infamous brand or it may pan out that they build and continue along the same path that helped make the name of Nokia iconic. We just don't know. Instead of people lamenting the death of Nokia, maybe they should give it a little time and see where Microsoft takes it. If the things that created Nokia loyalists continue than and they can't accept that, because of an ownership change, than what were they really loyal too? A perceived image or a design scheme and quality phone maker?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-2013 08:14 PM
    Maybe it will be the Surface branding...

Maybe they will call them all Ballmer, out of love and respect...

Maybe the will call them Aikon, which is Nokia backwards....

Maybe we should wait and see the structure, features, and the way the device is assembled before we swear them off or give them our loyalty?
    Laura Knotek and tgp like this.
    09-03-2013 10:59 PM

Yes, to be honest I dont know about Windows Phone until Nokia uses it,that is the first time that I heard about this OS. We are here because Of Nokia, we are fans of Nokia not Windows Phone. You see there are a lot of WP users now its because of Nokia, those are the Symbian Users and S40 users.
    09-04-2013 01:07 AM
    One more thing we dont want NOKIA to die in the smartphone industry. I hope Nokia will comeback in 2016.
    09-04-2013 01:09 AM
    One more thing we dont want NOKIA to die in the smartphone industry. I hope Nokia will comeback in 2016.
    Nokia is destined to disappear in the smartphone industry. To become nothing more than a distant memory. I don't see MS keeping the Nokia name for very long and I doubt the Lumia name will last much longer after that. I can't say for certain what MS will call the phone but it may just simply be Windows Phone.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 09-04-2013 at 04:45 AM.
    09-04-2013 02:26 AM
    I'm guessing that Nokia will become more known for components and location services when it comes to phones.

Flexible screens. Charging through radio waves. Etc...
    09-04-2013 02:45 AM
    I'm guessing that Nokia will become more known for components and location services when it comes to phones.

Flexible screens. Charging through radio waves. Etc...
    Nokia doesn't make components, that was part of the phone division. Which will no longer be Nokia. What's left of Nokia is the location services and it's NSN division. Neither make much money.
    09-04-2013 04:53 AM
    Nokia doesn't make components, that was part of the phone division. Which will no longer be Nokia. What's left of Nokia is the location services and it's NSN division. Neither make much money.
    Wrong, Nokia plans to focus on its three established businesses, each of which is a leader in enabling mobility in its respective
    market segment: NSN, a leader in network
    infrastructure and services; HERE, a leader in
    mapping and location services; and Advanced Technologies, a leader in technology
    development and licensing.
    tobz121 likes this.
    09-04-2013 06:55 AM
    What a ludicrous reply. If someone buys a Lumia because it's Nokia not because it's windows - it doesn't make them an iSheep moron. They might just be buying it for the following... Nokia reputation for build quality; the glove-friendly touchscreen; the brightness compensator in direct sunlight; nokia maps; nokia city lens; nokia drive; nokia music; wireless charging; bright yellow or red or blue colours; the pureview camera; the sound equaliser...etc..etc.. These are all features I thought were NOKIA not WP8?

I'm with TerenceJohn27. I bought my Lumia 920 for the above reasons, and not at all because it was a windows operating system. If anything, that was the one thing I did not want. It's ok, and the tiles are quite nice, but really, most if not all of those innovations could/would have been introduced on a Meego phone, or a Nokia android or whatever. they didn't need Microsoft windows OS for most if not all those features.

To say that he should be perfectly happy with what comes in the future is also hogwash. Microsoft are not Nokia, and while there will be a transitional period where much might feel the same, it will be a completely different beast in the years to come. The quality and innovation may remain. It may not. The people/talent/creativity is exactly what made Nokia what it was, and currently is. The chief Lumia designer Marko Ahtisaari already announced yesterday he's leaving. Loads of previous staff are now bringing out the Jolla phone, using the Elop-abandoned Meego platform.

So to say that the Lumia's future will be shaped by the same people is nonsense. It is what it is however. I for one am very disappointed and sad. The Finnish influence, and their commitment to good work ethics, sustainability, labour rights, decent pay, recycling, producing products in Europe, treating employees well, etc. - is pretty much gone for good. The race to the bottom between Microsoft and Apple to produce things cheaper and cheaper via the far-East will continue. The brand and the logo and the ethics of the company certainly DO matter. One only has to look at the Greenpeace 'Green Electronics' Scorecards year on year... Nokia always near the top. As a small part of the wider behemoth that is Microsoft, there is no certainty that any of what you say will eventuate. So it is completely reasonable and fair for someone to say they bought a WP phone for the hardware rather than the software. I certainly did.
    tgp and Sanjay Chandra like this.
    09-04-2013 07:13 AM
    that's a over-simplification of reality. The short-term won't see massive change, but mid-longer it impacts massively on Finland and Europe for one thing. People on this side of the Atlantic bought Nokias for their build and innovation. Whether that remains with MS in charge is anyone's guess. MS have done ok with XBox, but their influence over other hardware thus far has been an utter failure - Microsoft KIN anyone? Surface RT tablet anyone? (yes the fanboys in here like them, but the $900 million loss on these says otherwise in the actual real world!)
    09-04-2013 07:20 AM
80 1234