Now That Microsoft owns Nokia Devices

Terence John Vidal

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I dont know what should I feel right now, Im a Nokia Fan since day 1. I'm hoping that they will still use Nokia brand I dont want Nokia to die. :unhappysweat:

PS. now that Microsoft owns Nokia Devices all HTC and Samsung Fans should not complain about Nokia news everyday.....here in WPCentral

Last edited:

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
My understanding, is that it's simply the feature phones that will be allowed to use the Nokia branding. I don't think it's a question of what MSFT would prefer, but a question of Nokia (which will still exist, but in a different form) being able to protect and utilize the brand name that they've built over a century. So no, I don't think branding smartphones with the Nokia name is going to be an option going forward; unless new terms can be reached between the two.

Last edited:

Terence John Vidal

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My understanding, is that it's simply the feature phones that will be allowed to use the Nokia branding. I don't think it's a question of what MSFT would prefer, but a question of Nokia (which will still exist, but in a different form) being able to protect and utilize the brand name that they've built over a century. So no, I don't think branding smartphones with the Nokia name is going to be an option going forward; unless new terms can be reached between the two.

Yes, Microsoft will still use Nokia Branding on Asha Devices but I'm hoping that they will still use it for Lumia Devices. Can Nokia still create phones?

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I dont know what should I feel right now, Im a Nokia Fan since day 1. I'm hoping that they will still use Nokia brand I dont want Nokia to die. :unhappysweat:

PS. now that Microsoft owns Nokia Devices all HTC and Samsung Fans should not complain about Nokia news everyday.....here in WPCentral

Fan of Nokia here, not Microsoft. The emotional attachment is with Nokia, not Microsoft. If future phones will be branded Microsoft Lumia or whatever the name be - then I don't think I will be buying them simply put. I want to own the brand Nokia, not simply Microsoft.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Fan of Nokia here, not Microsoft. The emotional attachment is with Nokia, not Microsoft. If future phones will be branded Microsoft Lumia or whatever the name be - then I don't think I will be buying them simply put. I want to own the brand Nokia, not simply Microsoft.

I'm wondering the exact same thing as you are. I just hope Nokia will still have Nokia branding on their products.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
IMO this is great news. This will bring the two companies closer together and we will see more updates, better hardware, more epic stuff!;

Also in not worried about frequency of updates or branding as elop will still be top dawg of the devices and services division, the current head of devices and services in msft will answer to elop regardless if he gets CEO or not.

This is awesome :)

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Microsoft will still use Nokia Branding on Asha Devices but I'm hoping that they will still use it for Lumia Devices. Can Nokia still create phones?

In a word, no. Making devices requires a great deal of infrastructure and resources. Selling those assets off is Nokia's way if saying, we no longer make devices. If making devices was their intention for the future than they'd be insane to sell the infrastructure to do so off to Microsoft. To build that up again from scratch, in the competitive environment of today, just isn't going to happen.

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I bought my Lumia 620 is for the brand name of Nokia, and not Windows Phone. If the brand name of Nokia dies, I'll surely switch to Android or iOS.

What is going to be the future of feature phones? Microsoft makes the OS, but those feature phones don't need it...

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 800 last year, simply because I wanted a Nokia. Irs my first smartphone. And I had not much of an idea of different OSes. I've only owned Nokia phones since my first cellphone in 2001.
After using WP, im sure my next phone will be a WP. Im not jumping ship to android or ios simply because MS bought Nokia.
Earlier, in the feature phone era, the Nokia brand did matter. Today its more about the OS. And for me, WP is what works well.

Last edited:

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Owning the brand Nokia is not going to be an option, at least not in smartphones.

So, if Microsoft slaps a Nokia label on the phones, even though Nokia has no control over the development, than would you buy one? Nokia is just a name. While the name has history, the important factor isn't really that name. If MSFT continues to build with the same design quality and much of the same employees base, doesn't it make little sense to let your love of the name hold you back? What are your options? Will you now learn to love the names, Samsung, Apple, HTC, etc? Will moving on to one of those names be better than moving on to, what could still be, in essence, Nokia, but with a newer, shinier name? Sorry, but I don't see how the love of Nokia makes you go away from a brand that now encompasses everything that used to be Nokia, simply for the love of a name. If time passes and you don't think MSFT continues the things that made loyalists in the first place than I'd understand, but as of now, the new Lumia/Asha is the closest thing you'll be getting to what was once your beloved brand.

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering the exact same thing as you are. I just hope Nokia will still have Nokia branding on their products.

I am deeply disappointed with this news of buyout. I have been convincing people proudly of switching over to Nokia, not switching over to the WP8 OS. Nokia is what driving the sales, not MSFT. Can't believe just a legendary company sold out for a penny.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I am deeply disappointed with this news of buyout. I have been convincing people proudly of switching over to Nokia, not switching over to the WP8 OS. Nokia is what driving the sales, not MSFT. Can't believe just a legendary company sold out for a penny.

The company isn't being sold out. They are just selling one division. One of the most expensive divisions and the least profitable. 5 billion for a division that looses money isn't a bad price.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Lumia
because it was a nokia product not
because it runs Windows Phone

But it did run WP and was going to for the foreseeable future. So, what has really changed in that regard? The same staff will be designing and building/updating the new phones as that's the infrastructure already in place, so I see little difference for the near term. How things will shake out long term is anybody's guess.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I haven't been trying to switch people to Nokia phones, but to Windows Phone in general.

I know that i might be overreacting, but it's gonna be so disappointing when we see the first Microsoft Lumia.

TerenceJohn27

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
But it did run WP and was going to for the foreseeable future. So, what has really changed in that regard? The same staff will be designing and building/updating the new phones as that's the infrastructure already in place, so I see little difference for the near term. How things will shake out long term is
anybody's guess.

Many people buy things because of the name. Nokia is famous because of its build quality and because of that they will always buy Nokia

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos