Now That Microsoft owns Nokia Devices

Amritash Pathania

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I dnt know why you guys are over reacting for a name .team ll be the same . I find changing the os jus coz msft owned nokia nd changed its name is quite silly reason as we already know 32000 staff is migrating. Minds will be same

Sent from window's phone 8.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any real issues with this but I'll state what I don't like about it. I'd like to be clear about one thing first. I don't really care who makes my handset as long as everything is good. Right now, WP8 OS is not perfect and the hardware is close to perfect. I'm waiting until WP8.1 to make my decision if I stay or go. I'm not brand loyal though it was Nokia that got me into WP.

My points:

It seemed obvious once Elop announced WP was going to the be the only OS for Nokia most people knew who were in the business where things were heading. There was little left to the imagination. Elop was ex-MS. There was no alternative choice in OS. Android was never considered. Meego (N9) got rave reviews but Elop crushed the devices' ability to sell.

Everything pointed to a MS buyout and surprise (well to some) it happened. Now it's looking like Elop will be the next CEO of MS. Good for him. Let's hope he can fix MS as well as he fixed Nokia. I wonder who will buy MS now....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Lumia
because it was a nokia product not
because it runs Windows Phone

I'm afraid that this is probably the case for a lot of WP users; they bought the device because it's a Nokia. Now I'm assuming you knew all about WP and you knew that's what you were getting, but how many users have no clue what the OS is? Or at least they didn't base their decision to purchase on that? It's said that some Samsung owners don't know that their devices' OS is Android. I would think that dropping the Nokia name will have a negative effect on sales.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Lumia
because it was a nokia product not
because it runs Windows Phone

So, basically, I could sell you a turd if I stamped a Nokia logo onto it? IMHO that is pretty much Nokia's version of an iSheep.

If you like your phone now, then you should be perfectly happy with what comes in the future. All of Nokia's devices and services employees are becoming Microsoft employees, and ultimately, it is those people that matter, not the logo or band name. The people, their talent and their creativity, is what made Nokia what it is. That isn't changing. WP's and Lumia's future will be shaped by the same people.

Cubeddd

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine's working fine!

Thanks, still showing an error for me, I thought microsoft was already changing some things.

I really wanted nokia to be independent of Microsoft at least for the time being, bit in a broader perspective, the pros out weight the cons. Can't really wait to see the products next year, and hardware and software integration on par with apple.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
So, basically, I could sell you a turd if I stamped a Nokia logo onto it? IMHO that is pretty much Nokia's version of an iSheep.

If you like your phone now, then you should be perfectly happy with what comes in the future. All of Nokia's devices and services employees are becoming Microsoft employees, and ultimately, it is those people that matter, not the logo or band name. The people, their talent and their creativity, is what made Nokia what it is. That isn't changing. WP's and Lumia's future will be shaped by the same people.

I think he trusts Nokia better than Microsoft

That was the same case for me as well.

I will buy a turd if it has nokia stamp but I won't spend anything even if MS offers it for 99% discount because My experience with MS has always been pathetic while experience with Nokia has always been so nice.I am done with MS in 2012 itself.

That doesn't mean I hate them.I still recommend their products to someone for whom it works but for me ? No way.

Only product I will be using from MS is Windows OS.

Call me sheep or whatever name you want , I don't care much.

rea2013

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I hope they keep the name and design team as it seems like a lot of the Lumia sales were because it is a Nokia, not a windows phone. The only reason I personally like and got interested in windows phone was because of Nokia and otherwise I would probably never would have considered it because of the lack of apps and features at the time.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I hope they keep the name and design team as it seems like a lot of the Lumia sales were because it is a Nokia, not a windows phone. The only reason I personally like and got interested in windows phone was because of Nokia and otherwise I would probably never would have considered it because of the lack of apps and features at the time.
I was pretty much the same as you. I was looking for a new platform after dissatisfaction with BlackBerry. Since I had been a Nokia Symbian user prior to BlackBerry, I moved back to Nokia for Windows Phone. I already knew Nokia made great hardware, and I liked Nokia Maps. Windows Phone itself grew on me, but it was Nokia that led me to even try Windows Phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think he trusts Nokia better than Microsoft

That was the same case for me as well.

I will buy a turd if it has nokia stamp but I won't spend anything even if MS offers it for 99% discount because My experience with MS has always been pathetic while experience with Nokia has always been so nice.I am done with MS in 2012 itself.

That doesn't mean I hate them.I still recommend their products to someone for whom it works but for me ? No way.

Only product I will be using from MS is Windows OS.

Call me sheep or whatever name you want , I don't care much.

I'm glad I can hold that opinion of you without you being offended then.

Obviously you disagree, but like I said, it's not the brand that matters. It's organization, the culture and the people behind the product that matter.

What I would have found tragic is if Nokia had shuttered its devices and services division, sold off the scraps, and licensed the Nokia brand name to the highest bidder. That would have been far worse, as you would still have your beloved brand, but none of the talent that made it what you once loved. As it is now, we have the opposite. We loose the Nokia brand, but still have all the same people doing the work. Almost the entire leadership team is coming over as well. It's the much better deal.

Anyone that liked Nokia's WP devices so far will like all their future products just as much. If you didn't like Nokia's WP devices, then you already made up your mind before this transaction was announced.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Obviously you disagree, but like I said, it's not the brand that matters. It's organization, the culture and the people behind the product that matter.

Those people are now under MS management (or soon will be) and that management has proven itself severely incompetent where it comes to Windows Phone as well as several other areas.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Those people are now under MS management (or soon will be) and that management has proven itself severely incompetent where it comes to Windows Phone as well as several other areas.

Can't say I disagree with that. And going from the urgency and drive that Nokia had as a company pushing WP to the typically sedate Microsoft pace of progress is going to negatively impact the signature Nokia experience we have come to enjoy.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Anyone that liked Nokia's WP devices so far will like all their future products just as much. If you didn't like Nokia's WP devices, then you already made up your mind before this transaction was announced.

Motorola has closed down operations in several countries after Google's Acquisitions.Now they operate very differently with a new strategy.
So NO , even if same people work , Management will still be different and they operate with complete control from higher MS authority.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

While true, we likely disagree on the significance of that. These people are still geographically separate from Redmond, Elop is still their boss, and there is a chance Elop will soon run all of MS. Even if Elop isn't named CEO, the difference is basically one single person placed above him. One single person does not a corporate culture make, not to mention that negatively influencing Nokia's corporate culture across the Atlantic isn't going to happen, at least not in any way that matters.

If MS were to significantly reduce funding for Nokia's ex devices and services division, then I'll change my mind and adopt your position, but from what I've read that isn't the idea. MS really is taking the whole "shebang" under their wing and leaving the existing management structure almost completely in tact. IMHO that is what really matters.

Motorola has closed down operations in several countries after Google's Acquisitions.Now they operate very differently with a new strategy.
So NO , even if same people work , Management will still be different and they operate with complete control from higher MS authority.

If by "management" you mean that one single person will be added to the top of the organizational chart, then yes, that will be different (see above my opinion on how important that is). However, we don't really yet know how this will turn out. Elop himself might succeed Balmer as CEO, in which case there would be almost zero difference compared to Nokia today.

Nokia and Microsoft already work very closely. They had already aligned their roadmaps and strategies (MS had to be convinced that attacking the low-end is the better approach than trying to out-Apple iOS at the high end). MS gets that now. Nokia was already by far the most successful WP OEM and Microsoft will want to push their strategy forward even harder. This is not even remotely similar to the position of Motorola when it was acquired by Google.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site

I get what you mean, except for the bit about brand name. By your logic, Pepsi or Coca Cola could change their names, and it wouldn't have a negative effect on sales -- brand name is everything and if they don't use the Nokia logo, then I think Lumia sales will slump.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I bought my Lumia 620 is for the brand name of Nokia, and not Windows Phone. If the brand name of Nokia dies, I'll surely switch to Android or iOS.

Why? Seriously, why? If the product is the same and works the same as what you're used to, what is the impetus to change to another platform? I just don't get all the angst.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow, people saying that they are going to jump ship because of potential Microsoft branding is ridiculous.

And potential is the key word here. There has been no conformation the Nokia name is going to die, elop is going to be the head of devices and services for Nokia and msft, which means the current Microsoft head of this division will answer to him Nokia doesn't have to die, i don't think it will.

Even if it does...the same people will be making it, designing it, having final say so what difference does it make? Its not as if msft have bought Nokia with the intention of firing the Nokia employees who made the Nokia windows phone as awesome as they are now. The development life cycle will remain the same regardless.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
And brand name is everything. Hence why nokias stock has increased 35% since this was announced. Now that is brand power.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I get what you mean, except for the bit about brand name. By your logic, Pepsi or Coca Cola could change their names, and it wouldn't have a negative effect on sales -- brand name is everything and if they don't use the Nokia logo, then I think Lumia sales will slump.

I agree that loosing the Nokia brand in the WP ecosystem may negatively impact sales. However, we aren't talking about the same things.

My reply was to someone that posted at WPC. I assume such a person has a bit more than just a passive and mild interest in smartphone technology. IMHO none of us here at WPC are so ignorant, that we should have to resort to brand names as a means of making our smartphone purchasing choices. Brand based marketing is targeted at people who know little to nothing about the actual products, but that isn't us, is it? We know a lot more about what is going on in the smartphone industry and we're far more aware of our own technological wants and needs, so we should be able to better judge devices on their actual merits and what is important to us, rather than just by the brand sticker. In this case, the enthusiast community should also recognize that the same people who made the devices we enjoyed, are still making new devices, just under a different name.

I don't expect the average consumer to pick up on that though... that would be asking too much.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I wonder about Nokia exclusive apps, will they go non-exclusive now? Would be a good thing for HTC, Samsung, etc. users.

I'd imagine only hardware specific apps would remain, unless they want muddy the water with with other hardware makers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo