Now That Microsoft owns Nokia Devices

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Many people buy things because of the name. Nokia is famous because of its build quality and because of that they will always buy Nokia

I'm pretty sure that , here soon, they won't be buying Nokia. There will be no devices to buy from Nokia, but, there will be devices to buy from, in a large part, the team that used to be Nokia. There's no indication that the quality, innovation, design, etc. of Nokia is going anywhere. Does it matter what the name is, if the same philosophies and people that that embody that are still going strong? It may to some, but than we have to ask: What were their loyalties really too, a name or a design philosophy? Now, it may pan out that MSFT drastically changes the things that made Nokia a infamous brand or it may pan out that they build and continue along the same path that helped make the name of Nokia iconic. We just don't know. Instead of people lamenting the death of Nokia, maybe they should give it a little time and see where Microsoft takes it. If the things that created Nokia loyalists continue than and they can't accept that, because of an ownership change, than what were they really loyal too? A perceived image or a design scheme and quality phone maker?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it will be the Surface branding...

Maybe they will call them all Ballmer, out of love and respect...

Maybe the will call them Aikon, which is Nokia backwards....

Maybe we should wait and see the structure, features, and the way the device is assembled before we swear them off or give them our loyalty?

Terence John Vidal

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So, basically, I could sell you a turd if I stamped a Nokia logo onto it? IMHO that is pretty much Nokia's version of an iSheep.

If you like your phone now, then you should be perfectly happy with what comes in the future. All of Nokia's devices and services employees are becoming Microsoft employees, and ultimately, it is those people that matter, not the logo or band name. The people, their talent and their creativity, is what made Nokia what it is. That isn't changing. WP's and Lumia's future will be shaped by the same people.

Yes, to be honest I dont know about Windows Phone until Nokia uses it,that is the first time that I heard about this OS. We are here because Of Nokia, we are fans of Nokia not Windows Phone. You see there are a lot of WP users now its because of Nokia, those are the Symbian Users and S40 users.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
One more thing we dont want NOKIA to die in the smartphone industry. I hope Nokia will comeback in 2016.

Nokia is destined to disappear in the smartphone industry. To become nothing more than a distant memory. I don't see MS keeping the Nokia name for very long and I doubt the Lumia name will last much longer after that. I can't say for certain what MS will call the phone but it may just simply be Windows Phone.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing that Nokia will become more known for components and location services when it comes to phones.

Flexible screens. Charging through radio waves. Etc...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing that Nokia will become more known for components and location services when it comes to phones.

Flexible screens. Charging through radio waves. Etc...

Nokia doesn't make components, that was part of the phone division. Which will no longer be Nokia. What's left of Nokia is the location services and it's NSN division. Neither make much money.

TerenceJohn27

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Nokia doesn't make components, that was part of the phone division. Which will no longer be Nokia. What's left of Nokia is the location services and it's NSN division. Neither make much money.

Wrong, Nokia plans to focus on its three established businesses, each of which is a leader in enabling mobility in its respective
market segment: NSN, a leader in network
infrastructure and services; HERE, a leader in
mapping and location services; and Advanced Technologies, a leader in technology
development and licensing.

tobz121

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
What a ludicrous reply. If someone buys a Lumia because it's Nokia not because it's windows - it doesn't make them an iSheep moron. They might just be buying it for the following... Nokia reputation for build quality; the glove-friendly touchscreen; the brightness compensator in direct sunlight; nokia maps; nokia city lens; nokia drive; nokia music; wireless charging; bright yellow or red or blue colours; the pureview camera; the sound equaliser...etc..etc.. These are all features I thought were NOKIA not WP8?

I'm with TerenceJohn27. I bought my Lumia 920 for the above reasons, and not at all because it was a windows operating system. If anything, that was the one thing I did not want. It's ok, and the tiles are quite nice, but really, most if not all of those innovations could/would have been introduced on a Meego phone, or a Nokia android or whatever. they didn't need Microsoft windows OS for most if not all those features.

To say that he should be perfectly happy with what comes in the future is also hogwash. Microsoft are not Nokia, and while there will be a transitional period where much might feel the same, it will be a completely different beast in the years to come. The quality and innovation may remain. It may not. The people/talent/creativity is exactly what made Nokia what it was, and currently is. The chief Lumia designer Marko Ahtisaari already announced yesterday he's leaving. Loads of previous staff are now bringing out the Jolla phone, using the Elop-abandoned Meego platform.

So to say that the Lumia's future will be shaped by the same people is nonsense. It is what it is however. I for one am very disappointed and sad. The Finnish influence, and their commitment to good work ethics, sustainability, labour rights, decent pay, recycling, producing products in Europe, treating employees well, etc. - is pretty much gone for good. The race to the bottom between Microsoft and Apple to produce things cheaper and cheaper via the far-East will continue. The brand and the logo and the ethics of the company certainly DO matter. One only has to look at the Greenpeace 'Green Electronics' Scorecards year on year... Nokia always near the top. As a small part of the wider behemoth that is Microsoft, there is no certainty that any of what you say will eventuate. So it is completely reasonable and fair for someone to say they bought a WP phone for the hardware rather than the software. I certainly did.

tobz121

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
that's a over-simplification of reality. The short-term won't see massive change, but mid-longer it impacts massively on Finland and Europe for one thing. People on this side of the Atlantic bought Nokias for their build and innovation. Whether that remains with MS in charge is anyone's guess. MS have done ok with XBox, but their influence over other hardware thus far has been an utter failure - Microsoft KIN anyone? Surface RT tablet anyone? (yes the fanboys in here like them, but the $900 million loss on these says otherwise in the actual real world!)

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
to be honest i really don't care if they are going to use a different name i bought lumia not because of brand name i bought it because of the hardware quality, windows phone OS and innovation which is still is available but under different brand name i think windows phone going to have a better future after both companies becoming one

TerenceJohn27

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
You dont know how it feels... When your favorite mobile brand a company that you love and support for many years will come to its end. I dont know about windows phone before until Nokia used it, majority of WP users came from Nokia Fans those who are using Symbian, S40, S30 and MeeGo. If Nokia choose Android instead of Windows Phone, I am probably using Android right now.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree that loosing the Nokia brand in the WP ecosystem may negatively impact sales. However, we aren't talking about the same things.

My reply was to someone that posted at WPC. I assume such a person has a bit more than just a passive and mild interest in smartphone technology. IMHO none of us here at WPC are so ignorant, that we should have to resort to brand names as a means of making our smartphone purchasing choices. Brand based marketing is targeted at people who know little to nothing about the actual products, but that isn't us, is it? We know a lot more about what is going on in the smartphone industry and we're far more aware of our own technological wants and needs, so we should be able to better judge devices on their actual merits and what is important to us, rather than just by the brand sticker. In this case, the enthusiast community should also recognize that the same people who made the devices we enjoyed, are still making new devices, just under a different name.

I don't expect the average consumer to pick up on that though... that would be asking too much.

For me ,

Brand = Trust

In general ,
MS = I don't trust
Nokia = I trust

Its as simple as this :
Two phone with same specifications and same OS ,
HTC - Few people trust - Few people buy
Samsung - Most people trust - More people buy

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
You dont know how it feels... When your favorite mobile brand a company that you love and support for many years will come to its end. I dont know about windows phone before until Nokia used it, majority of WP users came from Nokia Fans those who are using Symbian, S40, S30 and MeeGo. If Nokia choose Android instead of Windows Phone, I am probably using Android right now.
i grow up using nokia phones but the way i look at it as if it forced to change brand name from one to another who drove nokia for many years with awesome hardware still going to produce more awesome hardware / software with microsoft help

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't trust HTC. But if they bought Nokia, then I'd give their new handsets a chance.

For those of you who don't trust MS. Why do you think they bought Nokia devices and services? Do t you think it's because they know the quality that comes along with it? Dont you think that they would want to preserve that quality?

Also remember that MS just went through a MAJOR reorg. They're streamlining the entire operation to try to be more agile and reduce the amount of red tape that existed between divisions.

Now the next thing I hope they change is how they rate employee performance. It's bad for morale to always take a certain percentage and label them low performers. I think they need to accept the possibility that sometimes a place can be filled with stellar people even within the bottom 10% if you did a good job at hiring and leading.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't really get the 'I don't trust MS' thinking either.

Here's something got get into your heads, hopefully.

The Nokia brand name and probably Lumia will disappear eventually. They only have them for 10 years max but most likely they'll go sooner.

MS owns the OS on your phone. Personally if I didn't trust them I wouldn't own the phone. Nokia was hardware only. If you're only going on hardware with WP then I don't get why you're bothering with the platform.

The only thing that will hopefully come out of this is that MS will use the Nokia engineers well and create good products that people will want. That's all we can hope for. Whether it's branded Nokia or MS or Lumia makes little difference at the end of the day. It's Windows Phone regardless.

Can we please move on now?

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Now the next thing I hope they change is how they rate employee performance. It's bad for morale to always take a certain percentage and label them low performers. I think they need to accept the possibility that sometimes a place can be filled with stellar people even within the bottom 10% if you did a good job at hiring and leading.

Welcome to the tech world. That's pretty universal for tech firms above a certain size, where executive decisions are driven by metrics. You can't base decisions on individual personalities, you have to quantify things; otherwise you have a steaming hot mess of a workforce.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the tech world. That's pretty universal for tech firms above a certain size, where executive decisions are driven by metrics. You can't base decisions on individual personalities, you have to quantify things; otherwise you have a steaming hot mess of a workforce.
Apple, Google, and Amazon dont do that do they?

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Apple, Google, and Amazon dont do that do they?

I don't have firsthand knowledge, but if they don't, they're not managing their resources properly.

I worked for an automotive supplier several years ago. They were started out by a guy who liked to "manage by walking around." He made it a point to know everyone. At least, he did in the beginning. The company got up to 3000 employees (which is still much smaller than any of the tech companies we're talking about) and his business partners (i.e., the banks who financed the company's credit line) pointed out to him that while you can "manage by walking around" when you have a hundred employees, you simply can't do that once you grow past a certain point, and they forced him to adopt a more structured employee appraisal system. When he had 100 employees, he knew best how to handle them, who to assign to what project, who needed help, who needed to go. With 3000 employees, you can't possibly know people with enough depth to make those judgments, so you have to quantify their relative value. When you do that, you're going to have Golden Boys who are obviously very talented and get things done, and also the Bottom 10% who you need to more actively manage, and at least some of whom are liabilities rather than assets to the company.

Remember that companies want to maximize production for each employee while minimizing their outlay for that employee. That's how they make money. Once you're much past Small Business status, you can't know employees individually to the extent that you can effectively manage them, you have to depend on metrics. So you come up with a measure of their performance and compare it to how much they're getting paid, and try to maximize the production/compensation ratio. If an employee gets paid a lot, but is only so-so in terms of production, they may be labeled bottom 10%. Another employee may be a low-paid new hire but producing the same level of work as the first guy. They both produce the same amount of revenue for the company, but one is paid a lot less. If you have to lay someone off due to a downturn, it's gonna be that first guy. But it's not a subjective thing; it's all done with numbers and metrics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234