Official NFL Thread - 2013

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how anyone hates a team. I'm a huge Pats, Sox and C's fan. Naturally, I root against their division and traditional rivals. But I don't hate the Jets, Colts, or Broncos (actually an almost equally huge Broncos fan). I don't hate the Yankees or Rays. I don't hate the Lakers or Heat.

With that being said, I dont know how you equate the Pats to the Braves when one team has one title to show from all of their success and the other has three. Not to mention the Pats (and as was mentioned Peyton and his Colts teams) play(ed) in an era where no one is supposed to have this kind of success. The league is set up so teams can go from first to worst and vice versa in such little time. So there is no way you can compare the two. I guarantee you there are about 25 other teams who wish they had the kind of success the Pats have had.

And last, the whole idea that Spygate played a part in their success is silly. Prior to getting in trouble, it had been about two or three seasons since they had last won. And even after they got caught, they proceeded to go undefeated that same season. Their issues had and have been an aging and young defense, a lack of dependable weapons surrounding Brady and, IMO, the league having caught up to Belichick and the Patriots way of doing things with Belichick arrogantly at times sticking to his way or the highway.

Maybe hate is not the right word, but I think I speak for many who use that word loosely when referring to sports teams. I wasn't equating the Braves' number of championships to the Patriots. Heck, my sorry-a** Marlins have two titles and have never even won their division. I was alluding to the fact that both teams have won multiple division titles in succession and don't have more championships to show for it. 2005 was NE's last title season, a football eternity.

Parity has been around all major sports for a long time. Free agency, salary-dumping trades and salary cap liabilities have done more to strengthen parity than the rules themselves or the wishes of the Commissioner. Good front offices know how to play the system and rely on good scouting to keep 'em in the game. How else can you explain Tampa Bay (the old days) or Detroit having top 5 draft picks year in and year out and still suck while teams like NE, Pittsburgh & Green Bay usually pick low first round and are in the playoffs. Talent evaluation. That's how a player like Wes Welker gets cast off in Miami (us fans knew what we had) and goes on to a probable HOF career with NE.

Lastly, I said I'm no conspiracy theorist, but you gotta admit that it's very coincidental.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Since the dreaded" Spy Gate", New England is 76-20, won the AFC East each year, and has been AFC champs twice, and lost in the AFC Championship game 2 other times.

Dare I say it: No other team would be criticized for that record but New England.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Maybe hate is not the right word, but I think I speak for many who use that word loosely when referring to sports teams. I wasn't equating the Braves' number of championships to the Patriots. Heck, my sorry-a** Marlins have two titles and have never even won their division. I was alluding to the fact that both teams have won multiple division titles in succession and don't have more championships to show for it. 2005 was NE's last title season, a football eternity.

Parity has been around all major sports for a long time. Free agency, salary-dumping trades and salary cap liabilities have done more to strengthen parity than the rules themselves or the wishes of the Commissioner. Good front offices know how to play the system and rely on good scouting to keep 'em in the game. How else can you explain Tampa Bay (the old days) or Detroit having top 5 draft picks year in and year out and still suck while teams like NE, Pittsburgh & Green Bay usually pick low first round and are in the playoffs. Talent evaluation. That's how a player like Wes Welker gets cast off in Miami (us fans knew what we had) and goes on to a probable HOF career with NE.

Lastly, I said I'm no conspiracy theorist, but you gotta admit that it's very coincidental.

I think Parity is more of an NFL thing. Sure, other sports have had teams with quick turn arounds and drop-offs. But not at the rate the NFL has. Can't speak for the NHL seeing as i don't watch hockey. And I think we clearly both agree that some organizations have figured this thing out.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Since the dreaded" Spy Gate", New England is 76-20, won the AFC East each year, and has been AFC champs twice, and lost in the AFC Championship game 2 other times.

Dare I say it: No other team would be criticized for that record but New England.

As Lee Corso would say, "not so fast". My 'Phins won the AFC Least in '08 when Noodle-Arm Chad Pennington played his heart out and led us to a 11-5 record after the 1-15 disaster the year before.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Parity is more of an NFL thing. Sure, other sports have had teams with quick turn arounds and drop-offs. But not at the rate the NFL has. Can't speak for the NHL seeing as i don't watch hockey. And I think we clearly both agree that some organizations have figured this thing out.

Bruthas don't watch hockey? Come on man, it's just a bunch of fun-lovin' good 'ol boys with sticks. It's cool, Cubans don't get it either.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Oddly enough, my dad loves hockey and is a huge Bruins fan.

I'm sure there have been more, but the only Black man I've ever seen in the NHL played here for the Panthers, Peter Worrell. One tough sumbitch. I don't follow the game but the local news sports highlights always involved him in a fight, which he usually won.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure there have been more, but the only Black man I've ever seen in the NHL played here for the Panthers, Peter Worrell. One tough sumbitch. I don't follow the game but the local news sports highlights always involved him in a fight, which he usually won.

There was Anson Carter, who played for the Bruins at one point.. One guy recently who was on the end of some nasty language from fans on Twitter or something like that . Can't remember the team.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As Lee Corso would say, "not so fast". My 'Phins won the AFC Least in '08 when Noodle-Arm Chad Pennington played his heart out and led us to a 11-5 record after the 1-15 disaster the year before.

*slaps own face*

You are correct, sir!! Please do not sick Pennywise on me!!

However, I still think New England as a franchise has been nothing short of this centuries equal to the 1970's Steelers and 1980's -1990's 49ers. Just amazingly succesful.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Snowmutt, what are your thoughts on this Josh Freeman situation with your bucs? I haven't had much time to look into it, but looks like he wants a trade. Are you confident in the backups?

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I just posted in the Apps thread, but wanted to post here since too.

If you have the ability to access NFL Mobile app's premium content, which I believe is limited to Verizon customers - check it out this weekend. There's a promotion this weekend where you have 60 minutes of free video access. So you can use that 60 minutes to watch the Red Zone, Sunday Night Football or Monday Night Football.

Pretty nice, I'm watching it now because my TV game is at halftime.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Did anybody notice the Fish Fry they had in the Big Easy last night? My 'Phins got their collective a**es handed to them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss