Official NFL Thread - 2013

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
RANDOM RULE:

In the Dallas game, even though the player went out of bounds, since he went BACKWARDS out of bounds, the clock kept running. You have to be moving FORWARDS to stop the clock.

HUH??? WHO MAKES THIS CRAP UP??

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Palandri:

Please give me a moment to hold you through the computer. I know you need the shoulder to cry on.....

*Palandri reaches through computer, throws temper tantrum instead, beating poor snowmutt repeatedly*

Crap. Forgot Bears fans react different to their team choking away an entire season then most other fans.

First Aid kit.... where did I leave that stupid first aid kit.....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay- What is the best guess for number of coaches getting canned before the play-offs begin?

Browns axe their coach after one year (Laura just is probably numb to this by now!!), and we know Shanahan is gone. At least 2.

I am throwing out 6. (Not including Houston.)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Okay- What is the best guess for number of coaches getting canned before the play-offs begin?

Browns axe their coach after one year (Laura just is probably numb to this by now!!), and we know Shanahan is gone. At least 2.

I am throwing out 6. (Not including Houston.)

That's right, it's Black Monday. I would say 5 or 6. I read that Washington has fired Mike Shanahan already, as you mentioned, so that's one down.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Add Frazier from the Vikings to the list.

I feel bad about that one. Frazier was such a great player with the Bears, I thought he would make a great coach, but that didn't happen. Isn't the owner of the Viking's being investigated for fraud charges or something like that?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I feel bad about that one. Frazier was such a great player with the Bears, I thought he would make a great coach, but that didn't happen. Isn't the owner of the Viking's being investigated for fraud charges or something like that?

It's the owner of the Browns, not the Vikes, when I last read about the fraud investigation. Another reason probably when Laura is numb to all this. I think Schwartz in DET and Schiano in TB are on the chopping block too.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's the owner of the Browns, not the Vikes, when I last read about the fraud investigation. Another reason probably when Laura is numb to all this. I think Schwartz in DET and Schiano in TB are on the chopping block too.

I think Schiano might be safe. He proved himself right about Freeman and his team put up a fight. Too bad about Chud, I always side with former 'Canes. Shanahan was a given Schwartz is probably history.

If I'm Stephen Ross, I would add Joe Philbin to the coaching carnage today. No excuse for having such lifeless teams hit the field two weeks in a row with the playoffs on the line.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think Schiano might be safe. He proved himself right about Freeman and his team put up a fight. Too bad about Chud, I always side with former 'Canes. Shanahan was a given Schwartz is probably history.

If I'm Stephen Ross, I would add Joe Philbin to the coaching carnage today. No excuse for having such lifeless teams hit the field two weeks in a row with the playoffs on the line.

and they just announced that Schiano and GM Dominik are out in TB....

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

And Schwartz is out in DET too. I suppose Philbin could get the boot based on the Icognito situation or the clunkers in the last two weeks, but I'm guessing he may still survive. We're still waiting on another curveball dismissal though...

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Vikings should have kept Frazier and fired the GM.

I don't really know which teams to root for in these playoffs. Maybe Carolina since they play well on both sides of the ball.

I do know that I would like to see Manning and Brady eliminated.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't really know which teams to root for in these playoffs. Maybe Carolina since they play well on both sides of the ball.

I do know that I would like to see Manning and Brady eliminated.

Well, Brady won't do much this year. Manning should get to the AFC championship game though...not sure past that.
Waiting to see if Munchak in TEN will join the chopping block. Some of these teams underachieved and have some serious QB issues..

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, Brady won't do much this year. Manning should get to the AFC championship game though...not sure past that.
Waiting to see if Munchak in TEN will join the chopping block. Some of these teams underachieved and have some serious QB issues..

AFC is a bit wide open, IMO. For as amazing Manning was this season, his track record for playoff failure has me in in wait and see mode. Plus that defense is suspect as well. And while the Pats have their issues, LeGarrette Blount is clearly the X Factor now in the situation. If they can get him going like they did against Buffalo, they will be tough to handle. At the end of the day, I guess Denver should get the benefit of the doubt in getting to the SB just based on their impressive regular season (at least offensively). However, I think it would be unwise to dismiss how flawed the AFC is compared to the NFC (which its teams aren't without their issues either)

And I'm hoping for a Manning/Brady championship game. These guys are at the tail end of their careers. Gotta get these moments as much as you can.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

There was zero- like none- indication what Tampa ownership was going to do. That is why most people thought Schiano was safe.

Both Dominik (who was with the Bucs organization for 20 years, starting as a scout) and Schiano? With no gossip? Wow.

I heard Lovie Smith and Gary Kubiack were the coaches Tampa is the most interested in, with a couple coordinators on the short list as well. No idea which names. While I know neither of those former coaches will excite anyone, I am fine with either, but pulling for Lovie. I think the man is a very good coach that will be extremely driven if given a second shot.

Someone is going to have to explain to me Jason Garrett not getting canned.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I am betting we see Mr. Frazier get another shot in a couple years from now. I thought we saw a lot of good things from him. There was never the "bone-head" plays from his team, they weren't sloppy as far as stupid peneties, and his game management wasn't horrid. Just didn't seem like they could put a full 4 quarter effort out every game. That may have been more the players.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am kinda cheering for Carolina. Like their story this year. But, I worry they will not be ready for the "playoff intensity". Worried they were the worst team to have a week off. They were rolling, fairly healthy, and young enough to not care about that 2 seed. A week off listening to the home town crowd crow about how good they are and the coaching staff may not be able to get them focused.

I find myself cheering for Denver only to shut up these sports morons that say Mannings legacy will be "tainted" if he ONLY has one SuperBowl win to his name. Dumbest crap ever. Ask Tarkenton, Kelly, and Marino if they would like to be "tainted" in such a way.

Why is only QB's get held to that stupid "SuperBowl" wins standard? Never hear anyone say "Barry Sanders is a great RB, but he never won the big one." **** Butkus is reconized as one of the top 5 LB's of all time, and I am not sure if he ever got a playoff win.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Someone is going to have to explain to me Jason Garrett not getting canned.

The short answer: two words - Jerry Jones.

The long version - the Cowboys are and have been a .500 for the last 10+ years. Jerry likes the spotlight on him, so they're mired in mediocrity. It don't both me - as long as my Giants keep beating them, especially in DAL, I'm fine with Jerry continually getting in his own way from a personnel standpoint...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I am kinda cheering for Carolina. Like their story this year. But, I worry they will not be ready for the "playoff intensity". Worried they were the worst team to have a week off. They were rolling, fairly healthy, and young enough to not care about that 2 seed. A week off listening to the home town crowd crow about how good they are and the coaching staff may not be able to get them focused.

I find myself cheering for Denver only to shut up these sports morons that say Mannings legacy will be "tainted" if he ONLY has one SuperBowl win to his name. Dumbest crap ever. Ask Tarkenton, Kelly, and Marino if they would like to be "tainted" in such a way.

Why is only QB's get held to that stupid "SuperBowl" wins standard? Never hear anyone say "Barry Sanders is a great RB, but he never won the big one." **** Butkus is reconized as one of the top 5 LB's of all time, and I am not sure if he ever got a playoff win.

So here's my SB pick that I used in the office pool: Denver and Carolina.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss