Official NFL Thread - 2013

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
There was zero- like none- indication what Tampa ownership was going to do. That is why most people thought Schiano was safe.

Both Dominik (who was with the Bucs organization for 20 years, starting as a scout) and Schiano? With no gossip? Wow.

I heard Lovie Smith and Gary Kubiack were the coaches Tampa is the most interested in, with a couple coordinators on the short list as well. No idea which names. While I know neither of those former coaches will excite anyone, I am fine with either, but pulling for Lovie. I think the man is a very good coach that will be extremely driven if given a second shot.

Someone is going to have to explain to me Jason Garrett not getting canned.

The Cowboys are like the NFL's version of insanity. Or its just pure arrogance on Jerry Jones' part to think his vision will magically produce different results.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The Cowboys are like the NFL's version of insanity. Or its just pure arrogance on Jerry Jones' part to think his vision will magically produce different results.

He had success with Jimmy Johnson. After the second SB, Jones said "anybody could coach the Cowboys" and JJ split. He brought in Barry Switzer and they won again. The seed was planted.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
To win the office pool, I've got upsets this week - Chargers, Colts, 49ers, Saints.

Championship Sunday I have Denver vs Colts, Carolina vs Seattle.

Overall, I've got Carolina vs Denver with Denver winning it all.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay... NOW you all have done it. You have crossed into predictions, and I am forced to play along, thereby jinxing some poor sports team to flame out in dismal defeat.

Just remember, this was NOT my fault.

In the NFC wildcard: Both road teams strike gold. San Fran ALWAYS beats Green Bay these days. And I just have a gut feeling New Orleans will win in the play-offs on the road to shut critics up.

AFC wildcard: I've got Cinncy dropping a serious whupping on San Diego. The game I am totally lost on is KC VS Indy. I am going to pick the home team, as Indy is truly great at home. But if KC wins, I will not be shocked. Ried has had his team ready for every team not playing in Colorado this year, so I am sure if Indy does not play well out of the gate, KC could really run with this one.

NFC Divisional Round: Saints are sent to Seattle, where every bad thing that has happened to them over the last couple trips happens again: It is over at the coin flip. San Fran comes in focused, ready for bear, and wanting to punch Carolina in the nose. Problem is: Carolina punches back. What's more, Ron Rivera allows Cam Newton to play to his strengths, Younger Harbough has really not allowed Kaepernick to go be himself. Panthers win.

AFC Division: Colts to Denver where the crowd, Manning, coaches, and weather are all ready to get even for their first loss of the season. Cinncy heads to N.E., where the clock strikes midnight. Not for the Bengels, but for New England. I have no idea how they have won so much this year, and maybe I am stupid to pick against Bellichek with 2 weeks to prepare. Not like Marvin Lewis has done anything ever in the play-offs. But, I am. So there.

Championships: Denver drops 50 on the Bengals, and in a true defensive struggle I would love to see, Carolina edges Seattle by 3 in a game neither team scores over 20 points.

I am with MSFTisMIA:

Denver scores early, Carolina makes it a game and takes a late lead, Manning shuts everyone up once and for all in the last 2 drives of the SuperBowl to win by 10.

(This is gonna be ugly for someones team. I am so sorry ahaead of time...)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Lovie!! Lovie!! Lovie!!

*does happy Bucs dance...realizes he is dancing alone, doesn't care*

I will happily take a recycled coach that is at least respected. Mr. Smith may not rack up the SuperBowl wins, but I am pleased with the hire.

Good Luck Laura.... The Browns have a strange list of coach interviews. I hope they get this one right.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
By the way: MFSTisMIA: What is the long term weather report for New York during the SuperBowl?

Surely, some weather man is taking a stab at a prediction a month in advance. Will we have a white SuperBowl???

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I liked Lovie Smith while he was with the Bears. They were pretty consistent for the most part. Offense wasn't great, but they were able to succeed as a team on a fair number of occasions. The Bucs just might be my 2nd team now ;)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
By the way: MFSTisMIA: What is the long term weather report for New York during the SuperBowl?

Surely, some weather man is taking a stab at a prediction a month in advance. Will we have a white SuperBowl???

Hard to say. Last winter we never really had a storm as bad as the one we have going on now. If someone wants to predict that far out, be my guest...
I read something recently that the Superbowl committee has a contingency plan in place to play the Superbowl on a Tuesday if we get anything similar to the weather we got today around Superbowl weekend. This should be very interesting...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lovie!! Lovie!! Lovie!!

I will happily take a recycled coach that is at least respected. Mr. Smith may not rack up the SuperBowl wins, but I am pleased with the hire.

Good Luck Laura.... The Browns have a strange list of coach interviews. I hope they get this one right.

At least that recycled coach has been to the Super Bowl.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say. Last winter we never really had a storm as bad as the one we have going on now. If someone wants to predict that far out, be my guest...

I read something recently that the Superbowl committee has a contingency plan in place to play the Superbowl on a Tuesday if we get anything similar to the weather we got today around Superbowl weekend. This should be very interesting...

Super Tuesday? I thought that term was reserved for politics.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Lovie!! Lovie!! Lovie!!

I fear that no coach in his right mind will want to work for the Browns, given how the organization has treated past coaches.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I fear that no coach in his right mind will want to work for the Browns, given how the organization has treated past coaches.

Yeah, that is why we worry for your team. It is going to take a very strong commitment from ownership to get a strong candidate to take that job.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well, there is hope for you yet - the Raiders haven't been great to coaches recently, but they still get someone to take their job. I mean, from a personnel perspective, the Browns aren't that bad. There is a good defense there, a few good offensive weapons too. QB is a need, TE is a need, RB is a need, and defensive depth is a need. Fix those, and go 3-3 in the division, and your club could be a playoff contender.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Another good move. Again, TB is like Cleveland, where there is stuff there to work with. Is Mike Glennon the guy? Possibly, if you're asking him to manage the game and olay to the team's strengths. But they need to bring in a veteran to push him, add some depth at RB and on defense. I don't think they should play a pure cover 2, but I'm sure you'll see a ton of it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Many teams out there have QB issues. Cleveland, TB, my Jags, Houston, Tennessee, NYJ (to some degree), the Raiders, the Rams, etc. With not many guys in the draft, I'm curious to see how this will get addressed. Mike Vick may actually get to start someplace indeed in 2014...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99