Today...

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I sure don't want snow :) I always moan that I'm living in the wrong country here in the UK as I can't stand the cold weather. I'd love it to be summer all year round, only downside for me though with summer, is that I get really bad hayfever symptoms.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Today, I liberated Rome.

But sadly, had to slaughter more than a few of my ancestors in the process...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If I can watch Live Football on TV there, have good Broadband speeds and have a Fish & Chip Shop down the road, it sounds like a good plan to me ;)

Move to Australia, specifically Brisbane or further north. The coldest it gets is 16C (daytime) in Brisbane and further north is the tropics. Which can be a bit too hot.

The sun is out quite a bit but it does rain from to time to, usually flooding. And bush fires as well. Then there's all the other things that people get uptight about when they think of Australia, like snakes, spiders and crocs (though they're further north) as well as sharks and other deadly things in the water. But hey, it's nice weather! :)

But we do have fish and chips (you can have it by the beach!), good broadband (though the current government wants to kill the fibre to home broadband roll out) and well, football in Australia is a bit different. :p

(I'm an expat Aussie/Canadian in the UK)

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Move to Australia, specifically Brisbane or further north. The coldest it gets is 16C (daytime) in Brisbane and further north is the tropics. Which can be a bit too hot.

The sun is out quite a bit but it does rain from to time to, usually flooding. And bush fires as well. Then there's all the other things that people get uptight about when they think of Australia, like snakes, spiders and crocs (though they're further north) as well as sharks and other deadly things in the water. But hey, it's nice weather! :)

But we do have fish and chips (you can have it by the beach!), good broadband (though the current government wants to kill the fibre to home broadband roll out) and well, football in Australia is a bit different. :p

(I'm an expat Aussie/Canadian in the UK)

Thanks for the rundown on what to expect :) I've always liked the thought of moving abroad one day. Won't be just yet, need to get a bit more money behind me etc, but one day I hope it will happen. Southern US or Australia have always been the two I've had in mind. Australia sounds good apart from I'm scared of spiders, so will have to get something sorted with that if I want a warm environment to live in ;)

Today... I'm dreaming of moving abroad.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the rundown on what to expect :) I've always liked the thought of moving abroad one day. Won't be just yet, need to get a bit more money behind me etc, but one day I hope it will happen. Southern US or Australia have always been the two I've had in mind. Australia sounds good apart from I'm scared of spiders, so will have to get something sorted with that if I want a warm environment to live in ;)

Today... I'm dreaming of moving abroad.

Most of the spiders in Australia you see are not that dangerous, big, but not dangerous. This is the most common you run across: Huntsman spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for moving to Australia, though I've been away for about three years now, I think it may have become more difficult to migrate there. Last thing I heard is that you needed to be invited to submit a visa application. So unless you marry an Aussie or you have some skill they're looking for, it may be difficult. If you're young you can get a holiday working visa. As for the US, I know it's not easy to get in there either. More or less the same rules apply as Australia, though they are even more protective of their workforce.

Personally, I like the UK and I like being close to the EU. I find it more fascinating.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I knew I shouldn't have clicked on that link!

Sounds a little tricky to get in then. Although, I have no problem in countries enforcing these type of things to protect their workforce etc. I hadn't looked into it in much detail as it may be a few years off, but maybe I should get some research done into it sooner rather than later. I'm young enough for the holiday working visa by the looks of it, not married, no kids, so I'm not restricted by too much. Maybe marrying a native of the US or Aus is the key for me ;)

It's good to hear you like the UK, it does have a lot going for it, but there are a few things I don't like (although you'll probably find this with anywhere you live). On the whole though I like it here, but always thought I may like it a lot better elsewhere, especially with the climate, as I love hot weather and very much dislike any coldness (opposite to my family, they hate the hot summers).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I knew I shouldn't have clicked on that link!

The trick is not to kill them but to capture and release. They make mess otherwise. I personally don't like the giant cockroaches myself.

Sounds a little tricky to get in then. Although, I have no problem in countries enforcing these type of things to protect their workforce etc. I hadn't looked into it in much detail as it may be a few years off, but maybe I should get some research done into it sooner rather than later. I'm young enough for the holiday working visa by the looks of it, not married, no kids, so I'm not restricted by too much. Maybe marrying a native of the US or Aus is the key for me ;)

Going when young is your best bet. Having some sort of skill on their skill shortage list is the other. If you have the right skills a company will help you migrate.

It's good to hear you like the UK, it does have a lot going for it, but there are a few things I don't like (although you'll probably find this with anywhere you live). On the whole though I like it here, but always thought I may like it a lot better elsewhere, especially with the climate, as I love hot weather and very much dislike any coldness (opposite to my family, they hate the hot summers).

All places have have good points and bad. I have no plans to live in Australia or Canada again unless something seriously goes wrong. I have to visit Canada as that's where the parents are but Australia isn't necessary, so the only reason to go there is just because.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven